Is this a US-only group?

Page 1 of 4
It's interesting; most of the groups I follow have a mixture of people from all over the world; lots of US people of course, almost as many from the UK, and a sprinkling of others, mostly from countries where English is spoken well (Canadians of course, Ireland, the Dutch, all the Scandinavians, the Finns, most of India and Pakistan, Malaysia, ...). But a quick scan through this group just now, though hardly rigorous, showed me only US posters and lots of US-specific topics (Home Depot, Craigs list ...)
Before you start to hit the keyboard harder read this, though: it's fine with me if the answer is "yes": it's just odd, that's all.
--

Henry Law Manchester, England

I think it includes all of Europe and Australia as well. The majority of posters are North Americans, but speaking for myself, all who make sawdust and shavings (or want to) are certainly welcome. One of our favorite sources of quality tools is Lee Valley and they are a Canadian company. It seems that Hitachi used to be Italian ( I may be wrong about that though).
Henry Law wrote: | It's interesting; most of the groups I follow have a mixture of | people from all over the world; lots of US people of course, almost | as many from the UK, and a sprinkling of others, mostly from | countries where English is spoken well (Canadians of course, | Ireland, the Dutch, all the Scandinavians, the Finns, most of India | and Pakistan, Malaysia, ...). But a quick scan through this group | just now, though hardly rigorous, showed me only US posters and | lots of US-specific topics (Home Depot, Craigs list ...) | | Before you start to hit the keyboard harder read this, though: it's | fine with me if the answer is "yes": it's just odd, that's all.
As of 04:04 this morning, these are the recorded May hits by domain/country at my web site. I think most of the search engine hits fall into either the "Network" or "US Commercial" catagories. Nearly all of my site activity is the result of posting articles here and to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking.
There have been 106401 total hits so far in May - from 67 countries. Here are the "Top 30":
1 41364 38.88% Network 2 27573 25.91% US Commercial 3 14367 13.50% Unresolved/Unknown 4 3051 2.87% Canada 5 2865 2.69% India 6 1920 1.80% Australia 7 1551 1.46% Italy 8 1233 1.16% Hungary 9 1110 1.04% US Educational 10 1107 1.04% United Kingdom 11 1047 0.98% New Zealand (Aotearoa) 12 969 0.91% US Military 13 780 0.73% Greece 14 705 0.66% Non-Profit Organization 15 459 0.43% France 16 414 0.39% Thailand 17 402 0.38% Belgium 18 399 0.37% Brazil 19 399 0.37% Mexico 20 396 0.37% Poland 21 324 0.30% Netherlands 22 318 0.30% United States 23 300 0.28% Sweden 24 282 0.27% Czech Republic 25 279 0.26% Switzerland 26 267 0.25% Finland 27 264 0.25% Germany 28 252 0.24% US Government 29 219 0.21% Turkey 30 192 0.18% Japan
Methinks there are a _lot_ more lurkers than posters. I wish more of the lurkers would join in our discussions...

No.
I've gotten replies from folks all over, including a gent in Iceland.
Not yet.
Henry:
AFAIK; this newsgroup is dominated by posters from North America, although, I suspect many more read this NG
There are several forums, which are moderated, that have many more EU members. I recommend: http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/index.php
It seems that in the UK, there are lots more problems with finding wood suppliers than most North American's have any concept of. I, as someone who lives in North America, finds the price you pay in the UK for raw wood products / lumber is just unbelievably too high. Doesn't your lumber have to have some sort of certification that the source of the lumber is from a re- newable forest or some such?
Phil

Not 100%
Barry, Christchurch, New Zealand.
At least one from Nelson, New Zealand
Larry

There you go Henry, that makes 3 Kiwis so far. And I am positive I have seen a number of messages originating in Oz, and spotted several Pommy posters. A sprinkling of Continental entries also. There are bound to be more lurkers out there ....
</waves to Barry and Larry> -P.
Dam, I thought this was a Japanese group all along.....mjh

Henry Law wrote:

of A and Canada, posters from all over the world are more than welcome.
David Starr
David Starr wrote:

Henry Law wrote:

I've learnt some interesting things in this group over the years and hopefully been able to help a few people on the way. It does get a little frustrating tho, when you mention an Aussie Co such as Bunnings and get no response and when Home depot is mentioned the flood gates open. Oh well that's what you get when your the 51st state :)
Just have fun
regards John
John B wrote:
<snip>
| It does get a little frustrating tho, when you mention an Aussie Co | such as Bunnings and get no response and when Home depot is | mentioned the flood gates open. Oh well that's what you get when | your the 51st state :)
John...
I hadn't thought about that. Would it help if the subject of articles dealing with tool/wood sources carried a US-vendor/CA-vendor/etc tag?
This might facilitate filtering out stuff of little or no interest to people in other regions...
"Morris Dovey" wrote in message

the fence.

You mean that topless 20-year-old cutting the grass on the other side of the street?
Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Lee Michaels wrote:

Very rarely do want what's on the other side of the fence. The devil you know is better than the devil you don't. ;)
regards John
Morris Dovey wrote:

Na, not really. I wasn't bitching about the US content, it's rather amusing some times seeing the big retailers getting a serve :) It was the other way around, just wishing there was a bit more Oz content, but as the say "Wish in one hand and sh*t in the other and see which fills first". ;) all the best John

There are other places to narrow yourself to your particular region. http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/index.php?s= is a pretty good one.
One nice thing about the US folks is we're used to - dare I say - kowtowing to minority interests. "For Spanish, press two." Al and Jesse are working on "for Ebonics press three...."
on 5/21/2007 1:52 AM Morris Dovey said the following:

I am/was a woodworker, but haven't done anything serious in years, but as a lurker, I still like to read about others' experiences. I, like you, give my location in my sig line. If others did the same in worldwide newsgroups, at least we/you would know where we're/you're coming from.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY