Is Usnet Dying?

Page 6 of 11
Charlie Self wrote:

Yeah, and with me it's only about a decade. Maybe even five years since I used to enjoy that stuff.
Reminds me, I need to change the oil next year. :)
I used to do it twice a year, but I only put 1200 miles a year on my car, and it just seems like a waste of money, skin, blood, and hand cleaner.
On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 21:01:03 -0500, Silvan

And all that condensed water in the oil (now creating sulphuric acid) is actually -good- for the bearings, right?
Do yourself a favor. Spend $18.67 every 4 months at WallyWorld and get fresh oil installed. (Your engine may outlive you.)
============================================================= Like peace and quiet? Buy a phoneless cord. http://www/diversify.com/stees.html Hilarious T-shirts online =============================================================
On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 03:05:56 -0500, Silvan

Half these places were the Chinese guys and they were still overcharging. Their retail markup must be ridiculous, plus they were trying to charge $75 an hour for labor.

If you know what you're doing, there's no mess and no ripped knuckles. A socket set, a pair of long-nose pliers and brake parts and you're done in an hour. No muss, no fuss.
Brian Henderson wrote:

Yeah, whatever you say, Chief. No fuss, no muss, sounds like you're a freaking master mechanic for sure. Feel free to come by and do my brakes any time you want. I guaran-damn-tee you that you won't get through a job on one of *my* rust buckets in an hour. It'll probably take you that long just to get a wheel off.
On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 23:37:13 -0500, Silvan

Since I have an air compressor for my nail guns I bought an impact wrench last Spring. That is far and away the best tool I've ever bought for mechanical work. I've added an air ratchet to it as well. Wish I'd had those 20 years ago when I was doing lots of work on cars. Back then buddy and I once changed the clutch on his hot rod in about 2 hours, which isn't too bad when you consider it required removing and reinstalling the engine.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com

Sounds like your vehicles suffer from both your ham fisted mechanical skills as well as years of pitiful neglect.
I do ALL my own mechanical work and there is not a single job on any of my cars I cannot do myself. From a simple brake job, all the way to dropping the transmission out or pulling the motor and stripping the block.... and these are OLD New England vehicles (salt+snow+age=rust).
--
John G.
http://www.shavings.net/survival.htm
ClydesdaleMTB wrote:

Yeah, well, OK. I've thought about it a bit. I probably *do* suck at that kind of stuff. I was snide because I was feeling defensive, but I really don't have any *reason* to be defensive. The fact is, I just haven't done that much car work. Four brake jobs in 15 years, three mufflers, a water pump, a few valve cover gaskets, spark plugs, wires, etc.... I shouldn't be expected to do any of these jobs in an hour because I haven't done anything often enough to be quick and confident about it.
So I was a smartass without good reason, and I apologize to both of you and anyone else who's thinking what an asshole I am about now.
I still stand by what I said originally though. I really don't enjoy car work at all, and if I could afford to, I'd never fool with it again.
It's a PITA, a black hole for time, and yes, I invariably cut myself or bark my knuckles on something. And yes, for that matter, I *am* clumsy. Clumsy as hell. I always have been. I get defensive about it, but I can't help it. My hands twitch, and I move with all the delicate grace of a three-legged rhinoceros. I accomplish what I do in spite of these limitations, and in the end I don't do too damn bad at all.
There's no shame in admitting I suck at auto mechanics. So there. I suck at auto mechanics. I suck at sports too. Hooooo boy. Lucky for me, my wife doesn't care about any of these things, which is why I'm not a 31-year-old virgin. There's hope even for dorks like me.
On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 16:24:06 -0500, ClydesdaleMTB

Actually, I didn't write that, that was a response to me. Watch the attribs. ;)

Pretty much the same here, although there are some jobs I will hand off to the professionals, simply because they've got better tools and more time than I do. But I certainly can drop a transmission or pull an engine or replace any component in the car if necessary and more often than not, I can do it for 1/3 the price and time that a professional shop can.
Tim Douglass wrote:

Wouldn't do me any good since it would just wrench the studs off anyway. :)

If it was an old car 20 years ago, it was probably relatively easy to pull the engine. People from the '60s back had it made. Nowadays it's hard to even *find* the engine under all the wires and hoses.
Still, that's pretty impressive!
We got "skills" man....SKILLS... I always loved the look of someone who couldn't figure out where all the wires and hoses go....and then we put them all back in a couple of minutes...

