Is this *real* mahogany

Page 2 of 2
Tom,
Thank you for the very vivid articulation of Honduras Mahogany. I laughed for minutes.
Bob
(Charles Bragg (no, dammit,

no, dammit, not the painter) said:

There is a wood condition, I have forgotten the obvious name. Anyway, there is nothing you can do, it will not go away, you can't sand, scrape or plane it out.
I found this reference in Brazilian Mahogany: http://www.timpan.co.nz/timbers/mahogany_swietenia.html
"Fairly easy to work. The presence of tension wood gives rise to fuzzy surfaces and deeply interlocked grain causes some grain tearing in quarter sawn surfaces."
--
McQualude

Charles Bragg (no, dammit, not the painter)

+ + + I can't say. - as to if this is mahogany, who can tell from just a few words? - there is a phenomenon called reaction wood, which will do weird things, but I cannot say I ever heard this being a problem in mahogany. Crotch pieces should have plenty of reaction wood and these obviously can be finished just fine. - it is not sapwood, since this would have a different color - it should not be interlocked grain, since although this will cause tearout it can sanded quite smooth (may take a long time in bad cases). Note that scraping would not do it, since the streak would have to be scraped in the opposite direction from the surrounding wood). If is interlocked grain then sanding thoroughly and refinishing (or just refinishing) should solve it.
My guess would be badly interlocked grain, since this will locally behave like end grain, but it is a guess only. PvR
Well I'm not feeling to good now....
I just bought a bunch of African Mahogany fairly cheap. Most of it has been planned and was real smooth so I thought I would chance it. Pay your money, take your chances. I was aware of it's reputation however. But you know how it is, I thought my experience would be different. Hope springs eternal.
John
Charles Bragg (no, dammit, not the painter) wrote:

Well I'm not feeling to good now....
I just bought a bunch of African Mahogany fairly cheap. Most of it has been planned and was real smooth so I thought I would chance it. Pay your money, take your chances. I was aware of it's reputation however. But you know how it is, I thought my experience would be different. Hope springs eternal.
John
Charles Bragg (no, dammit, not the painter) wrote:

Home Depot was selling some crap wood under the name "Aspen" that does this same thing. You can sand the hell out of it, and it stays fuzzy. I took a load of it back for a refund - after I'd cut it to size and started sanding. Told then it was unusable, even painted. They took it back.
I've been buying "genuine mahogany" from a company that claims it comes from managed forests in South America. It's great wood, works easy, finishes great and it's cheaper than poplar or oak, if you're willing to buy it by the bundle.
Bob
"Charles Bragg (no, dammit, not the painter)"