It Could have Happened This Way.

I have been working on a kitchen re-do for a very good friend. We have worked on many odd jobs in the last 10 years and I have known him for 32 years. My friend, George, could write a book about all the jams he gets into when working on some of the jobs. To tell you the truth I like working with him to see what is going to happen next, first hand. My favorite story was when he built a new large three side back yard fence but did not make allowances to get his truck out of the yard. Today he came by to pick up some cabinet doors and drawers I had completed for his kitchen, we will be installing them an a couple of weeks after he paints them. He happened to be carrying his ladder and a small tool box in the bed of the truck but they would not fit after we loaded the drawers and doors so he told me that he would leave the ladder and pick it up later. The carried the tool box to the far side of the truck so that he could put it in the back seat. As he was getting in the truck to drive home I grabbed the ladder and took it to my garage.

About ten minutes after he left I went back to the garage and opened the big door and looked out into the driveway and out into the street. There sat his tool box setting in the middle of the street. One hour later George called me to see if he has left his tool in the middle of the street. I replied, yes and it is now in my garage. I told him he could come by at any time to get the ladder and tool box.

After a glass of wine and telling my wife about George leaving his tool box setting in the middle of the street I decided to follow up with this e-mail to George.

George!

There is a little something I may have forgotten to tell you when you called about the tool box you left sitting in the middle of the street. As you were leaving I was walking back to the garage with your ladder, really not thinking that you would have left any thing else setting out in the street. So I went into the garage with your ladder, set it down, closed the garage door, and went inside the house. About 10 minutes later I heard sirens and they were pretty close, real close. Bryan and I ran out to the garage, opened the big garage door and saw a fire truck racing down the street in our direction. As it neared our house I noticed your tool box setting out in the middle of the street. I quickly looked back at the fire truck and again back at the tool box.

Fortunately the guy driving the fire truck saw the tool box and swerved to miss it. Unfortunately he kinda went off into the yard across the street, back into the side street and up in the corner neighbors yard. Well, the idiot hit the house caddy corner from our house. Rest assured "no one" was hurt as far as I could tell but they had to call another fire truck as this one was pretty bashed up, you should see the house.

As we are standing around watching, along with almost every one in the neighbor hood, the second fire truck came down the street and passed by with out incident. This guy was obviously paying attention because he had 5 or

6 police cars coming behind him. He kept going but the police cars stopped at the crash. There were police men all over the place, at least a dozen of them. Immediately they started talking to all of the gawkers and one by one began asking every one if they had seen what had happened. When they got close to Bryan and I, I went ahead and called one of them over and yelled out that we saw it all happen. I told the police officer that the fire truck was speeding down the street and saw "your" tool box sitting in the middle of the street and swerved to miss it. Then I pointed at the smashed truck and the smashed house and said, that is the result. The cop got kinda pushy at that point, he wanted to know if the tool box was mine. Noooooooo Sirrrrrrrrr, that is not my box, it belongs to a friend. I had to tell him this 3 times because the news helicopters were circling close and low. They were making all kinda of noise. I could tell the cop was getting pretty pissed.

After telling the policeman and I guess a couple of insurance guys your name, address, and telephone number they calmed down quite a bit. I think I convinced them that the whole thing was not my fault, thank goodness. They seemed to be pretty satisfied with the information I gave them and it was a good thing too because with the attitude that they were giving me I almost told them that I did not know who the tool box belonged to. George, rest assured, your tool box is in fine shape, not a scratch. Watch ford Bryan and I on TV tonight!

;~) Well it could'a happened that way. I got your back buddy.

Leon

Reply to
Leon

ROTFL!!

Reply to
Swingman

I died laughing through the whole post. I can only imagine the loss of breath, the sweating and overall disbelief when reading that. I might have waited for him to actually call me though...

Good one!

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

There was no way that I could have gotten through the whole story with out busting out laughing and giving it away had I actually told him. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Leon, What the heck are you talking about ???? I don't have a tool box or ladder you must have me confused with someone else.

George C.

Reply to
Leon

Leon! You just gained a free ladder and tool box out of the deal! Congratulations!

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass