It's Official, NYWS is No longer on HGTV

Just read on the NYWS website that it is official, HGTV did NOT renew their contract to show the older NYWS episodes for the new season. Guess that leaves us at the mercy of the idiot fund raisers who run learning the piano or some "motivational speaker" over the NYWS scheduled shows begging for donations.

Don't know about you, but if they would run a NYWS marathon during the pledge/fund raising they would get MORE money more often from this woodworker. Right now the local PBS has pre-empted the Sunday schedule for fundraising, causing folks to miss 2 of the new season episodes

John

Reply to
John

For $1.50 per month you can subscribe to the PBS National hookup (Channel

249) on DISH Satellite. They carry NYW with no fund raising.
Reply to
ole

Except for those aggravating pieces of self-promotion they use to fill dead air. At least the latest, the "Red Riding Hood" series, have Norm in them. I still haven't figured out what message, beyond the obvious, they're trying to convey with the black female pilot endorsement.

Reply to
George

Get DirecTV, get the DIY channel, and get access to two regular shows that are at least as good as NYWS: Woodwords with David Marks, and Woodworking with David Johnson. Also look at The Router Workshop on PBSU. You may even be able to give your nailer a rest.

You just need a clear view of the soutwest sky(from my location in NC); the satellite is over the equator south of Texas. I don't work for DTV, just want to share good programming so enough people watch to keep them on the air. You can lookup information, including project directions and materials, on DIYnet.com.

Steve

Reply to
Steven and Gail Peterson

Don't get me started on Minwhacks (Bruce) Johnson. That guy shouldn't be allowed to carry Norm's toolbelt.

I do like the woodturning show, though. But that's probably because I know next to nothing about turning.

Reply to
Joe Wells

I watch Bruce Johnson for comic relief. It's fun to count his mistakes, and sloppy workmanship.

Marks, on the other hand, amazes me with his talent

Ken

Ken

Reply to
Ken Johnsen

I lost respect for bruce johnson when one of his shows was the assembly of a rocking chair *kit*. Not one bit of woodworking was involved. He took completed parts out of a box, glued them together and threw on a finish. He routinely makes mistakes, which are magically fixed when they come back from the comercial break. Does he still call his sliding compound miter saw a radial arm saw?

brian

Reply to
brianlanning

I'd forgotten about the "radial arm saw". Yes, you know what? I watch him with the same fascination I reserved for Jim Bakker back in the days of the Pass The Loot Club.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Probably, since all I have ever seen of his show are the reruns,reruns,reruns.............

Reply to
Brent Beal

Note also how difficult it is to find contact information on the HGTV site to let them know how displeased you are about it. There is not even a real email address to send comments to while they ask you everything down to year of birth in their "Viewer Services" page when you want to submit a comment.

While I enjoy the show, Norm & company could make all of this moot by releasing each season in a DVD collection. They are really milking it for every penny by charging $25 for a single 30 minute program. An entire season for $100 would be fair. He could still sell the plans for $10 a piece. My guess is that he'd sell more DVD's than tapes this way.

Cheers! Duke

Reply to
Dukester

I'm not overly upset because they are repeating the repeats that they repeated before. I'd like to see some of the newer shows.

I have no qualms about the price of the plans. For the additional cost of the video, I'd like to see a few more details. They have the original tapes, why not add some of the raw footage?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

And, although I have no idea why, I haven't gotten around to deleting The Router Workshop from the auto-record guide. I find that show to be of *zero* value.

Reply to
patrick conroy

Yeah, same here. Tivo keeps saying "Hey, you might like this", and I don't want to three thumbs-down it, because I like shows _like_ it, just not that one. The good thing is, if you have Tivo, it'll never erase or not record something you want when it's doing a suggestion - it just records them if you have nothing else scheduled and plenty of disk space. Easy enough to delete 'em, or let 'em fall off on their own.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

(Channel

249) on DISH Satellite. They carry NYW with no fund raising.

No you can't. I used to have this until the bastards at WGBH objected. I would much rather pay a fair price for commercial free TV than be forced to sit through bullshit fundraisers.

Last week they had that git Suzie Orman going on about money like she was preaching a religious sermon. It may just be me but I find that sort of thing revolting and in any case the only people who are going to want to sit through that sort of thing are the type of people who are too tightfisted to donate anyhow.

I don't care if PBS does not get paid for the programs sent out over satelite, they sure as heck could get paid. I have a PVR so I never watch the commercials on regular TV anyway, apart from the superbowl of course where in the average year the same technology allows one to effortlessly edit out the alleged game.This year being the first time in living memory that the game has not been effectively over in the first quarter we actually watched the game but you get the idea.

Reply to
Phillip Hallam-Baker

I agree, that show really bothers me. But I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because they show the entire process of routing somthing rather than the NYW way, which is to talk about it for a few seconds, then show maybe the first couple inches of the cut so you can see how the bit affects the wood, then moving on. Also, NYW gets the camera up real close so you can see better. Also, the father in the router workshop has this bump on his head that I can't stop looing at. :-)

brian

Reply to
brianlanning

LOL, yes Brucey certainly *is* sloppy, but at least he looks like he's having fun doing it... Marks is extremely talented (and his attention to detail is outstanding), but his acting needs a bit of improvement! ;)

Reply to
Frank A