Is Usnet Dying?

Page 5 of 11

Usenet is used by only a small percentage of total internet users. The binary groups consume a majority of an ISP's bandwidth, hence they begrudgingly support them.
--
McQualude

It depends on the ISP's implementation of the usenet/newsgroup protocols. If the ISP is trying to run news servers the update and transmission can be a major problem, Some of the Midsized and smaller ISP's use a passthru service. Supernews is both a usenet repository,and a ISP passthru provider. I believe Google also provides the service but is not as fast on posts. It takes less technical knowledge to provide passthru service, Just a couple of entries in the DNS. To figure out if your ISP is providing passthru or local news service do a "Ping" on the newsserver name. It will show if the server is inhouse or a passthru. in Tom's case it seems they are trying to run it in house.
Tom
Tom Watson wrote:

Tom,
I teach in the Networking Technologies department at the local community college - this semester I am teaching 3 sections of an Intro to Networking Basics course - just last week I was teaching a section on TCP/IP and its related sub-protocols - and as part of that lecture I was talking about NNTP - in all 3 classes I asked who knew what NNTP was - I got 50+ blank stares over the course of the day. Having explained what NNTP is, I then asked who used Newsgroups - and again got the blank 1000 yard stare. Man did I feel old - especially when I explained to them that you used to get your news by telnetting into a mainframe and just typing News ;-). I then took about 15 minutes and gave them a brief demo of at least reading news with Google as well as setting up Outlook Express (and talking about dedicated newsreaders). Not sure how many converts I made, but I was shocked to see no one was using this great resource. (But then again, most of these kids don't even know how to get around in DOS ;-))
-George-

George ...
<<Not sure how many converts I made, but I was shocked to see no one was using this great resource. (But then again, most of these kids don't even know how to get around in DOS ;-)) >>
It won't be too long before you'll be getting rooms full of kids who've never heard of DOS. <g>
Lee

George Gibeau wrote:

Good riddance to DOS anyway. I used to love DOS, but then I discovered Linux. Bash kicks ass! I can't stand to be at a DOS prompt anymore.
(Of course, I'm not one of those people who's helpless without the pointy clickie thingie working. I've just graduated to a *real* command line interface. :)
On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 13:46:44 GMT, "George Gibeau"

I remember teaching the local Marines how NOT to use WordimPerfect to edit their config.sys and autoexec.bat files. Hell, I remember back when an operating system fit on a single-sided 5-1/4" floppy. (Dad's Kaypro w/ CPM) Ask your kids about those for a laugh. ;)
Usenet is the second (if not top) most valuable resource on the Internet. Search Engines and their access are top. But if you need a question about ANYTHING answered in a matter of minutes, Usenet comes through every time. And most of the answers are somewhat right, too! =:0
------------------------------------------- Stain and Poly are their own punishment http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design =====================================================
Larry Jaques writes:

Dad's KayPro? Had my own KayPro, thanks. Loved that thing, but didn't love WordPerfect on it, so I used WordStar, after I had trouble with Perfect Writer. Both just about totally vanished from ANY scene now.
Charlie Self
"Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it." E. B. White
Larry Jaques wrote:

A friend had a Kaypro. One of those "almost" compatibles, right?
I still have a 5.25" floppy drive around here somewhere.
Silvan asks:

No. cp/m was not intended as a compatible. It was there first, meant to become the big dog on the block, and using it almost cost KayPro its shirt, which it later lost anyway, IIRC.
That portable cp/m machine was a delight. And weigh 22 pounds. Keyboard snap latched to the 7" screen/case/cpu. Green screen. IIRC, you also had a choice of amber, but at extra cost. I went for green. The package, with a Juki ball head printer, cost me almost $2400 (Colonial Computers, Salem).
Charlie Self
"Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it." E. B. White
Charlie Self wrote:

OK, the one I'm thinking of was a green screen deal, no hard drives, and the guy was trying to run DOS 3.x on it IIRC. Kept having minor problems with stuff not working, and decided the computer was a chucker. It was a hand-me-down by that point.
On 24 Nov 2003 10:36:24 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

Ah, yes. Shades of my Osborne 1. Still stored around here somewhere. I wonder if the floppy disks will still read after 10 years or so.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Tim Douglass responds:

I cheated. I bought a PC (KayPro, natch), and sold the cp/m KP to a guy who was setting up a garbage pick-up business. AFAIK, he was perfectly happy with it for some time.
The PC was an 8 mHz (a speedster, though, as it ran at 10 mHz), 640K, with a 20 meg hard drive (went belly up in 3 months, so I laid out an extra $315 for a 32 meg drive). I refused to lay out $1100 to fill out the 640K to 1 meg.
Cost about the same as the KayPro cp/m had a couple years earlier.
Charlie Self
"Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it." E. B. White
Charlie Self wrote:

