Is this ng active?

This used to be an active NG, but my ISP (TeraNews) doesn't show anything since January 2004.
LurfysMa wrote:

Nope, there's nobody here but us chickens. And a few hundred messages every day.0
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

Gotta wonder how he's going to see these responses if his ISP hasn't updated in over a year...
Lee
Lee DeRaud wrote:

I wondered about that too, but I figured that he had something worked out. You know, a seance, ouija board, something like that.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

Uh... it was a test. I couldn't believe that the ng had died as it used to be very active, but I wasn't seeing anything. So, I thought I try a post to see it if showed up. It didn't, so something had to be wrong. It seems to be working now. I just got 27,000 headers. Still not sure what was wrong. Moonspots?
LurfysMa wrote:

More likely the news server burped.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
Dave in Fairfax wrote:

Couldn't be your browser settings....

Mark Thieme wrote:

Less likely. Servers burp every now and then and repost a bunch of stuff. We went through this about a year and a half ago as I recall. Most people don't play with their settings, so if it just happens without having done anything, it's usually the server.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

Yep, your News Service (TeraNews) is seriously screwed. If you can read this (and if you can, then your problem is solved), you probably need to unsubscribe, then re-subscribe to the newsgroup. Teranews probably re-indexed something.
Used to use them for a little while; they were down more than they were up, I could only see about 1 of every 10 abpf postings. SuperNews on the other hand has been hassle and worry free.
On Thu, 05 May 2005 21:21:09 -0700, Mark & Juanita

Will that help? What does it do?

I think you are right. I've only been with them a few weeks. It was great for a week or so, but nothing but trouble since.

What 're-indexing' does is _change_ all the article numbers. *ON*THE*SERVER*.
Your newsreader "thinks" you've seen articles through "number 87 gazillion and 4", because that was the number of the last article you read, and _now_ the server is dishing up article numbers in the low thousands. Smaller than before, so these *must* be 'previously read' articles, and your news- READER program therefore doesn't show them to you.
The 'fix' for that particular issue is to tell the newsreader program to 'forget' what it knows about previously-read articles, and start over.
Unsubscribing, and then re-subscribing, *may* accomplish that 'forgetting'.

But it would be so easy to just _try_....

shhh.... we're in stealth mode..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis wrote:

I thought we were hunting wabbits. Or was it tree rats.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
LurfysMa wrote:

Don't you know that 90% of woodworkers are old milkshakes and don't know how to operate a computer! :-)
KIDDING!

It actually seems to be in remission now but will undoubtedly become active again soon.