Is this a gloat

snipped-for-privacy@all.costs wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

DAGS for "plane wood". There are lots of sources for replacements, if you aren't up to making your own. We ARE woodworkers, aren't we?

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

It's a bit of a bitchy job though. I shaped one to perfection, finished it with beeswax, and then drilled the hole. Through the side of the handle. :(

Sacrificed that one to JOAT's woodworking gods. The beeswax burned good.

Reply to
Silvan

Sat, Dec 25, 2004, 11:51pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@burrverizon.net (Searcher) says: I just got my grandfathers old Stanley No. 5

Dunno about a gloat, but definitely a warm fuzzy.

JOAT Diplomacy is the act of saying, "Nice Doggie" till you can find a big rock to bash in his skull.

- Unknown

Reply to
J T

Rightious! Now that is a valuable and collectable antique. My type 11 #5 was made

1910-1918, but I'll be using it.
Reply to
AAvK

The handles not that bad and I can still use it rather well, Boy this thing really stayed sharp over all those years. I cleaned it up and it looks great for its age. I will use it and I am sure that my GF soul is in this thing. When I visit my GM I look at those doors and think this plane fit those doors!

RIch

Reply to
Searcher

I don't think that it is officially a gloat until someone tells yo that you suck. So, you suck. But seriously, it doesn't matter if i is worth a dime or $10k, it's pretty cool that you have one of you grandfather's planes. Some of my most treasured tools came from m grandfather...I even have a spokeshave and a handful or auger bits tha more-or-less survived the fire that burned down his shop. They're no "worth" anything, but I wouldn't part with them. So, congrats

-- makesawdust

Reply to
makesawdust

Good for you. THAT'S the feeling I was talking about. When you need new tote and knob, Woodcraft sells the set for about $25. SAVE the nut and shaft that go through each peice, the threads won't match the ones to modern Stanleys. If you have a bandsaw, and a lathe, you can make your own totes and knobs as you need them. Give me a yell if you have any questions.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax