Jack and smoother...

Hello !
I just received the LV bevel up low angle jack plane
It my first high quality plane am very impressed with the resulting surfaces (smooth glass finish) and the reliable control of the planes adjustements. After flatening a board I have finely adjusted the jack plane to try and use it as a smoothing plane (on trouble free walnut) and am so impressed that I am wondering if would see an improvement if I were to get with it's bevel-up smoothing brother.
Any thoughts ? What the heck could it possibly do better ?
Eric
I've got the BU smoother and I think it's great. But it is pretty close in function to the Jack. Sure, itst a bit shorter an wider, but they are adjacent in the spectrum of planes. I would think that you might get more milage out of a completely different sort of plane like the medium shoulder plane if you don't have that in your arsenal.
One of these days I have to pick up an apron plane. I saw one used at an LV seminar. It's just a small block plane. I just about never use the full width or length of a block plane, so the reduced size is only a plus. I'm just hesitant because then I woul probably never pick up my modern era, but resonably well-fetted, Stanley block plane again.
-Steve

Stephen M wrote:

Save up a bit more and go for the one with the adjustable mouth - even better.
Stephen M wrote:

True.
You are a wise man. You have planted the seed of the next dent in my monthly spending budget.
:)