ISO : Locking idea for modular cubbies

Im in the process of making some 16"x16" cubbies (basically a square 16x16x16) no front or back. They will be used in the kids toy room to store their "stuff". Im looking for an idea(s) that will allow me to lock them together so they can be arranged in different formations.
Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks Rob
You can reply to me at r_b_v at v_e_r_z_e_r_a doht c_o_m
remove _ to get the correct address
Rob V wrote:

Rob...
You might consider using some of the rare-earth magnets from Lee Valley. The large ones have a fair amount of power (and might be interesting to the kids, as well)
--
Morris Dovey
West Des Moines, Iowa USA

A fun and interesting way if somewhat time consuming way would be to use sliding dovetails. You could route dovetail grooves across the face on two adjacent sides and then attach matching runners on the other 2 sides. The boxes could then be slid together makign them fairly secure yet easy to remove and re-organize. If you already have the router bits and a table you should be able to do this from some scraps for nothing more than the cost of some time.
Secret Squirrel wrote:

Hey! No fair. (I like your idea better than mine.)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

Neat idea. One possible enhancement: route the grooves on all sides and make a dovetail spline as a separate piece. Then there are no exposed runners on the one end of the cube wall.
CharlesJ -- =======================================================================Charles Jones | Works at HP, | email: snipped-for-privacy@hp.com Hewlett-Packard | doesn't speak | ICQ: 29610755 Loveland, Colorado | for HP | AIM: LovelandCharles USA | |Jabber: snipped-for-privacy@jabber.hp.com
I like that idea - have DT groves in all the sides - then have a butterfly like spline to connect them.
On that same note - I was thinking of almost like a butterfly patch w/ 1/2 on "wings" that when line up - you can just slip in a butterfly to lock them.
But I think I like the spline idea - it would be a bit stronger I think.
Im going to run some tests peices tomorrow and will post some pics.
Thanks for the suggestions.
-Rob