It's been waaay too long.....

Page 1 of 2
Still no house.... Still no shop.... So, I did what any decent woodworker would do..
I bought a used band saw (3 yr old 14" JET). Now I have three....
Want some fun?
Try to explain *this* to the wife....
Rob http://www.robswoodworking.com
I am in awe! You have more cojones than any man should have.     zounds,     jo4hn
Rob Stokes wrote:

Why do men climb mountains ? Because it was there !
Way to go Rob ! You may be elevated to hero status soon. Have an old 14" Jet myself. A very decent tool.
Lenny

Cheaper to buy spare parts in bulk? <shrug> ;O)
You're going to convert THIS one into a "hand held" now you got the whole set? :O)
Nah, you're right, you're absolutely cooked this time! ;O)
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}
On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 02:17:25 GMT, "Rob Stokes"
snip

Rob, i gotta agree with the fellas on this one,,,you got some MAJOR brass hanging down there,,,lmao
Traves

Appeal to the female shoppers instinct: "It was on sale!"
Appeal to the practical element: "you really need one for each size blade"
Appeal to the frugal element: "I am going to fix it then sell it again"
Appeal (ok, this one's really a plead) to her willingness to help others: "I am holding it for [insert name of someone she doesn't know here]"
If all the above fail, try
Appeal to her nursing insticts: "Honey, I think I have a problem...."
Should all appeals fail, you're left with "Ok, at least use a sharp knife and make it quick"
Or tell her you got it for her to *use* . . . kinda like the guy who bought his wife a bowling ball - drilled to fit *his* hand! LOL!
wrote in message >

"I

Ah, I have it I think (this really made my head hurt so use with care!)
You say; the thing is I have two, and as you know, disasters are said to come in threes, so I bought this to save you worrying what or when the next one might happen, and therefore I am making you healthier by reducing your potential stress levels! I do this coz I want to have you around a lot longer than I have had to far - OK, that last bit may be a bit of an afterthought, but it may also work! ;O) Consider that bit optional!
Any particular favourite hymns and what sort of flowers would you like should this all prove inadequate? ;O)
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}
"Rob Stokes" wrote in message:

tomorrow
Damn Rob - the last time I made "arrangements" family had to come in town, flowers were purchased, and we had to pick out a headstone! Be careful how you choose your words - could be a similar situation . . . :-)

Keep your head down - let us know you're alrgith when ya get it home.
Jums
Roger...will do. Shhhh.....
Rob

how
"Honest Honey....it's the 12" JET I've always had but I watered it....."
....not a hope in hell....
Rob

tomorrow
Excuse my ignorance but....Why would someone want 3 bandsaws?? And nevermind the "because I can" response. ;-)

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
I bought a 12" JET and it's done a great job for me. I actually had no intentions of selling it or getting a new one. Then I was at a garage sale and picked up a cast frame on a Delta base with a 1HP motor that takes a 105" blade. Got it for $60...how could I say no? I was going to set it up for re-sawing and leave the 12" for "other stuff". Couple of weeks ago there was a note on the classified section of Woodcentral about a fellow who's selling off his tools to go back to school. He's near me. I dropped him a note saying that if he couldn't sell the BS, let me know and I'd buy it.
It's sitting in its new home as of a little after 11 this AM....
See? Easy huh? :)
Rob

Sat, Jul 26, 2003, 2:48am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca (Bri) asks: Excuse my ignorance but....Why would someone want 3 bandsaws?? And nevermind the "because I can" response. ;
It's an explained thing.
If you have to have it explained, you won't understand anyway.
JOAT Always put off until tomorrow something which, tomorrow, you could put off until, let's say, next year. - Lady Myria LeJean.
Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 23 Jul 2003. Some tunes I like. http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofalltrades/JOATorJackOfAll/page4.html

For doing 3-axis cutting, obviously. <grin>

Think of this,
It would be like having 3 routers... You spend less time swapping blades. You have one set up for resawing with a wide blade and few teeth, one set up for scroll work with a narrow blade and lots of teeth and one set up for general work with 1/4 to 3/8 blade and medium number of teeth. Sounds like a good idea to me. Think SWMBO would think so? I saw two new pair of shoes in her trunk the other day.... They are still there!
Robert Bonomi wrote:

"Bri" < wrote in message:

For the same reason that a woman "needs" 72 pair of shoes. I threw that many away when my ex moved out - she took the other 100+ pair with her. (true story and her name wasn't Amelda.) :-)
You can set up bandsaws for different uses, Bri. Kinda like a drill press: one can be set up for a dedicated mortiser - one for drilling, etc. Band saws have many of the same traits that make it a multi-functional unit.
Jim a.k.a. Jummy, Jums, Minwax Mac, etc.
From a woman's perspective:
Telling her that you have the same weight in bandsaws as she has in shoes is a BAD idea. Telling her that the third matches the other two is also a VERY bad idea. Telling her that you share her weakness for good tools is the WORST possible idea. (Unless...)
I would use the man card. In other words, "It was a bad decision. But what can I say, I'm a man. And I can't return it." Bring Godiva. Lots of it.
Best of luck, Jenny
ROTFLMAO! Good one Jenny. (and I think some of the guys here would not know what Godiva is - not the horsie picture you'd think!) :-)
Jim