Is there a way to filter....

Is there a way to filter Crossposting using (ahem) OE I don't Necessarily want to block those NG directly. Oh yeah how about Wild Cards I seem to be doing something wrong It would help If I could Wildcard Block via some of the E-mail Address (I mean @Cumsuck is pretty obvious)
--
Young Carpenter

As David has posted repeatedly, set up nfilter. It can filter for any number of crosspostings. For example: * drop xref:*:*:*:*This filter will drop any posts with three or more newsgroups in the XRef line.
It works with OE.
Clint
is pretty obvious)

Does nfilter work with Mozilla, another web browser and and news and mail reader.
Clint Neufeld wrote:

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 22:21:27 +0000, Bill Thomas wrote:

Yes for new accounts. SAProxy/spamassassin will work for email accounts.
-Doug
It does not work on my PC. I have configured according the instructions in the postings of this newsgroup. The problem may relate to the use of a proxy server, which nfilter should not use and which I have to tell Mozilla to not use to access the news server. Does a way exist to determine if nfilter uses the proxy server? Does a way exist to tell it not to use the proxy server? Does this matter or should I look elsewhere for a solution?
Doug Winterburn wrote:

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 23:18:45 +0000, Bill Thomas wrote:

nfilter is a proxy server. Your news client should be configured to talk to nfilter rather than your nntp server. The host name for nfilter on your machine is localhost or 127.0.0.1. nfilter should then be configured to talk directly to your real nntp server.
If you currently have Mozilla configured to talk directly to your news server, there should be no problems in using nfilter if you follow the configuration instructions on the nfilter site.
-Doug
Doug Winterburn wrote:

Thanks Doug. Your reply inspired me to do the following configuration of Mozilla, which got it working:
Edit->Preferences->Advanced->Proxies and then add 127.0.0.1 to the "No Proxy for:" box.
It SAYS it works with Netscape and Agent. Doesn't say anything about other news apps, except to say it won't work with AOL.
I would suspect (based on what I know of how it works, which may well be flawed) that it will work fine with any news application that does a standard NNTP download. It acts as a proxy news server between your app and your ISP's news server. Basically, you configure nfilter to look to your news server, and your news app to point to "localhost" (net-geek for "my machine"). Simple as that! Then stick in the nfilters that David has been sending out, and you're good to go.
Clint
is pretty obvious)

FWIW, it works very well with OE ... just downloaded 170 messages, and not a single crossposted message in the bunch.
Thanks to David Leader and his tweaked to the max filter!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03