Is Wipe-On Poly Okay?

The thing I like least about woodworking is brushing on poly. So, for my latest project, I used Minwax Wipe-On Poly. It was everything I hoped for in application, but I wonder if it provides adequate protection. Obviously you are putting less material on, but are a couple coats okay for a low wear use?
Is it just regular poly that is thinned down (which I could make myself cheaper), or is it something different?
thanks
see alt.binaries.pictures.furniture for a picture.
--
Think thrice, measure twice and cut once.

There is only one period and no underscores in the real email address.
I used it on my now five year olds high chair which has now been used by two more children. I haven't given it any more coats since then. I wash the oak tray off in the sink on a regular basis. It has held up great. The wipe on poly is the only way to go.
Thanks,
Kurt

It has the same protection value for the same application thickness as regular poly. The wipe on stuff is thinner per coat. What does that tell you?

It is in a jelly-like form. Like the others said, it just takes a few more coats.
If you are having trouble brushing on regular poly, try using the alkyd variety cut with 10 to 20% thinner. Not so thin that it runs, but it eliminates the brush marks.
On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 19:36:42 GMT, "Wade Lippman"

Simply add a few more coats.

I make wiping varnishes by cutting brushing varnishes 505/50 or so with mineral spirits.
Barry
I have used Minwax in the past, but currently use General Finish's "Poly oil."
The reason I like it is that I can brush it on, Wipe it on with a rag, or use my hand. It doesn't matter. They all turn out great, even when I've got my lathe spinning at 1800 rpms and Friction Drying it. I have not had to make any adjustments to their formula. I usually put three or four coats, followed by two hand rubbed coats of Johnsons Paste wax.
Best of luck.
The Other Bruce
message wrote:

I make my own blend of wipeable varnish. 50% minwax poly, 25% mineral spirits, 23% watco. I can't reveal what that other 2% is (Sam Maloof might be lurking). Only mix what you need. It doesn't have a long shelf life. SH