Is Usnet Dying?

Page 8 of 11
Brian Henderson writes:

Quit doing auto work when I had to reshoe the front brakes on a '67 Plymouth in 92 deg. weather. But we found one of the good points of WV: got the front brakes on my wife's Dodge Stratus done, including turned rotors, for $78 not long ago.
Charlie Self
"Say what you will about the ten commandments, you must always come back to the pleasant fact that there are only ten of them." H. L. Mencken
On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 18:44:20 -0500, Silvan

For my buck, a $500 computer does all I need. This consists of light CAD, the web, usenet, Quicken, Word, Excel, Front Page, Corel Photo Paint, several GPS mapping apps, email, CD burning, etc... The Celeron even acts as my file server for the 4 station LAN in my home.
I don't do pro video editing or anything like that. I play games on my $200 PS2. <G>
My last two machines were $3k.
Barry
B a r r y B u r k e J r . wrote:

Yeah, me too, and then some. I guess if a 2.7 GHz deal is a $500 computer now, mine is worth $50.

Me too, though I rarely even play games on that. I haven't had it plugged in since May or so.

I paid $1300 for this one. Probably closer to $2,000 for the P166 before it. That one is still in use too, as a dedicated X terminal. I can't see needing faster for a diskless workstation, so I'm probably going to buy it a new power supply to keep it running a few more years. The power supply in that thing dates back to when I was in high school, and it's getting tired.
Silvan states:

Last year? Seriously, if it will work, I've got an almost unused Enright (HPC-250-101) that is just taking up space. Pay the shipping and it's yours.
Charlie Self
"If a politician found he had cannibals among his constituents, he would promise them missionaries for dinner." H. L. Mencken
Charlie Self wrote:

Feels like it was about 500 million years ago, but I graduated from high school in 1990. The power supply is probably from 1987 or so.

I have no idea what that particular power supply is, but if it fits an AT-style case I'll be glad to take you up on that! :)
After the holidays though, probably. The power supply is low priority, and money is distressingly tight right now. Had some unexpected and unwelcome expenses, and SWMBO's work box is right out the window. So too probably my scroll saw.
I feel another rant about shitty health insurance coming on, so I'd better shut up. Appreciate the offer though, just bad timing right now...
Silvan notes:

No rush. See if Enright has a site and see if that model will fit your machine. It should, I think.
Charlie Self
"If a politician found he had cannibals among his constituents, he would promise them missionaries for dinner." H. L. Mencken

and
unwelcome
my
machine.
Might be a little tricky if you search for Enright, since it is actually Enlight. ;-)
Here're a coupla links that show the PSU: http://www.highpowersupply.com/product-ps-hpc250101r.htm http://www.thirty-day.com/hpc250101.htm
Enlights are decent power supplies. So are Fortron and Sparkle. If you have the cash, it's hard to beat Antec and Enermax, and the Thermaltake units are nice, also.
mrdancer responds:

Thanks for the correction. Silvan is kind of short of money, so...anything that works. This is out of a case that got messed up somehow, without affecting anything else (no MB at the time). I was going to give it to a local outfit, but he probably needs it more.
Charlie Self
"If a politician found he had cannibals among his constituents, he would promise them missionaries for dinner." H. L. Mencken
Charlie Self wrote:

Kind of short of money. I'm down to $3 now. Whee ha!
I'll look you up maybe when I get my Christmas bonus. Can't be *that* expensive to ship it, but probably more than I can spare right now.
Sure do appreciate it. One day I'm going to stop being broke. Sure would help if my family would just make up their minds to stop getting sick already. Been working for me for the last three or five or seven years or something. :)
(I feel another insurance rant coming on, so I'll shut up again.)

I can still read 20+ year floppies made with my TI99/4a.
(Charlie Self)

I remember the Osborne well. The first computer I ever used. Supercalc ( a CPM based forerunner to Lotus - Excel). Memory so small that a simple depreciation schedule required 4 spreadsheets and macro automation between them - got me a A in that Graduate Accounting course though. It was a Portable - if portable meant breaking you arm to lug it from one electric outlet to another.
Dave Hall
Dave Hall writes:

Yeah. I remember that now: forgot to add, you needed to plug the "portable" in. I took my KayPro to the Hardware Show in Chi one year...I think my arm was 2" longer before I got home.
Charlie Self
"If a politician found he had cannibals among his constituents, he would promise them missionaries for dinner." H. L. Mencken
And to think, Digital Research was first approached by IBM for a new operating system and because they thought IBM would be like the Borg, they ended up turning it down - enter then Microsoft and the rest is history....
But I do not miss having to use a boot disk for getting my old Northstar up and running...
Philski
Charlie Self wrote:

The story I heard was that the Digital Research CEO was on a plane heading for vacation, and couldn't be bothered with IBM (DR thought they were the only software game in town). That's when IBM got in touch with Bill Gates. Gates promised an operating system (OS) on a very short timeline and IBM jumped on it. However, Gates wanted to maintain the rights to the OS. IBM said "sure", not realizing the power that that one little decision would provide in creating the MicroSoft monopoly.
Anywayz, Gates quickly cobbled together the OS and dubbed it QDOS (Quick and Dirty Operating System). Later, the Q was dropped and the acronym became DOS (I used to think it meant "Disk Operating System"!).
DOS evolved into the Windows GUI. So, the basis of Windows was a quick and dirty operating system. And folks wonder why Windows has so many problems.... ;-)

FALSE TO HISTORY.
Gates *DID*NOT*BUILD*IT*. He _purchased_ rights to an _existing_ O/S, called QDOS, from a company called "Seattle Computing". And the rest is history.

Robert Bonomi wrote:

And he bought it for $50,000
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio

heading
Gates.
IBM
and
called
Arrgh! That's what I get for believing what I see on TV! :(

There was a 4-5 part series on PBS a few years ago...gave the whole history of the computer. I taped the entire series...but haven't watched it for awhile.
Wishing you and yours a happy Thanksgiving season...
Trent
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

Since I was around in time to program Univac, I've given up on watching "histories" concocted by those who were never there. I get too irritated :-).
Come to think of it, it's not only computer history that gets mangled.
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

On 26-Nov-2003, snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote:

Actually, there were three operating systems available for the IBM PC. However, two of them were sold for something like $300 a copy, whereas MS sold theirs for $50. Not sure if those numbers are right, but they're in that sort of ballpark. That's why everyone bought MS.
The other two were DR DOS and CP/M-86 IIRC. Or maybe it was USCD... anyway, the myth that only MS had a product or had exclusivity is exactly that - a myth. MS won in the marketplace, not in the IBM boardrooms.
Mike
PS - MS didn't build much - they also bought Word and, ummm, Excel(?). Word definitely.