Is there a tool to control depth of hand drilling?

Without having a drill press is there an attachment you can put onto a hand drill to control the depth of the hole?
Also what are drill bits called that can create a cyclinder hole, for a CAM? So the bottom of the hole is flat. I assume there are drill bits for a hand drill that can do this?
Albert wrote:

To question 1: There is a depth stop collar for most drill bits that locks onto a spiral drill bit shaft (seen here: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page 617). I don't know if they work for Forstner bits.
For Question 2: The closest thing I know of is a Forstner bit (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page 615) or for larger holes, a saw tooth bit (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?pagep5 ). Both of those leave dimples on the bottom of the holes, which is not exactly what you specified.
-Nathan
Albert wrote:

There's the "bit of tape on the bit" bit, and stop collars are screwed onto bits to the desired depth, but this'll be a little tougher with the Forstner-type bits you should be looking into. And yes, they'll work in a hand drill. Drill slowly. Tom

Tim w

Yup - a piece of masking tape.

Forstner bits.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Albert wrote:

http://eagleamerica.com/product.asp?pn00%2D0026&bhcd2 66042796
Forstner Bits (flat bottom holes); stop collar (depth)

Yes and then there is this.
http://www.triton.com.au/product.php?id0
If you are looking for a depth stop for the Forstner bits you inquired about in your second question, Woodworker's Supply has a patented stop for such a bit. http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM 5-975
If you are looking for an efficient and non-marring depth stop for a standard twist drill, I use a short section of 3/4" wooden dowel in which I have drilled a hole through with the intended drill bit. After chucking the bit in the drill, adjust the depth of the drill bit in the chuck with the length of dowel and use it to "stop" the depth of the hole your drill. I have used this method extensively when drilling holes for shelving with shop-made drilling templates.
Good Luck,
Dennis Slabaugh, Hobbyist Woodworker www.woodworkinghobby.com