Is wood stronger than metal per weight?

Page 2 of 2

There are bicycles made of wood (the frame, at least). It doesn't lend itself to mass-production, so most bicycles will be metal or composite (e.g. carbon fiber).
John
On Wed, 27 Jul 2016 18:10:00 -0000 (UTC)

in what way is weight a concern in your application
On 07/27/2016 11:10 AM, John Doe wrote:

Balsa is both the lighest wood *and* the strongest wood for its weight. Black Widow Spider webs are stronger than steel.
What you want is an oval balsa tube externally braced with spider webs.

Ha!
On 07/28/2016 02:39 AM, John Doe wrote:

Japanese Spider Crab is horrific.
<
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/f78d72KypOY/maxresdefault.jpg
<
https://twistedsifter.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/japanese_spider_crab.jpg

Ewww!
Makes me wonder why all those monster movies of the 50s needed to show magnified or prop monsters (Tarantula, Mysterious Island, etc). ;)
nb

Because Fukushima hadn't happened yet?
On Thursday, July 28, 2016 at 4:04:02 PM UTC-4, Felix wrote:

I wonder what Red Lobster charges for one of those.
Crossposting psychopathic troll...
--
John Doe <always.look message.header> wrote in news:nnatdo$g7p$1 dont-email.me:

John Doe should look into a field of endeavor called "stress analysis". From there he should be able to find his own answer.
On Wed, 27 Jul 2016 18:10:00 +0000, John Doe wrote:

"Sandwich-structured composites" (see refs) are one way to build a light but stiff panel or beam. Some pieces I've tested are stiffer than steel or aluminum beams weighing ten times as much. You may be able to buy 2'x4' aluminum honeycomb-core panels online or if you live near an aircraft factory can get cutoffs that would be large enough. If you have any fab skills you could make a beam with steel, aluminum, fiberglass, kevlar, or carbon fiber skins over balsa core.
Refs: <http://singcore.com/tag/aluminum-honeycomb-panel <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandwich-structured_composite <http://www.compositesworld.com/articles/mass-reduction-for-mass-appeal-frps-and-cmcs-in-rvs <http://www.fibeco.com/home/composites/ <https://groups.google.com/forum /#!topic/rctankcombat/SoC-E8ZmTfY> <https://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-61259.html
--
jiw