Its enough to drive you crazy... warping and twisting..

I started a project awhile back.. building a watchbox (basically a jewellery box) based on a design from a client.
I wanted to use quartersawn oak for the sides, and had some mahogany that looked nice for the back and drawer fronts.
I've now decided that I HATE MAHOGANY. Everytime I would cut it, it would twist and warp like crazy.. it was impossible to get any straight edges, on the drawer fronts, never mind some of the other smaller trim pieces. It would warp while cutting, burning the edge, and once jamming the blade when ripping (tripping the breaker on the saw). T I found it so frustrating, I had to put the project aside for a few weeks, before deciding to redo it using cherry and maple. Oh well.. live and learn.
Anyone have the same experience using mahogany?
Mike www.ottawawood.com
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I started a project awhile back.. building a watchbox (basically a jewellery box) based on a design from a client.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I wanted to use quartersawn oak for the sides, and had some mahogany that looked nice for the back and drawer fronts.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I've now decided that I HATE MAHOGANY.&nbsp; Everytime I would cut it, it would twist and warp like crazy.. it was impossible to get any straight edges, on the drawer fronts, never mind some of the other smaller trim pieces.&nbsp;It would warp while cutting, burning the edge, and once jamming the blade when ripping (tripping the breaker on the saw).&nbsp; T&nbsp;I found it so frustrating, I had to put the project aside for a few weeks, before deciding to redo it using cherry and maple.&nbsp; Oh well.. live and learn.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Anyone have the same experience using mahogany?</FONT></DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE> <DIV dir=ltr><FONT face=Arial size=2>Nope; did a coffee table recently and it was well behaved.&nbsp; Isn't mahogany noted for it's stability?</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>
------=

Sounds to me like you got a bad batch -- not dried properly, or maybe reaction wood. I haven't done a lot of work with mahogany... but I've found it to be a remarkably well-behaved wood, nothing like the problems you describe.
--
Regards,
I started a project awhile back.. building a watchbox (basically a jewellery box) based on a design from a client.
I wanted to use quartersawn oak for the sides, and had some mahogany that looked nice for the back and drawer fronts.
I've now decided that I HATE MAHOGANY. Everytime I would cut it, it would twist and warp like crazy.. it was impossible to get any straight edges, on the drawer fronts, never mind some of the other smaller trim pieces. It would warp while cutting, burning the edge, and once jamming the blade when ripping (tripping the breaker on the saw). T I found it so frustrating, I had to put the project aside for a few weeks, before deciding to redo it using cherry and maple. Oh well.. live and learn.
Anyone have the same experience using mahogany?
Mike www.ottawawood.com
I've always had good results working with Mahogany. Mahogany is very stable and the grain is straight. Is the grain straight? It might be a stressed section, like a branch - if it is, the stress is relieved each time you rip it. Rip it thicker and plane to size.
Dave
Mike Mac wrote: > I started a project awhile back.. building a watchbox (basically a jewellery box) based on a design from a client. > > I wanted to use quartersawn oak for the sides, and had some mahogany that looked nice for the back and drawer fronts. > > I've now decided that I HATE MAHOGANY. Everytime I would cut it, it would twist and warp like crazy.. it was impossible to get any straight edges, on the drawer fronts, never mind some of the other smaller trim pieces. It would warp while cutting, burning the edge, and once jamming the blade when ripping (tripping the breaker on the saw). T I found it so frustrating, I had to put the project aside for a few weeks, before deciding to redo it using cherry and maple. Oh well.. live and learn.
Doesn't sound like Honduras mahogany to me.
You sure this isn't something masquerading as real mahogany?
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Not like any of the standard varieties of Philippine mahogany either.
Mike Mac wrote:

Strange. Never had any problem with mahogany. In fact, mahogany is so stable it was often used for slide rules, rulers, and drafting equipment. In fact I've got a ruler in my drawer that the base is mahogany, brand name Lutz (just to indicate quality).
Mike Mac wrote:

twist and warp like crazy.. it was impossible to get any straight edges, on the drawer fronts, never mind some of the other smaller trim pieces. It would warp while cutting, burning the edge, and once jamming the blade when ripping (tripping the breaker on the saw). T I found it so frustrating, I had to put the project aside for a few weeks, before deciding to redo it using cherry and maple. Oh well.. live and learn.

african mahogany? lauan, perhaps?
On 10 Sep 2006 22:30:23 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Maybe, but the african mahogany I get here in South Africa is stable. Sometimes a bit of cross grain and tearout but otherwise fine. Nice to work with.
******
eat the samoosa to reply
Mike Mac wrote:

Jess.S