James Krenov

I was checking out James Krenov's website at http://jameskrenov.com/default.htm and was wondering if anyone knows how much his pieces go for.
Would this be one of those situations where the term, "If you have to ask, you can't afford it" applies?
Works by any world renowned master generally are. Looking at the link you included, he sure builds some beautiful items!
DexAZ

Make your own Krenov piece. Here is a shelf in the style of Krenov: http://denali.frontier.iarc.uaf.edu:8080/~cswingle/woodworking/images/wall_h ung_shelves.pdf
DexAZ

A lot of shops price about 3X material. That would put some of his stuff in the $300 to $600 range I'd guess ;) Ed

http://jameskrenov.com/august_work.htm is $11,000 U.S. I guess there must be almost $3700 in material ;-)

Shame he didn't spend another couple of minutes with a $50 block plane to line the goddam doors up.
That would drive me _crazy._ But, he's Krenov, and I'm not, so what do I know?
Michael

This makes the point of choosing a good craftsman or contractor. Maybe he screwed up the first 10 or 12 and is adding in the material cost for them also.
Seriously though, the guys that seem to think 3X material is the way to go are often missing opportunities. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

to 50% of the selling price. Krenov retains roughly $5500. If he works two to three weeks (I don't really have a clue how many hours go into one of his pieces but for the sake of discussion, let's assume I'm close), then he has roughly 100 hours, give or take, in a cabinet. Subtract a few hundred for materials, a few hundred for shop costs, and Krenov maybe gets the equivalent of $50 per hour. My plumber gets $50 per hour. The electrician gets more. Both are good at what they do, but hardly artists - and certainly haven't influenced several generations of aspiring woodworkers. If $11,000 is really the number, I think it's a bargain. My opinion is not based on what I can afford - I can't - only commenting on perceived value and relative value. Krenov's work, as an expression of his vision of the world, as a reflection of who he is as a craftsperson, is valuable. IMO, worth every penny of the $50 per hour - and frankly, quite a lot more.
Rick
Rick Stein wrote:

I wonder how much Pablo paid for paint and canvas. ?
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio
Why would someone as famous as James Krenov feel the need to sell his cabinets at Pritam and Eames? With the success of the books he has written I can't imaging he would need a gallery to sell his work. I would think he has more commissions than he could handle.
I did write him a letter about 3 or 4 years ago while he was still working at College of Redwoods to commission a piece for me and didn't even get a reply back. Not that I could have afforded $11,000

Good question. Today your statement is correct and I'm sure he could sell whatever he can make. But what about years ago?
Many artists are very talented and skilled in certain areas, but have no clue how to promote and market themselves or their products. Thus, the gallery earns their 40% or so by getting you more than you could on your own and getting your name recognized.
Of course I have no idea of the specifics of this deal, but without P & E, would Krenov be selling his cabinets at craft shows? Look at the numbers Rick came up with. They may be correct. Take P & E out of the picture and what would that same cabinet sell for? I know that if he came to the art and crafts show that we just had in our town, those cabinets would have brought in as much as $400 or so. (Krenov? Never heard of him) Take them to another town (New Hope, PA for one) and maybe $1500. Take them to P & E and well, you see what they bring. Ed
snipped-for-privacy@snet.net says...

I'll take two - they're small ;-)
Godzilla

Pawlowski, have you no shame?