Is Usnet Dying?

Page 11 of 11
Silvan wrote:

Anything you can safely do whilst driving, like listening to teaching tapes & voice recording thoughts & ideas? I've listened to 1000's of hours of tapes over the years...
-- Mark
Mark Jerde wrote:

I listen to lots o' stuff, but I have narry a clue how anything of that flavor might give me better options job wise.
I guess really what I need to do is finish paying off some bills, so I can afford to take a massive pay cut. If I could work for less money, I'd have a lot of options. T minus 24 months or thereabouts.
Silvan wrote:

Well, just off the top of my head, putting myself in your shoes, thinking about "How can I make some money off my love of languages?" - Written / spoken translation service. Uncle Sammy's so desperate for some languages, I hear, you might be able to do it from your home. - Tutoring -- Foreign languages -- English to U.S. newbies
I'm not saying these ideas are any good. Just agreeing with the late Earl Nightengale that you can come up with at least one idea that can change your life for the better.
-- Mark
Mark Jerde wrote:

None of your ideas are bad per se, but they're variations on themes I've pondered many times before. All I can really say is that I don't see anything language-related in my future, for any of myriad reasons. A decade ago, it might have been different, but I'm not the same person I was then. The skills and the interest are both long cold.
When I no longer have to drive a truck to stave off bankruptcy, and can weather a pay cut, I'll probably move into a different job with the same employer. I'm already lining something up. I like my employer a great deal; just not my job. The main reason I'm reaching a point where I can no longer tolerate my job is because standing on an accelerator 10 hours a day is ruining my knee.
Transferring to new job at the same place is a very practical, pragmatic, mature dream. I keep my years of service, vacation, 401(k), profit sharing, etc. These things are more important to me at this stage of life than *what* I do for a living. I'd like to have a rewarding, fulfilling career, but nothing I would *like* to do is capable of delivering a regular, uninterrupted, absolutely dependable stream of income. The mortgage company doesn't give a damn whether or not I'm content in my work; they just want the house payment on time.
That, or I win the lottery and pay off the house. Then I have lots of options.
On 29 Nov 2003 09:02:39 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

Heh. My sister's Doctoral dissertation was on something in Sir Gawain & the Green Knight - Maybe the origin of feminism in it or something.
Me, I was Co-Author of a computer book several years ago. Seems like I made $2500 or so.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Tim Douglass responds:

That makes more sense. To add some perspective, when I wrote one of those booklets, I'd just lost a job paying about $110 a week, doing writing and magazine editing for the local (Schenectady--then channel 17--WMHT) public TV station.
And I got $300 for my second or third magazine article sale, to Science & Mechanics.
Charlie Self
"I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it." George Carlin