Itty bitty lathe

Page 1 of 2
On the ABPW group it was suggested that a mini lathe might be made from a sewing machine motor with a foot pedal control. Do any of you have an idea how something like that could be made, or perhaps a link to a layout?
I like making little things, cribbage pegs for instance, sometimes little things not any longer than say seven inches.
Any ideas or suggestions or idiot (spell that b.l.o.n.d.e) proof instructions would be greatly appreciated!
--
Kate
______

I resent the implication.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Kate,
Try posting this on rec.crafts.woodturning. There is a wealth of knowledge there that should get you started.
jc

Thanks JC, I think you fellas here have given me enough info to get me going for now.
Kate

I'm sure you could put something together with a sewing machine motor. IMHO, I'm not sure it's worth the effort. You can buy a used mini lathe or pen lathe for less than $100. I see them come up on Craigslist frequently around here and there's always eBay. Unless you were only interested in faceplate turning, there's going to be a lot more hardware required for a lathe with a tailstock, headstock, bed, etc and if I was in the market for such a machine, I wouldn't consider building it. Now, if your goal is to build a small lathe rather than have a small lathe, by all means build it. I'm sure someone here or in the woodturning group can point you in the right direction.
todd
Thanks Todd.. I have been looking at all of these replies and see that there is definitely an easier way. You're absolutely right.
Kate

I'm sure you could put something together with a sewing machine motor. IMHO, I'm not sure it's worth the effort. You can buy a used mini lathe or pen lathe for less than $100. I see them come up on Craigslist frequently around here and there's always eBay. Unless you were only interested in faceplate turning, there's going to be a lot more hardware required for a lathe with a tailstock, headstock, bed, etc and if I was in the market for such a machine, I wouldn't consider building it. Now, if your goal is to build a small lathe rather than have a small lathe, by all means build it. I'm sure someone here or in the woodturning group can point you in the right direction.
todd
on 8/19/2007 5:04 AM Kate said the following:

Dremel used to make a mini Moto-Lathe 700. I still have one from when I made doll house furniture some 20 years ago. Searching on the Dremel site for 'lathe', I get no results, so I guess they don't make them anymore. If you want to buy one, rather than build one for small work, Harbor Freight sells one for $170 http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber607 From the HF picture, it looks more sturdy than my Dremel, which has no cast pieces at all, other than the plastic.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 11:38:14 -0400, willshak wrote:

Proxxon also makes a "micro-lathe". Very good quality, but a little spendy.
Hey Bill, I did look for the Dremel model a few months ago. I too found it unavailable. It looked like a great idea and I even found one on Ebay, but it went for enough money that a better quality mini lathe could have been bought for the same price.
Kate
on 8/19/2007 5:04 AM Kate said the following:

Dremel used to make a mini Moto-Lathe 700. I still have one from when I made doll house furniture some 20 years ago. Searching on the Dremel site for 'lathe', I get no results, so I guess they don't make them anymore. If you want to buy one, rather than build one for small work, Harbor Freight sells one for $170 http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber607 From the HF picture, it looks more sturdy than my Dremel, which has no cast pieces at all, other than the plastic.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

May George Devine rest in peace: If you are only interested in very small turnings and own a drill press you might try looking up "vertilathe"

May George Devine rest in peace: If you are only interested in very small turnings and own a drill press you might try looking up "vertilathe"
I'm not sure I make the connection between Mr. Devine and the topic... Sorry Larry, no drill press either. But lots of good suggestions from all of you.
Kate
Kate wrote:

George Devine marketed the "Vertilathe" and was frequently trying to sell them on this news group.
If you had a drill press something similar is simple to make.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Kate wrote:

George Devine marketed the "Vertilathe" and was frequently trying to sell them on this news group.
If you had a drill press something similar is simple to make.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

That looks interesting... I'll have to try to make one some time soon.
Puckdropper

I think you are smart.
For about $200 you may be able to find a mini-lathe that professionals use. These are not toys. Let me google some prices for you:
Grizzly G9247 VS Mini Wood Lathe $135.95 (Amazon.com product link shortened)
Penn State - Several from $144 and up http://www.pennstateind.com/store/turncrafter-plus-lathe.html
Craftsman $129 http://content.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00922106000P
Jet JML 1014I $249 (Amazon.com product link shortened)88594735&sr=1-2
Harbor Freight $169 http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber607
Rikon $249 http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyIDU08
I think the Jet and Rikon are considered best of the mini-lathes. I don't own either.
Bottom of the list would be Harbor Freight and Craftsman I think
You will need to get a set of some tools, but you can buy them for about $30 for a pen turners's set.
On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 17:20:10 -0400, Maxwell Lol wrote:

I work part-time at Woodcraft and we stock both the Jet and the Rikon. My experience has been that the pen turners prefer the Jet with the electronic variable speed because they like to change speeds a lot. The bowl turners seem to prefer the Rikon because of its 12" swing.
I've got a perfectly good mini-lathe (an old Nova Comet with a gap bed) but I'm really considering the new General mini with the swivel head. I haven't seen a mini with a swivel head since the old Record ones. Of course it costs about twice what the Rikon does :-).
Kate,

You might also look at using a drill. Clamp it down on a bench or solid block and figure out a trigger and you might be able to do with something like that. Also a mini lathe might be good.
In a class, we used drill presses and files to whittle down pegs as ornaments for model trolley cars. It worked.
The early scroll saws where adaptations of sewing machines, I guess you might figure out how make a lathe from the same, but a mini-lathe is better because it will come with all the necessary parts like a bed, motor, chuck, etc.
MJ Wallace

I was looking around Grizzly's web site earlier today and noticed they have a small lathe[1] that uses a drill as the motor for $45. I have no idea if it's any good or not.

Grizzly also has some interesting deals on mini lathes[2][3]. Again, no idea if they're any good or not.
[1]: http://www.grizzly.com/products/H2669 [2]: http://www.grizzly.com/products/G9247 [3]: http://www.grizzly.com/products/G8690

remove ".invalid".
I wonder if I could use this with my Foredom or a dremel, with a foot pedal for control... hmmm... good idea! Their mini lathes are sure reasonable too. It's not as if I am looking for soemthing heavy duty to get my feet wet with.
Thank You
Kate
wrote:

I was looking around Grizzly's web site earlier today and noticed they have a small lathe[1] that uses a drill as the motor for $45. I have no idea if it's any good or not.

Grizzly also has some interesting deals on mini lathes[2][3]. Again, no idea if they're any good or not.
[1]: http://www.grizzly.com/products/H2669 [2]: http://www.grizzly.com/products/G9247 [3]: http://www.grizzly.com/products/G8690

remove ".invalid".
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I actually did that many years ago when making a doll house table.