ISO - special shaped threaded rod

Page 2 of 2
igor wrote:

Out of curiousity, what are you wanting it for? Perhaps another idea might crop up...
Although, of course, it <can> be made by hand--patience, patience, patience...

I am quite interested in the Veritas Bit Jack, http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?pageC039&category=1,43000&ccurrency=2&SID Unfortunately, it does not work with my Bosch 1617, and a call to LV resulted in learning that it is not likely that a compatible version is on its way soon. IMO, the Bit Jack seems to provide a great way to do mortises because the foot pedal lets you easily change the depth of the bit. If a lot of mortises need to be cut, rather than cutting a shallow mortise in each piece, resetting, and then doing them all again, it seems that one could do multi-depth cuts for each mortise all at once, so to speak. And, no need to drop the piece on a spinning bit. I don't know what the tech challenges are, but I would think it would make some sense to offer this product for a router as common as a 1617. Just a hunch.
So, I have pondered making something comparable and one version of what I came up with would need such a part. The lever arm would slide up and down this part and a nut would raise/lower the lever arm. I had assumed that such a part existed - aside from the un-economic depth-setting piece on a drill press. While I am disappointed that apparently it does not exist, I am almost proud that I have "stumped the band". I am constantly amazed at some of the ISO posts here and the almost invariable answer of a name and a source for it. -- Igor

There goes my offer of exchanging shop time for beer (in that order).
Dave
How many do you need and what size and thread size and I can make them on my mill in about two minutes. Contact me off line and just pay the postage. Dick
--
Richard H. Neighbors
Building fine pool cues for real pool players at affordable prices.

You're undercutting my price by a six-pack, Dick...

The market's a bitch, isn't it. Ha!

Wow, that is amazingly generous. Thank you. If I knew 100% that I would need this part (see a reply post of mine above for what I am thinking about -- a home-made version of the LV Bit Jack), I'd be in touch ASAP. But, I'm still tinkering with designs. While I regularly buy parts that I end up not needing (and they are around here everywhere, and boy is it exciting when I find some other need for one of them - and I can find it), I'd be loath to ask someone to make something at my current stage of design. (But I've flagged your post for future ref.) Again, thank you. This NG gets more amazing all the time. -- Igor
I Found one. In my garage on my Drill Press.
The Stop Rod.
It is 6" long, and 1/2" wide and flat on the front and back side.
It is on my 32" Rockwell Radial Drill Press. Perhaps you can contact Delta. It's Rockwell part number is/was 402-01-108-0001

Leon wrote:

I posted that suggestion some time back...when looking at parts, dear old Delta wanted something like $70 for the particular press I happened to choose... :(