Is this a gloat

Page 2 of 2
On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 01:44:58 GMT, "BillyBob"

In reality, it impairs angled use of said plane. :( I much prefer flatbottoms, TYVM.
------------------------------------------------------------- * * Humorous T-shirts Online * Norm's Got Strings * Wondrous Website Design * * http://www.diversify.com -------------------------------------------------------------
On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 23:51:25 GMT, "Searcher"

in terms of cash value, not really, unless it's not what it sounds like.
in terms of sentimental value, absolutely, unless you had to lose your grampa to get it.
in terms of where that plane can lead you, craftsmanshipwise, absolutely.

family. I would be extremely happy about that, nice tool for free. No wood workers in my family so I bought a sweet #5 non c type 12 on eBay for $10+s/h, just needed a cleaning and a sharpening, not all done yet.
I used the "scary sharp" method which works awesome. It is thick glass (junk shop) with multiple successions of different grades of AO sandpaper until finely honed. The SP back is lightly sprayed with 3m super 77, then onto the glass, using a blade honing guide. If inteested in typing your plane, click this link: http://www.hyperkitten.com/tools/stanley_bench_plane/dating/dating_flowchart.html you could also study-up on tuning the plane, many older users never did this or knew about it. These days it is all over the 'net on how to do it, here is a good example, actually the best: http://www.amgron.clara.net/planingpoints/planeindex.htm http://www.amgron.clara.net/planingpoints/planefettling/fettling.htm Have great luck in your woodwork!
Alex
Thanks for the link! http://www.hyperkitten.com/tools/stanley_bench_plane/dating/dating_flowchart.html
I just determined that I have a "Type 2" made 1869-1872. I've decided to "retire" this plane into my small collection of antique tools which are more for display (but can be used.) It just looks to good to keep in the shop now! --dave

1910-1918, but I'll be using it.
Sat, Dec 25, 2004, 11:51pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@burrverizon.net (Searcher) says: I just got my grandfathers old Stanley No. 5 <snip>
Dunno about a gloat, but definitely a warm fuzzy.
JOAT Diplomacy is the act of saying, "Nice Doggie" till you can find a big rock to bash in his skull. - Unknown
Searcher Wrote:

I don't think that it is officially a gloat until someone tells yo that you suck. So, you suck. But seriously, it doesn't matter if i is worth a dime or $10k, it's pretty cool that you have one of you grandfather's planes. Some of my most treasured tools came from m grandfather...I even have a spokeshave and a handful or auger bits tha more-or-less survived the fire that burned down his shop. They're no "worth" anything, but I wouldn't part with them. So, congrats
-- makesawdust