It's called SEARS, damnit - an important notice

Page 1 of 2
Went over to the bank at the end of the today and while waiting in line at the drive through I was thinking about my next router purchase. I spied SEARS and thought, well... haven't been in there in about a year and a half, so I will go see what they have in the tools corral.
I had read a lot on their own branded routers on the net, and the reviews are all pretty positive, especially for the newer models. Won't look to hurt, right?
Well, yes it does. They are closing out the following routers, and I ain't made of stone.
PC 690 router combo with both plunge and fixed base: $129 DeWalt 2 1/4 hp router combo with both bases: $170 Milwaukee 5615 palm grip..... crap.... $89.
I caved on the Miwaukee, as I know that to be a great machine, and it was about 1/2 the price at Amazon.
If anyone is interested, I cannot imagine those routers lasting long. As it was I had to drive to another store to get the Milwaukee. They are not available online, but you can buy at one store and go pick it up at another.
One more time... get 'em while they're hot!
Robert

I don't like you anymore.

That's OK. Right at this moment I like myself enough for both of us. !!!!! ;^)
It wasn't a gloat. I was just surprised at how much they took off as that has to be well under their cost.
We have a great saying down here in Texas.
"Even a blind hog finds an acorn every once in a while".
Robert

I absolutely adore that router. Finesse, power...great device. The 5615 is a crude-rude device in comparison..*bfffllrrrtraspberrieesss*

Well, if it had been the 5616, I would have bought all the other two as well.

The new router is to be the complement to the new Akeda that just arrived. I wanted a dedicated router that was easy to adjust and use, and didn't want to spend the dough for another variable speed. I have a DeWalt 325, a PC 7529, a Bosch 1618 EVS D handle (my overall favorite), another PC which I disremember the model # since never use it, a couple of older Sears routers that are about 30 years old but really nice, and a smaller DeWalt.
All I wanted was a good value, sturdy router. Who knew.
Interestingly enough, the members on the router forum (The Rosendal (sp?) guys) are voting against variable speed. They advocate single speed routers with speed controls as extras on the belt. Their reasoning is that the EVS switches go out quickly with a lot of hard use (I must not use mine that hard!) and it is a lot cheaper to fix them when they are simple on/off switches. They also like the price advantage of single vs. variable speed.
Single speed should do fine for me in this application. I cannot imagine why I would need to slow down these tiny things that come with the my new jig. I was honestly surprised to see the 1/4" bits that go to the Akeda jig. I haven't held or bought a 1/4" shank bit in so long they look like little toy bits. I only buy 1/2", and have so long that I am almost uncomfortable with them as they look like they would break.
I have to remember that we all used those little 1/4" bits for years and they never broke unless you burned them up first.
Robert
I bought the 690 combo for $199 and was happy. I will look at my local Sears and pick up another if they have it. Always nice to have a couple so you do a couple of cuts with out taking one apart. Bruce
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Good for you Robert. :~)
Drive by....

And that's like me casually telling the group that this little piece of software actually drives a router and makes all the parts by feeding it the sheets of stuff it needs and calls for...
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/McL2.jpg
Yeeee-frickin'...HAW!
Robatoy wrote:

Hey, that looks like *my* countertop. Except mine doesn't fill the sink.

In article

I take that back. Upon further reflection, the sink was tagged as 'unknown' therefore the countertop wasn't going to be cut in any pattern. The one you see is a generic one used for location only.
Robatoy wrote:

So that means if you were to locate an object tagged as a sink, the software will generate the appropriate commands to generate the cutout? Very cool.

The Kohler catalogue is built in. The Franke and Blanco catalogues will work, but they have to be downloaded and scaled first. A PITA.
The software differentiates between undermounts and drop-ins as well.
They are 1 hour from my house. Got to love that! http://gorillacnc.com/gorillaprocnc

Forgot to mention that the Gorilla boys are hooked up with the General.ca guys. Not an insignificant liaison.
Robatoy wrote:

OK, that definitely counts as a drive-by.

Calm down, Tex.
Technically, MINE was not a gloat of any kind as anyone can go get the same exact deal at Sears if they have the routers. MINE was a PSA on behalf of tightwads (err... I mean uhh... careful shoppers) that like a deal and want to share.
Now yours, that is a gloat. I can't go to Sears and get that. You did some good work on that for sure, and certainly deserve a pat on the back. But since I can't just get in the truck and go get that somewhere, that's a gloat.
Trouble maker. *chuckle*
Robert

At least use the proper descriptive technologly.
The group above are known as those who "... practice the prudent stewardship of ones available resources".
Got that?<G>
Lew

Oh, you mean Dutchmen.

(born Dutch, but now 'merican in North Jersey)
--
Best regards
Han