$2500 was always about what it took to get a new computer of any quality.
I guess maybe it still is, but I can't imagine anyone *needing* what $2500 gets you these days. The Wal-Mart after Thanksgiving cheapass piece of crap computer this year is a 2.7 GHz Celeron with 256 MB of RAM, a 40 GB hard drive, and a 17" monitor. Eghads. That's what a $498 computer looks like today?
Mine is a l'il ol' 1 GHz. Considering that about all I do with it is browse the web by modem and read usenet, I can't see upgrading it for many years to come. I'll probably get a 10 GHz box for $498 when I do. :)
Silvan writes:

It makes my head hurt. I got a new computer about 6 months ago. 3 gig Pentium 4; 1 gig of RAM, 120 gig hard drive. Same old monitor. The thing has some extras, fast CD burner (no DVD: save that for later, when the prices are down in the CD range), I had them add a floppy drive, something like 6 USB 2 ports, modem, network card, couple things I'd have to look up. $1700. For the original $2500, I think I could have replaced my 19" monitor with a 21" or gotten a good 19" LCD. I got this because I was doing more and more digital photography, and the loads with the older machine were eating on my nerves.
My wife got my old 1 gig Pentium 3. That has only 3/4 gig of RAM. I've found over the years that the best and cheapest speed-up is adding RAM.
The youngest kid got the machine my wife had been using (300 mHz?).
Keep it in the family and recycle.
I built both those older machines, so they were a lot cheaper. This time around, I let George do it.
Charlie Self
"If a politician found he had cannibals among his constituents, he would promise them missionaries for dinner." H. L. Mencken
Charlie Self wrote:

Me too, incidentally. I used to build'em myself, spec every part, tweak, diddle, and massage for the ultimate performance.
Now it's just not worth the headache of making sure this will work with that. I got my last computer at a local place. It cost the same whether I had them build it or not, so I let them do it.
Not sure what I'll do next time, since I don't want to pay the Microsoft tax, and they don't like to build computers without operating systems. I guess I'll worry about it later.
On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 09:25:44 -0500, Silvan

Last time I did a complete upgrade, I went around and got some price quotes for the system if they installed it. The prices I got ended up being 2-3x as much as it cost me to just do it myself and that's not even counting the money I saved using perfectly good components that I already had. In the end, the labor costs far exceeded the hardware costs and I'm about the cheapest labor I know. ;)
Brian Henderson wrote:

This wasn't an upgrade. Since they finally changed the case spec, I had to buy a new box, and all new components. I priced parts, determined that these people literally only cost a few dollars more (like $15-20) than buying parts mail order (after considering shipping vs. sales tax). It cost essentially nothing to have them put it all together, so I let them build the damn thing and that was that.
I've put together enough computers in my day that I take no joy in it anymore. Sort of like working on my car. Been there, done that, and if I could afford to pay a mechanic, I'd never touch the thing again. I'm definitely not a wrench jockey, and I'm not a computer hardware guy either.
On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 21:33:23 -0500, Silvan

My point was that it would have cost me 2-3x more to buy an entirely new system. One place quoted me $2200 for a computer that I built myself for $500. A couple others couldn't even build the system I wanted because they only used Intel chips and I wanted AMD.

I do most of my own work. I did my wife's rear brakes a week ago or so for $40, which included pads and having both rotors resurfaced. It took me about an hour. If I took it to the shop, they'd charge me $200 and take 2 days.
Tell me which is better?
Brian Henderson wrote:

You were calling the wrong places, mayhap. These people are local, and they're Chinese. They have really good prices. I think maybe they get good deals from the manufacturers because they speak Chinese fluently. :)
I wouldn't pay $1700 not to build it myself, but for as much as $50, screw it, call me when it's ready.

If I had $200 I wouldn't miss (and it would take a *lot* for me not to miss $200, granted), I'd pay the wrench jockey to do it.
Not better, not worse. I can do a brake job. Take an afternoon and get greasy, rip open a few knuckles, make a big mess on my driveway, and not have any time left over to do anything fun.
I guess that's it right there. Working on my car used to be an end unto itself. Something I *did* for fun. Now it's something I *have* to do, that robs me of time spent doing something else.
Silvan writes:

Yeah. I can remember doing a lot of work on my old Studebaker because I had to, but it was also fun. I enjoyed hell out of ripping into my new '57 Chevy...until it came time to tune those dual 4 barrels. Went screaming to my old man for help then.
But now, I don't even like to check the oil. What a difference a *few* years can make!
Charlie Self
"Say what you will about the ten commandments, you must always come back to the pleasant fact that there are only ten of them." H. L. Mencken