#243621
solarman wrote:

I'll bet. That's one I've never had any real desire to do, even back when I was thinking of myself as a car guy.
On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 02:45:33 -0500, Silvan

That was my forte, too. I loved tearing into dashboards and creating new wiring harnesses for crashed vehicles when we couldn't find a new harness. Ever use 2 full rolls of electrical tape on a single project? Of course, doing that on a full and dripping garbage truck was the one time I really disliked that job. Their taillight harness got chewed by a wheel and I had to rewire it when it was full and R I P E !
I have more fun behind a keyboard nowadays, though.
----- = The wealth of reality, cannot be seen from your locality. http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
Swingman wrote:

Yup, probably. One of the guys unloading my truck yesterday... Well, he's one of *those* kids. I made some comment in good-natured jest, and his reply was "Man, I ain't gonna be doin' this for long, man, I'm gonna go to college and become a sound engineer and then I'm gonna be rich as fuck dude so be nice to me."
Yeah, OK, sure... I don't even think he's being unrealistic, considering the last time I bought a newly-released CD was seven years ago, and it wasn't that good. :)
snipped-for-privacy@users.sourceforge.net says...

... he probably is being unrealistic. The last time a lot of people bought a CD was seven years ago, and it isn't because they're downloading .wav's; there just isn't that much good stuff out there. But then, like I've said before, IMO, they stopped writing music in about 1820 or so.
Mark & Juanitia writes:

I was trying to recall when the last time I bought a CD was...about 2-3 years ago, picked up a couple Kenny G recordings. At the same time, I bought some rock music...Bill Haley & The Comets and an old Ann Murray. My musical sophistication doesn't reach back as far as Mark's, or as deeply probably, but in all honesty, I can say F**K every other word without paying 15 bucks for the CD. Or without thinking about someone like Leean Rimes, in an article in yesterday's paper, talking about how she straightened her life out after "all her troubles." The kid's 21, worth maybe 50 million bucks, and who gives a damn.
I can remember his name now...ah, English for yard, Garth something or other...who kept putting out medicore songs in a medicore voice and selling millions of copies, while telling his fans that they had to take chances, get involved. IIRC, he retired at 35 or so, worth nearly half a billion.
I'm not about to add to it.
Charlie Self
"In the final choice a soldier's pack is not so heavy as a prisoner's chains." Dwight D. Eisenhower
Mark & Juanita wrote:

True. I like *looking* at a lot of what's out there now, but with the volume off for pity's sake!

More like the 1700s.
Well, except for Pink Floyd. J. S. Bach and Pink Floyd. What a weirdo I am.
snipped-for-privacy@users.sourceforge.net says...

Nah, I kind of share that kind of taste (or maybe we both aren't within the 3 sigma limits ;-) )

Silvan wrote:

Some Metallica and Rammstein music is to me non-boring. (Most music is.) Are you familiar with either of these bands? Neither is chained to the "E cord, E minor cord, and bar" of so many other bands.
-- Mark
Mark Jerde wrote:

I know what the Metallica logo looks like, sort of. Does that count? :)
On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 21:33:05 -0500, Silvan

I've seen P.D.Q. Bach in concert (what a hoot) and still adore Pink Floyd.
Much of today's music could be considered chamber pot music. Rap makes me miss disco.
---------------------------------------------------- Thesaurus: Ancient reptile with excellent vocabulary http://diversify.com Dynamic Website Applications ===================================================