Is this too much for a finial base?

I don't think so. It looks to be another masterful design interpretation of mating different materials for a new effect. How will you finish the chuck?

On a more serious note, looks like you are wrapping that bad boy up! I am looking forward to some good pics of this latest project. Looks like an out of the park homer to me!

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

My first thought was the base should not dominate the aesthetic view of or essence of the finial. The finial is the main piece, the main focus, and not the base in any way, yet, the base needs to complement the finial. You r base seems to be okay, to me. You can always make 2, different sizes or design, and run them past your customer.

Since I purchased the "Furniture Treasury" book, by Wallace Nutting, I've o ften referenced it for a historical reference, in cases as this..... what h as been the (seemingly) common practice or what seems to work the best, as used in the past. The bases, on the finials shown, show the base's diamete r are equal to or smaller than the finial. If you're in no rush, I can sc an the 15 pages and email them to you, later this evening. I haven't read the text, so I'm commenting on the pictures, as to design/size.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

It's hard to say until you've done the final painting on the project, but I think the finial should rotate, maybe with a little Tiki umbrella on top.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

Natural.

I'll do that, I hope to assemble it this weekend maybe a little sooner. I need another coat or two of varnish and then attach the assembly to the headboard.

Reply to
Leon

Now just in case you did not notice my tongue in cheek, ;~) I was talking about leaving the chuck on there. ;)

BUT in case you did not realize this THANK YOU for the generous offer for all the reference material.

The visible part of the finial is the stained part. I will cut the tennon about 1/2" from the base of the finial and plug it into the

1/2" hole in the wood finial base.
Reply to
Leon

Not the first time I've been dumb, that way. I saw the chuck, but missed the joke. I thought you might turn it down, some more, since the base was still chucked.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

I kinda have a dry sense of humor. I do appreciate your input though. I bring the finial and the chuck inside the house to remove if from the heat and high humidity that we have here in Houston. Rather than unchuck the finial I just screwed the whole thing off of the lathe and carry the pair back and for between recoats.

Reply to
Leon

On Thursday, August 21, 2014 10:07:40 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote: > On 8/21/2014

7:54 PM, Sonny wrote: > > > Not the first time I've been dumb, that way. I saw the chuck, but missed the joke.

Another first thought I had was "What the hell is Leon asking our input for , about design. He's more expert than we are!"

Not realizing the joke aspect, I was surprised, with your knowledge and cal ibre, that you would ask for assistance as that, that way. I'll blame my me ntal lapse on my busy long day, yesterday..... the newly hired lawn service arrived (I had forgotten about them coming), making some upholstery delive ries (in rainy weather), taking care of a few other errands and, late in th e evening, it was discovered one of the refrigerators stopped working, so i t was unloaded into the kitchen frig. I did manage to take pics of the corb els, but didn't load them onto Flickr, until this morning.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

The industrial/wood fusion style is all the rage now 8^)

Brewster