"It's a poor workman who blames . . ."

Page 2 of 6
George wrote:

Dream on. I remember a discussion with a number of other techs one time back before there was such a thing as a microprocessor in the world, let alone Windows. Our consensus was that one of the benefits the computer has brought into the world is that it provides a clear demonstration of the perversity of inanimate objects.
Yeah, it's _supposed_ to give the same result given the same input . . .

--
--John
On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 03:21:55 -0500, "J. Clarke"

It does. The mistake many people make is that they think that they need to look only at the most recent one to predict consistency.

Unfortunately this is not true. In complex systems, and modern microprocessors and software are quite complex, errors do occur and performance is not entirely deterministic. To state otherwise is to be hopelessly naive.
-j

The answer you pretend to quote is, in fact, "hopelessly naive," but it's not the one I gave. Why did you change it while continuing to pretend it was mine ?
GregP wrote:

I note that you've avoided the point being raised.
--
--John
On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 09:09:44 -0500, "J. Clarke"

I "avoided" a response to a statement I never made. ??? What am I "avoiding ?"

I thought it was your answer. And I changed nothing. Maybe there is some part of it which I don't understand? I took it to be an echo of George's position stated earlier in the thread. What were you meaning to say?
-j

You most certainly did.

Can you please explain? I don't think I understand what you are talking about.
-j

You eliminated most of my response, which was
It does. The mistake many people make is that they think that they need to look only at the most recent one to predict consistency.

The most recent what? Consistency of what? First you say they are consistent, then you start talking about predicting consistency. This makes no sense to me. That is why I cut it out. Does it support or refute your argument that computers do the same thing everytime? Really, I bear no animosity. I'm just trying to figure out why you are complaining that I misrepresent what you said.
-j

Well, first you misquoted what I said and called the misquote "naive." Then you twice claimed that you hadn't done that ("I absolutely changed nothing"). You finally admitted that you had when I repeated my post. So why *shouldn't* I "complain" ??

At least you have been consistant about it. You wouldn't happen to be a machine would you?
-j

I suppose that in this context, lying makes you human ?

No, not at all. Machines can lie. They just don't have a good sense of humor. I find they over indulge in schadenfreude.
-j

you're prepared to pay enough. They're called 'machining cells' and similar things.
--RC
You can tell a really good idea by the enemies it makes

The question isn't whether one can do the job without the other. It's which part of the system (human-machine) has the skill. With modern machinery the answer is increasingly 'the machine'.
--RC

You can tell a really good idea by the enemies it makes
snipped-for-privacy@TAKEOUTmindspring.com wrote:

When you can give the machine the drawing and the lumber and it produces the finished part without further intervention then the machine has the skill. Until then the skill lies in setting the machine up to do the work. Even NC machines need tweaking to get the parts to come out right.

--
--John
On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 03:24:02 -0500, "J. Clarke"

Increasingly the skill is shifting to the machine from the human. It's not entirely there yet and it may never be for most things. However the process has been going on for more than a century.
--RC

You can tell a really good idea by the enemies it makes
rcook writes:

Think about the first caveman discovering a sharp edge on a rock, and finding it made him more skillfull at killing his prey than did the older, blunt edged rock. It's been going on for way more than a century.
Charlie Self "Ambition is a poor excuse for not having sense enough to be lazy." Edgar Bergen, (Charlie McCarthy)