Is this too difficult for a newbie?

Morris Dovey wrote in news:zeGkc.73$ snipped-for-privacy@news.uswest.net:

Or, you may want to consider starting with just a headboard, for the time being. The joints are less structural, the materials commitment smaller, and you get a high percentage of the return that you would get by building the whole bed. I've done several in the last year, and the 'clients' (family members) are happy with them.

Beds take a LOT of shop room, especially if you are building king or queen sized. On the other hand, I've gotten to know my neighbors much better, as they stop by and talk while I'm doing dry fitting, joinery, assembly and finishing on rollabout tables and sawhorses in my driveway.

Some of them are pretty helpful, too.

Enjoy the discovery process, but I'd start by looking for 'small wins'.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

Thank you all for your advices. So, the general consensus is I should definitely do it since it's a great hobby. But it's better to start small, and take a class first. I think that's exactly what I'll do. I like Patriarch's idea, make the headboard first, or make a smaller bed like others suggested.

I think this is going to be fun. :-) Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Your biggest problem is the second mortgage on the house to "pay" for the material to build the bed.

I think, with proper tools and LOTS of time, you could almost certainly build the bed...

Adrian wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

tmyap snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Adrian) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

The bed doesn't look too technically hard to build, but if your like me the finishing is usually the part that takes the experience. With all the panels, your first project should be a router table. That was my first project and my goal was to make it as well constructed/fitted as furniture. I quickly discovered that I was several new tools and a couple of projects away from being ready for actual furniture. Besides, the router table, and work bench get used on every project so it wasn't really a time waster.

Good luck! Jim

Reply to
Jim