Is Usnet Dying?

Page 4 of 11
On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 21:26:57 GMT, Tom Watson

That's absolutely false. Hell, you _alone_ have responded to at least 50 trolls on this group this month. Your 1/2 dozen troll-responding buddies did the same. <glare>

I think it's a burden to handle all the traffic so they say it's dying and just don't service it like they should. Switch ISPs, then stick with a good one.
-------------------------------------- PESSIMIST: An optimist with experience -------------------------------------------- www.diversify.com - Web Database Development
Larry Jaques wrote:

I'll agree to that last point in particular. I've seen'em come, and I've seen'em go. Dad changes ISPs more often than I change shoes, always trying to find the best deal. I've had the same ISP for 10 years.
One reason I haven't taken the plunge into cable is because I'd not only be paying way more than seems reasonable, but I'd also be trading my dead reliable local provider for a big name conglomerate that isn't even sure if it will ever emerge from bankruptcy.
Hell, I do banking the same way. My bank doesn't do ATMs or debit cards or any of that other fancy shit, but I've been dealing with the same bank for 15 years. Just about every other bank in town has been bought by some national conglomerate in that time.
You got lucky with the bank. I've been with one for 23 years. They've changed names 4 times.

CW wrote:

I guess they're not big enough to be attractive to any of the mega corps.
Spoken like an urban type. For some, there is a single choice. Or pay distance charges.
The answer, as I see it, is the demographic with the money to spend, and the place where you can put advertising are the winners, a bunch of old BBS and FidoFolks are soon to be losers. The trend favors the Napster-type format or the forums like Woodcentral, where the ads flow freely.
You think any of the kids understand the Windows modem icon? I remember my 300 had the top molded to mate comfortably with a standard desk set, as pictured. None of the kids I asked had any idea that telephones used to connect in line with modems, or that there were handset types with receiver cups. Probably antiques for sale on e-bay.
Come to think of it, I think I may still have that UDS 300 downstairs....

There goes that old "perspective" again. There was something very satisfying in one of the old text based Adventure games, where the graphics were in _your_ mind and imagination, instead of the incessant on-screen flash, whiz, bang, of the ADD generation(s).
Of course, a prerequisite to enjoyment was a mind richly prepared by reading and education, a commodity currently in short supply.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

I still have my original TI-99/4a and almost every piece of software ever issued for it, EXCEPT the Milton Bradley EU that allowed voice controlled games. Yep voice controlled games over 20 years ago.
The first Adventure game I saw was even before the TI-994A, on a mainframe in college, so the TI 99/4a added fuel to a fire that was already burning:
"You are on a beach as the sun rises to light the day. To your North, along the water's edge as the morning tide recedes, is what appears to be the mouth of a cave . At your feet is a bag of flares, an axe, a map, and a knife. You can only carry three of these items. Grab axe ... "Can't 'grab'". Take axe. To the South is a ......."
I sold my 99/4a for $250 at a garage sale in the late 80's, including the GE Cassette "hard drive". It was fully functional. May regret doing that one of these days. Learned the intricacies of assembly language, and Introduced my first daughter to the computing world with the kid's OS, "Turtle".
... how time flies. Time to start using a calendar instead of a watch.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

I have most of these for the TI as well. I loved these game although it was frustrating to come up with the correct key phrases. You can still buy these games BTW.

You've got that right!
snipped-for-privacy@here.now wrote:

Did it work any better than the thing for my CoCo? I remember going through the trainer.
George wrote:

An urban type... That's sort of funny.
I guess comparatively speaking, maybe, but I wouldn't characterize this as an urban area.
I think the main factor here is that we got into technology early. Supposedly the Blacksburg Electronic Village project was the very first one to open the doors of the internet to the general public. After a couple years of state-sponsored $6 internet, they talked a pair of companies into starting ISPs, and kicked all the non-university types off the BEV.
We had ISPs back in 1993, and I don't think very many places did back then. Definitely not many (or not any) places as rural in nature as this one. (I'm still with the same ISP I signed up with after getting kicked off the BEV, incidentally. My first provider was Radford University, then the BEV, and then these guys for the past 10 or so years.)

Sounds like you'd lump me in with the "kids." So yes, I do. We had one of those things when I was a wee lad, but I never used it for much. When I got into BBSing in about middle school, it was via a PC with an internal 1200 baud modem. Dad used the 300 baud acoustic coupler deal for work, from a Heathkit dumb terminal.
He might still have it. Should I try to sell it on eBay? :)
Silvan writes:

Oh, I dunno. Except I did get a good whiff of the barns as I ran the bypass this morning.
Compared to my area of Bedford, you're urban. Compared to Bedford service, you're urban. It's going to cost me $99 a month for a damned satellite hook-up, which essentially means I'm staying with a phone modem for the foreseeable future unless I hit the lottery.

Hey, especially if you've got the box. All kidding aside, but it on with NR, but a 10 buck starting bid and see what happens.
Charlie Self
"I am not worried about the deficit. It is big enough to take care of itself. " Ronald Reagan
Charlie Self wrote:

Yeah, lotsa urban cow pastures around here.

We're the second most urban area in southwestern Virginia, I'd say. We're quickly turning into Roanoke's bedroom. They closed the police academy and started sending cops to Salem to learn urban warfare tactics.
Yeah, I guess we're becoming urban. :(

Yeah, well, wah. :) I can't afford broadband either. I don't have that many options for that matter. Adelphia cable or modem. No DSL (ever), and I can't use that satellite stuff either since I don't run Windows.
I'm used to it though. I've never used broadband except at my kids' school. Sad when my web page loads faster off the net than it does off my own damn hard drive. Those kids are spoiled. Won't even use the computer at home, because it's too slow.

I can't sell anything on eBay anyway. My finances are a mess, and I don't have any open credit accounts. Last time I checked, you had to have a credit card so they could take their commission. I don't have that much to sell anyway.
No, I mean kids. The high-schoolers who, according to popular notions have to teach their elders how to use technology, but in reality know only GUIs, and in some cases don't even realize that the toolbars are common across many programs, but instead keep bashing about, locking up machines.
As to e-bay, wait until I try to peddle Motorola's former pride(300/1200), and I'll let you know....

George wrote:

Oh, OK then. I'll agree with you there then. These whippersnappers have no idea how to do anything if they can't pointy clicky it. They're all completely insulated from the underlying technology, and have no idea how anything works.
It's a whole different world now. I worked on my boss's daughter's computer. When I took it over to his house to set it back up, she was there with a bunch of her little teenie bopper friends. They were tripping over themselves with excitement at the prospect of her getting her computer back, so they could chat again.
Teenage girls getting excited about a *computer*? O_o
I was born 20 years too soon. Back when I was that age, I was getting beaten up for being a computer nerd.

Why would anyone ask for a moderated forum when we have you, Larry?
On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 14:31:02 GMT, Tom Watson

And sit up straight, boy. What a posture!
------------------------------------------- Stain and Poly are their own punishment http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design =====================================================
Will there be a disturbance in the force if I agree with you, Tom??
dave
Tom Watson wrote:

I don't see that problem at all, but maybe its because I live in a big city. Earthlink is my ISP and they just put in large East and West servers just to handle newgroups. The performance improvement was huge. They obviously believe Newsgroups are important for their customers. I highly recommend them.
Bob