Iturra Design Bandsaw Catalog

Just got my Iturra bandsaw catalog today. Damn! I don't know *why* I waited sooo long to get one. I've already suped up my BS with the usual phelonic guides, zero clearance inserts, and link belt...but, I can't wait to supe it up more! I gotta recommend any one who owns a BS to get the catalog...so much info. You will know what I mean when you get it. What to get next for my BS....hmmm?

Layne ps, usual disclaimers apply.

Reply to
Layne

Don'tcha just love his staffers, as pictured in the first few pages? Tom

Reply to
tom

So uh, does this company have a web site?

Reply to
Leon

I would welcome a correction if I'm wrong, but I don't think so. I've always ordered his catalogue by simply (gasp) picking up the phone and calling him. A few days later, there it is in my mailbox, my address having been hand-written on it. Refreshingly low-tech. Great catalogue, too.

Reply to
bradnh

Iturra Design Jacksonville 904-642-2802

888-722-7078

I couldn't find any info on a web site either. As I write this, both phone numbers are busy.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Thank you. I'll start a fire and send a smoke signal... LOL... For a bit higher tech alternative I'll us the phone. I also appreciated the simple catalog/reference manual that the Girshwind Group/ Timberwolf mailed to me. 22 pages.

Reply to
Leon

Thank you, I'll givem a call.

Reply to
Leon

What problems are you having with the saw that would require you to upgrade it?

Reply to
Frank Drackman

"Refreshingly low tech" is the correct term. Don't expect fancy 4 color printing or a website with animation. Expect high quality items at a good price and personal advice and/or research written on every page and on every item he sells. Get Mark Duginske's bandsaw book and this catalog and you'll have all the info and items you need to make your 14" BS run its best....Delta or Jet. Again, slapping head for waiting so long.

Layne

Reply to
Layne

Hi Frank,

I've been very happy with my 14" Delta's performance. It passes the nickel test. But there are little things like wheel and perhaps table shims that I haven't addressed in the past. As well as their ceramic thrust "bearing". A new beefier Iturra tension spring would be nice too. And I've always wanted to get a nice tension wheel. The Carter electronic tension guage is really nice. At first I thought, who really needs that, till I read about it. It constantly monitors blade tension as you cut which is great for resawing and the best feature of all is it'll cut power to the BS with a sudden loss of blade tension when the blade breaks during a cut. Oh, and their guide post counter balancer would save my table, workpieces and fingers from being smashed on those occasions I forget what the hell I'm doing when I loosen that guide post nut. What else...?

Layne

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 08:00:30 -0800, "Frank Drackman"

Reply to
Layne

Will that information also help your 18" BS run its best? :~) I ordered the catalog this morning.

Reply to
Leon

Just called the number. I'm getting a catalog. The sales peron said they have a web site coming. It's being protyped now.

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

Reply to
Never Enough Money

I wonder what made them go with that new fangled idea? ;)

If these guys are as good as everybody says, the website should prove to be very pfofitable for them and handy for us.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Sorry, I am a bit confused. Are you having probems cutting or are you just upgrading because you like the new stuff. Nothing wrong with either, am just trying to figure out what is driving the upgrade.

Frank Drackman

Reply to
Frank Drackman

Well, yes and no. The info can be used for 18 inchers, but Iturra sells items for 14" BSs, namely Delta and Jet, though a lot of the items can be used for other brand 14 inchers. He likes 14" bandsaws...what can I say? You'll know why when you get the catalog. :-)

Layne

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 20:33:33 GMT, "Leon"

Reply to
Layne

HI Frank,

Both! No problems cutting really, though I've been only using my BS for simple stuff. But eventually I'd like to try using it for cutting tenons, dovetails...especially twisted dovetails, and bigger resawing. At present the blade is not 90 degrees to the table front to back and and this poses a problem cutting joints. This is where the table shims come into the picture.

As far as some of the other stuff is concerned...being that the BS is the only big WWing machine in my apartment "workshop" (the other is a

10" Dayton bench top DP) I'd like to incrementally make it better or more convenient (more fun?) to use. I just want to tinker and hotrod it a bit. The chrome plated cast iron tension wheel in the catalog is really nice and would look so pretty on my BS. :-) ...and it *would* make tensioning the blade faster/easier (gotta be practical right?)

Layne

Reply to
Layne

The Iturra catalog is addicting. It's Lee Valley for new bandsaw owners. :-)

Generally I see something that I really need, and can easily find other items to add to the order. These items are often less than $10, so before I know it I added a half-dozen extras.

I got the lube stick with my last order, and this should last me a long LONG time. It's essentially a Chapstick you apply to the blades to make it easier when cutting, but the picture doesn't show the scale. It's the size of a grease gun fitting. A Jumbo Chapstick! I was using PAM before (which is what Duginske suggests), but the lube stick is much faster and easier to apply. You just have to ignore the warnings about applying it to moving parts. :-)

Next time I order, I'm going to get the angle gauges, and perhaps the alternative tips for the dial indicator.

I'm still waiting for a Spinner that will work with the Jet Deluxe 14" saw.

Reply to
Bruce Barnett

Reply to
nospambob