Is this a new one?

Page 1 of 2
I just got a file, supposedly bounced back to me as an email I sent that had a virus attached.
There was an attachment in the name of the company bouncing it.
I never heard of the company.
I am not about to open that attachment.
Charlie Self "For NASA, space is still a high priority." Dan Quayle
No, I have been getting those for a year now.
Charlie,
Any returned email daemon these days is most likely a virus or Trojan horse. I've been getting several returned emails also - just delete them and make sure your AV program is running and up to date.
Bob S.

I have been getting e-mails from SBC Yahoo indicating that some one has tried to send me an e-mail with a virus attached. They supposedly caught the e-mail and request that I ask the sender to resend. Oddly the warning always e-mail has a 25k attachment. I delete'em.

What I want to know is... Doesn't your ISP have virus detection? Do you have virus detection?

KB8QLR asks:

Yup.
Is either one going to detect a virus in an unopened attachment, though?
Charlie Self "I am confident that the Republican Party will pick a nominee that will beat Bill Clinton." Dan Quayle
On 29 Apr 2004 13:45:35 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

depends on the virus checker and the attachment. if it's a locked zip file, no. if the attachment is html referencing something like a trojan or a buffer overrun exploit on some website somewhere the virus scanner won't get it either.

Actually, McAfee does have an option to scan inside zip files.
Renata
On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 14:40:35 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@igetenoughspamalreadythanks.com wrote:

as can most virus scanners. however, if the zip file is password protected the scan will fail. some viruses have been circulated lately inside of locked zip files, with the password attached in a readable text file. it's a bit of that social engineering... get the user to run the virus code.

Many, probably even most, ISP's either do not scan incoming mail or they make it voluntary, which means many people either don't use it or don't know it's available (Charlie's ISP is AOL, I have no idea what their policy is). Your ISP is Earthlink, their scan is voluntary.
Regretably, virtually no ISPs scan outgoing mail, which would be far more useful.
John
John McCoy wrote:

Well John - fancy meeting you here.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com

Great minds think alike, or something :-)
John
On 29 Apr 2004 12:43:27 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

Common. Is the filesize around 41.8Kb give or take? Easy to spot. I've advised people for dcades on this sort of thing. Look for them even from "friends' who can inadvertently send one. Make sure there is reference to the file, size and name and intent, in the body of the email, or chuck it. You can reply to a friend first to enquire before deleting out of hand.
Delete from your trash folder as well! There are programs to *really* delete files, but you have to have some fair experience with computers to use them effectively, knowing where and how some files are stored.
Dan.
yawn.
so don't open it, already!
dave
Charlie Self wrote:

online virus scan. its fast, effective, and free.
http://housecall.trendmicro.com /
Your welcome.

Charlie Self wrote:

There is a new virus circulating now called "WIN32/Bagle" that I got our company system yesterday. The attachment is s script file that had a ".hta" extension. McAfee came out with an update for their virus software to catch it yesterday as well (4/28/2004).
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

Charlie what you got is a virus that came via someone who has an infected PC. They have your email address and when they got infected, the virus mined their email list to send the virus to other users. That's how the viruses are propagated. The virus writer then hopes you open the attachment and get infected. Especially if you use outlook, which is easily infected. Then your email list is mined and everyone you know gets an email just like you did.
And so it goes...so don't open the attachement, OR ANY ATTACHMENT unless it's from someone you know and even then, run updated virus protection if you're using a PC.
If you're on a Mac, it matters not. No known viruses in the wild these days, only one known "proof of concept" virus showing how to infect a Mac via an mp3 file.
--
Regards,
JP
"Jim Polaski" wrote in message

Not that I am defending Outlook, but if you open an virus attachment using any e-mail client, or even another program in some instances, you are likely to get infected.

A virus writer attempts to maximize impact by writing for the most ubiquitous platform, that pretty well excludes Mac's from the biggest infestations, but any OS can be subject to security problems/ viruses and that is why there is anti-virus software available for Mac's as well.
Just a little 'anti-spin' counterforce .02
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/13/04

True, but the problem with Lookout and Lookout Exploit is that there are viruses written that will allow themselves to be executed just by downloading the message that they are delivered in thanks to security holes in the OS and/or the mail client. Granted, staying current on your Windows Updates will help out in that regard.
Also, don't be lulled into the false sense of security that if you merely "preview pane" an e-mail that you are safe. "Preview pane"ing an e-mail, at least in Outlook Express or Outlook is pretty much the equivalent of opening the e-mail by double clicking on it. While _most_ virii require you to open the attachment for them to perform their infection routine, spammers will often use a bit of code embedded in HTML that will phone home to confirm a live e-mail address...and you all know where that will lead.
Charlie, as for the specific worm in question, without knowing more details (and it's really all academic at this point), it's hard to tell which one you received. There are four new variants on the loose that have been given "medium risk" status, meaning they're spreading in the wild. Should be an interesting summer for the network administrators.
Rob
http://forums.amateurtermite.com
"Rob Walters" wrote in message

Not "but's" ... it _can_ be written and desiminated to happen as stated above.

That's an Active x variant that a patch was available for as late as October ... if you haven't applied that, you deserve what you get. You also have to turn on and permit active x controls to run in html e-mail, and that's not been default for a few years.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/13/04