It was bound to happen...

Page 1 of 2
I knew that at some point I would build something in my basement that I would not be able to get out. The too narrow stairs come down around an awkward corner.
The trestle for the new dining room table is now stuck. As I was glueing in the stretchers, I had a niggling feeling that I was overlooking something important.... but there have been so many close calls before that all ended happily.
I will try to savage the situation by taking out the basement stairs, Perhaps grinding away part of the foundation at the critical corner is an option. Or we may simply have thankgiving dinner in the basement.
But if i can't get it out, I don't know what I will do: a solid cherry worktable seems extravagant for a hobbyshop, but what else am I going to do with it?
remind me why we like this sport?
FMA
Jac wrote:>I knew that at some point I would build something in my basement that

'Cause it's filled with learning experiences? Tom Work at your leisure!
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (Jac) writes:
[...]

Convert it to a folding table...
Hi Jac,
This may be a way off base suggestion, but maybe not. I suggested it to my niece who was trying to get her pool table down into the basement in her new house. She thinks I'm crazy.
Anyhow, if you have carpeting anywhere above the basement, pull back the carpeting, pull out the underlayment (hoping it's not glued down), saw a floor joist and pull it up. Sister in a new joist when replacing.
It may seem radical, but I think its easier than taking out the staircase or foundation.
Lou

Fri, Oct 15, 2004, 1:57pm snipped-for-privacy@no.net (loutent) Hi Jac, This may be a way off base suggestion, but maybe not. I suggested it to my niece who was trying to get her pool table down into the basement in her new house. She thinks I'm crazy. Anyhow, if you have carpeting anywhere above the basement, pull back the carpeting, pull out the underlayment (hoping it's not glued down), saw a floor joist and pull it up. Sister in a new joist when replacing. It may seem radical, but I think its easier than taking out the staircase or foundation.
Nah. Put in a trapdoor, for next screwup. No prob.
JOAT Flush the Johns. - seen on a bumper sticker
On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 14:22:57 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) calmly ranted:

Yeah, right under his seat at the dining table. He could rig up a hydraulic lift to gently let his King's chair down into the workshop right after dinner. Cool idea, JOAT.
----------------------------------------------------------------------- A PSYCHOLOGIST looks at everyone -else- || http://www.diversify.com when an attractive woman enters the room. || Full Website Programming
I have considered this... and suprisingly SWMBO is open to the idea. A trapdoor that opens into the basement that can be covered with a rug.
of course, SWMBO wants a kiln down there for her pottery, so she is merely thinking ahead.
good to hear other great (ie, crazy) minds thinking alike!
(loutent)

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (Jac) wrote in

So I'm guessing shop heat won't be a problem...

And you'll have a convenient place to dispose of scrap wood, too.

Indoor raku!
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote in (loutent)

Call it an access door, and make it a feature! Got one in my front room, because we got tired of crawling through the crawl space to rewire the entertainment system, the telephones, the network, etc.
Life's easier, when you can be pragmatic.
Patriarch
On 15 Oct 2004 09:52:33 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (Jac) wrote:

I feel your pain. My shop isn't in the basement, but our "media room" is. The "architect" of my McMansion put a 180 turn in the stairs.
The 55" Mits would clear only when I removed the handrails.
When we were having the basement finished - the 4x8 sheetrock wouldn't make the corner. We decided to knock out the wall in the stairwell - and patch it later. We cut a 50" tall slit in the wall, wide enough for a 1/2 dozen sheets.
Any chance you can knock a hole in the drywall to let the offending corner skate by?
Hey look at the bright side of this, it now gives you a reason to put in a bilco type basement entrance. Just think how much easier it will be to bring down supplies and take out projects.

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 18:26:00 GMT, "Jack Casuso"

What's a "bilco type basement entrance?"

Bilco is a brand name for those metal doors that lie on the ground outside the basement at a slight angle, and cover your sunken stairwell to the basement.
http://www.bilco.com
This is probably crazy but is your basement unfinished? If so, and if you have an open staircase, can you modify the stairs? This might help with future projects.
Years ago moved into an older neighborhood and a neighbor asked if I'd like to see his project. As we started into his basement I noticed the older home had a unusually wide wooden staircase. I didn't notice until later the staircase was aligned with a larger than normal door to the garage. He was in the final stages of building a T-Bucket roadster in the middle of his garage! Moreover, this was his second basement hot rod. He had worked on this one for about two years. He did the welding and dirty engine work in their small garage, moved components downstairs and did detail, fab and assembly work in a very comfortable and well appointed basement shop. After final fab and fit he disassembled to major assemblies, carted them upstairs and reassembled. Apparenetly this final process had only taken a week or two on #1 rod. He had even rigged a pretty neat sled and that allowed him to winch engine and transmission up and down the wooden stairs, bold on casters, and roll them about in the garage or shop.
When there is desire, there is a way.

Modify to read... "middle of his basement!"

Freight elevator.

On 15 Oct 2004 09:52:33 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (Jac) calmly ranted:

Open the wallboards at the turn and slide it up through the studs?

Cut it in half and add leaf pins--as if you had meant to do that all along. ;)

To learn humility. It's a very good teacher, innit?
----------------------------------------------------------------------- A PSYCHOLOGIST looks at everyone -else- || http://www.diversify.com when an attractive woman enters the room. || Full Website Programming
I share your pain, if not your anger. Don't savage the stairs too badly, they could come in handy later ...