Is what Norm did legit?

I got one of Norm's old books from the library.
Basically, he was making a table top with a solid wood slab. One the underside of the table top, he screwed four long boards perpendicular to the grain. Is this a legit technique, or would it cause the table top to crack when cross grain movement occurs?
If that's a legit technique, I could see using it to help keep the tabletop flat. Opinions? Thanks.
Sure it would work. Screwed; not glued it would allow movement, wouldn't it, bf? Slotted holes in the long boards, right? At least he didn't include "and a few brads to hold it until the glue dries."
Dave
bf wrote:

ROFLMAO!
Poor 'ol Norm. Takes a helluva beating here on occasion.
The method for table top stabilization is not only valid, but well accepted over the last few hundred years of table making.
I did think the comment on waiting for the glue to dry was funny, though...
Robert
David wrote:

See, that's the thing, the holes were not slotted to allow movement, he just screwed the boards to underside of the table top (perpendicular to the grain). I should've been clearer in the original post.
What ever Norm does is fine with me. I have great admiration for him and hope his show/s never leave TV.

the table top WILL NOT move.. Norm obviously told it not too, and the table is scared shitless that if it moves, Norm will be back to fix it.... probably with a moving van full of power tools.. *g*
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing