Is Usnet Dying?

Page 7 of 11
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

Hey, Betty Sue Bach was an awesome player ... you gotta be to play those notes that fall off the staff into a pile on the page like that.

An excellent wielding of the ultimate musical insult.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03
Larry Jaques wrote:

A man of good taste then. What's your favorite album?
I guess I'd have to say mine is "Wish You Were Here," but it's not out front by much.

Actually, there were two or three good disco songs. There might even be a good country song. Rap/hip hop is the musical equivalent of bird cage lining.
On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 15:16:22 -0500, Silvan

Very hard to choose, but probably a tie between "Obscured by Clouds" and "Dark Side of the Moon".
Favorite songs: Free Four, Childhood's End, Fearless, Wish You Were Here, Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving With a Pict, Time, Breathe, Shine On You Crazy Diamond, (their early stuff)
Of course, I liked Zappa and King Crimson, too.

EXCELLENT song.

No comment. <gag, kaff, choke>

Ah, you betcha.
"Ka ka kaoum ba, wheeeee-eeeee.", brother.
(from SSOSAGTIACAGWAP)
P.S: Now people will have no doubt whatsoever about my sanity.
-------------------------------------------------------------------- I sent in my $5, so * http://www.diversify.com/stees.html why haven't I been 'saved'? * Graphic Design - Humorous T-shirts
On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 19:37:39 GMT, Larry Jaques wrote:

The "black vocalist" was a white girl: Clare Torry. Yes, I'm another Floyd anorak ;) Saw them at Knebworth circa 1975.
About the only modern band I listen to nowadays is Blur, most of the rest is overpriced effluent. Record sales going down because of piracy? I think not.
<snip>
--

Frank

Frank Shute wrote:

Yeah, seriously. I don't even go to record stores anymore. What's the point? While there's some stuff there I wouldn't mind having, it's a matter of buying an entire CD for one mildly interesting song, and the cheap CDs are $25 now. I don't have money to piss away like that.
I think the last CD I bought was the collected works of Tom Leher (sp?) A true nut case, God bless him!
Glen

Usenet has been dying for 20 years. I expect it will continue to die for the next 20 years.
On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 12:06:08 -0500, Silvan

(Sorry, Frank, but I'm not with you on Blur having just listened to the first 6 samples from their 'Best Of' CD.)

Go to www.cheap-cds.com and get all the old stuff for under ten bucks. (Up until this year when they upped their shipping rates, their handling rates, and the CD prices.) But they're still the best deal in^H^Hout of town now that they get $3 more per title, the greedy bastids.(either at Cheap or distributors)
--- - Sarcasm is just one more service we offer. - http://diversify.com Web Applications
On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 05:01:40 GMT, Larry Jaques wrote:

Not to worry....they're an acquired taste! I was going to mention that I quite liked `Great Gig in the Sky' but I thought better of it ;)
With regards the original question `Is Usenet Dying?' No. I've seen other groups undergo troll attacks like this group recently experienced; eventually the trolls get bored (like the one on this group seems to have done) and some semblance of sanity returns. Filters are essential though.
Whilst people keep on reading news the ISPs will support it. A full feed sucks up a frightening amount of bandwidth/storage but bandwidth/storage prices are falling and as far as I'm concerned I wouldn't consider using an ISP that didn't offer netnews.
We're in a small minority of 'net users but you have to remember that most of the techs at ISPs really need to read Usenet in order to do their jobs, since that's the case it's then trivial to give your customers access to your news server.
--

Frank

Larry Jaques wrote:

Hrm... Under ten bucks sounds good.

Oh.

Floyd and ELP. And nothing else matters I guess...
irax.
brought forth from the murky depths:

I saw Keith Emerson spinning and playing 8' off the stage wilst strapped to a piano bench and an electric grand piano (or was that the MOOG?) at the Cal Jam. THE Cal Jam, not some second string later concert. We were close enough to center of the infield that the QUAD sound system worked. </dating myself>
-------------------------------------------------------------------- I sent in my $5, so * http://www.diversify.com/stees.html why haven't I been 'saved'? * Graphic Design - Humorous T-shirts
Larry Jaques wrote:

I think I saw that on Don Kirshner's Rock Concert. ??
That had to have been over thirty years ago.
There's been some good music composed after the 18th century. Just not a whole lot recently.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio

Ahem. First of all, it's bad form to date yourself, but I guess if no one else will do it. As for ELP, I saw them play in what I'm guessing was the same tour (around the time of the release of Brain Salad Surgery). Quad sound and Emerson was playing what looked like a cross between a giant B-3 and something from Phantom of the Opera. (Or was that the drugs?)
They were right in the middle of Take A Pebble (and it's about a 12 minute song on the album, and much longer live) when the cops pulled the plug and turned all the lights on. It seems they were trying to enforce a no-smoking ban and some of the crowd wasn't cooperating. *cough*
While the law officer was waddling offstage, Emerson started into something that sounded strangely like keystone cops music. He then proceeded to re-start Take A Pebble from the beginning and this time there were no interruptions.
IIRC, they closed the show with Karn Evil ("come see the show", etc.) and he ended it with the effects on the quad system going full-tilt-boogie from corner to corner of the auditorium while the synthesizer went up in smoke. (Or was that the drugs?)
A couple of years ago I dug out a bunch of old ELP stuff, and when I put it on I was struck by how pretentious, overbearing and pompous it was. In other words, it sounded as good as ever.
Chuck Vance Just say (tmPL) God, those were the days. (Or was that the drugs?)
On 12 Dec 2003, Conan the Librarian spake unto rec.woodworking:

    Amen to that. I lived in north Jersey during my high school years, half an hour from New York City. Got to see lots of great shows at Madison Square Garden and the Capitol Theater in Passaic - Jethro Tull, Allman Bros., Frank Zappa & the Mothers, and speaking of pompous and pretentious, Yes. Rick Wakeman wasn't quite as bombastic as Keith Emerson, but he wasn't any slouch, either.
    The most memorable - this was the late sixties to mid 70's, mind you, so 'memorable' is relative - was a Pink Floyd concert on the 4th of July at the Garden. It was the 'Animals' tour, we had seats on the floor about 12 rows from the stage, dead center. They played most of 'Wish You Were Here' and some of 'Dark Side of the Moon' in addition to 'Animals.' At one point some idiots in the nosebleed seats started tossing firecrackers off the balconies (it being the 4th of July, after all) and Roger Waters got seriously ticked off and interrupted the show, telling the malefactors to "sod off." The crowd went wild, and the nonsense stopped.
    Today's synthetic pop crap and rap "music" can't hold a candle, never mind 20,000 Bic lighters, to those days.
On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 21:33:05 -0500, Silvan

OBWW: "Careful with that axe, Eugene."
Tom Watson wrote:

Yeah man. :)
(I said that to my boy a lot when I was teaching him how to use one.)

IMHO, I can build a cheap computer for roughly what a cheap computer costs at WallyWorld (e.g. - eMachines). When the components of the system approach $1000 or so, is where there is a real advantage to 'building-yer-own'. I get most of my parts from newegg.com, they have excellent service and decent prices.
The main reason I build my own systems (and those for my friends) is that I know what kind of components are going into the system. I can pick and choose my own quality power supply, heatsink, fans, etc. With a cheap eMachine system, you're getting a cheap POS power supply that will likely give you problems on your first upgrade or addition of a powered peripheral... that's a headache I don't need.
Besides, I order the parts from newegg, they come to my door 4 days later tax-free, and I can put the system together in the time it takes me to drive to WallyWorld, deal w/ the hassle of the WallyWorld crowds, and drive back home. ;-)

I'd be a complete pain at any system builder because I know exactly what I want in my system. I know exactly what brand I want, exactly what component I want and I won't take anything else. Most of them try to use the least expensive parts and off-brands so they make more profit but I want the top of the line. If I'm going to pay for it, I want something that will last.
Easier and cheaper to do it myself.

Here's another compelling reason to build your own: Test http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i 27&p=1
Summary http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i 27&p
Here's a quote: "The Pentium III based Celerons offered, at one time, acceptable performance. However, it is clear that in the value segment today, Intel has nothing to offer but a high clock speed. AnandTech readers will know to stay away from the Celeron at all costs; however, what is troublesome are the number of retail customers who are faced with the decision between a higher priced 2.6GHz Celeron system and an Athlon XP 2200+. We would highly encourage system vendors like Compaq and eMachines to shift their low-end focus to AMD if their customers are of any importance at all. As we've seen through our extensive benchmarking, the Celeron's performance is truly dismal; so while Intel is quite competitive in the mid-range and high-end segments, their value processors are inexcusably slow compared to AMD." End Quote.
Most folks who don't know any better will always choose the Pentium (Celeron), not knowing the amount of performance they are giving up.
Then there are the overclocking guys (another compelling reason to build your own). With quality components and a few changes in the BIOS, a lot of guys are running the AMD Barton 2500+ (1.83Ghz) processor at an actual 2.2Ghz, which would put it on par with a Pentium4 3.0Ghz chip. The Barton chip is $86 and the P4 chip is $268 (ref: newegg.com). $182 more for equal performance!