Is this a gloat

I just got my grandfathers old Stanley No. 5 Anyone tell me some info on this plane?

Searcher1

Reply to
Searcher

Sorry, no gloat. There's gazillions of them. Read about it here

BillyBob

family passed down to you with emotional context it's a gloat. Show us a picture and describe it, and it's blade, a bit better it may be more than just what it appears. At the very least the age could be interesting. Your GD may not have bought it new.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

Ok, well, maybe next time. But its still a nice looker, I'll put er on the shelf.

Rich AKA Searcher1

Reply to
Searcher

Oh, hey wait a minute, I think this ones corrogated, WOuld that be grooves on the bottom?

Searcher1

Reply to
Searcher

Well, it's got a bit of rust on it, the edges are straight and smooth, the bottome is grooved. All adjustments seem to move freely but the handle is broken but intact

Searcher1

Reply to
Searcher

Sorry, I wasn't demeaning emotional or family value. When someone uses "gloat" in this conference, I think of it being defined in terms of monetary value. Emotional and family value is worth far more than money, if its your own family. Gloat is a bad term to be used with anything that is a family heirloom or momento.

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

It would be a 5C. The "C" stands for corrugated. In theory, it helps to alleviate friction in planing.

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

I didn't take it in a demeaning way, no worries....BB! Being relativley new to WW and with all the talk of old Stanleys from time to time I thought this might be something special aside from the fact that it was my GF's.

Searcher1

Reply to
Searcher

Old Stanley's are a cost effective way to get a good quality plane for your shop. They generally sell for $50-$150 on ebay. There are a few special rare models, but most of them follow a kind of supply-demand ebb and flow. They are also subject to the occasional ebay buyer psychosis, which runs the price up. A common Stanley plane in excellent condition with intact decals seems to drive a feeding frenzy, even if the plane was made in 1960. A No.

8 seems to always bring $80 or more, even if its a piece of crap. I guess there are not as many of them around.

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

in terms of cash value, not really, unless it's not what it sounds like.

in terms of sentimental value, absolutely, unless you had to lose your grampa to get it.

in terms of where that plane can lead you, craftsmanshipwise, absolutely.

Reply to
bridger

A number of Christmases ago my father gave me a Stanley plane. It was my first ever plane, and I'm surprised that I use it ten times more than I ever expected to. (I now have three planes and enjoy them all.) But this one is a Stanley plane marked as product 12-205, and inside the manual, under the same column as 5/5C, it's marked H1205. The dimensions are all the same as

5/5C. Anybody know what's the difference?

- Owen -

Reply to
Owen Lawrence

Conference. Wow, you just showed your age, or your roots, or both. :)

I disagree with you, and agree with Dave. Wholeheartedly. There are a bazillion #5s on eBay, but only one #5 inherited from Grandpa.

Gloats aren't always about money.

Reply to
Silvan

On the shelf? Do you have a #5 already? Sharpen it up and make some shavings with it. It's what your grandpa would have done.

They're not exquisite rare collectibles, but they *are* incredibly useful little critters. I have two of them, and use both of them regularly.

Reply to
Silvan

"Searcher" wrote in news:OJnzd.6668$1U6.3335@trnddc09:

So what you have is a 5C, for corrugated.

check out Patrick Leach's site:

, for more than you ever wanted to know about vintage Stanley hand tools.

Personal opinion: Old tools have a soul, a part of their former owners. Keep yours alive. Use it.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Many congrats! I think it is a good gloat really, especially if it came from family. I would be extremely happy about that, nice tool for free. No wood workers in my family so I bought a sweet #5 non c type 12 on eBay for $10+s/h, just needed a cleaning and a sharpening, not all done yet.

I used the "scary sharp" method which works awesome. It is thick glass (junk shop) with multiple successions of different grades of AO sandpaper until finely honed. The SP back is lightly sprayed with 3m super 77, then onto the glass, using a blade honing guide. If inteested in typing your plane, click this link:

could also study-up on tuning the plane, many older users never did this or knew about it. These days it is all over the 'net on how to do it, here is a good example, actually the best:
great luck in your woodwork!

Alex

Reply to
AAvK

I have a no.5 i bought at a flea market on our honey moon coupla years ago for $30. Since we had a "level 3" snow emergency here Thursday, work was cancelled, so i finally had time to restore the old plane. I sanded the base from 60 to 600grit (which took hours!), sanded the sides to 320 then polished, buffed, sharpened, painted and cleaned the whole thing. It looks and works like brand new! I discovered the chip breaker has "Stanley" markings and a patent date as "Dec 24 1867", the brass knob said "Bailey's" and "patented 1858" which is an earlier date than anything I've recently discovered googling. The adjusting lever also says "Stanley". This thing turned out so nice, i don't know if i can bring myself to put it back into service. Right now, it is sitting on a shelf on my desk looking all shiny and new. Good thing I have another one just like it but with no maker markings, i think i'll tune that one up and keep it in the shop to use! Good gloat, tune it up and make some shavings, grampa would be roud! --dave

Reply to
Dave Jackson

Thanks for the link!

just determined that I have a "Type 2" made 1869-1872. I've decided to "retire" this plane into my small collection of antique tools which are more for display (but can be used.) It just looks to good to keep in the shop now! --dave

Reply to
Dave Jackson

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 01:44:58 GMT, "BillyBob" calmly ranted:

In reality, it impairs angled use of said plane. :( I much prefer flatbottoms, TYVM.

  • * Humorous T-shirts Online
  • Norm's Got Strings * Wondrous Website Design
  • *
Larry Jaques

I think st james bay tool has handles for that....

Reply to
bridger