Is there a possibility of WoodRat classes in Canada through Lee Valley?

Dear Rob and all:
I'm addressing my thoughts to this newsgroup, since I can't think of another appropriate way of putting my thoughts to paper/screen. It will be a few more months before I take another seminar at Lee Valley Calgary, and have the opportunity to fill out an opinion form.
Quite some time ago I bought a WoodRat, which Lee Valley now stocks. While I am comfortable reading a manual and learning-by-doing, I've been really pleased by the quality of seminars held at Lee Valley, and would greatly appreciate learning in that environment. Woodrat classes _are_ held, but only in the UK, as far as I can determine ... is it possible that you'd consider WoodRat classes at Lee Valley stores?
Sincerely,
Dudley Storey

If I understand the woodworking classes at Lee Valley properly, demos are conducted by knowledgeable staff and customers. I guess classes will depend on such a person turning up and be willing to demonstrate some of what they know.
I'm not sure how Lee Valley Tools gets people to demonstrate, but I'd send an email directly to Robin and ask that a request for a Woodrat person be put up on the local office / store bulletin board or whatever they use to advertise for skills.
I sincerely hope the new (open in April) Toronto store has similar classes to the other stores as that is the only store within relatively easy reach for me to attend.
wrote in message

depend
they
Hi Dave -
It'll take a bit of time before we can get a schedule up and running in the new store.... but it shouldn't take too long....
There will be a special slate of seminars/courses set up for the Grand Opening... not sure exactly what it will be - but I know Konrad Sauer and Michael Fortune are two of 'em.....
Posted a reply to the "Woodrat" request under the other thread...
Cheers -
Rob
On 16/03/2006 10:26 AM, Robin Lee wrote:

You gonna start carrying Konrad's planes?

and
No - but I do have one on order..... :)
Cheers -
Rob (who'll be getting it at the end of April.....)

2 grand for a smoother, $ 4,000.00+ for a jointer plane??? Just the tool I need to build that $ 160,000.00 night stand, eh?
*shakes head in disbelief*

If you find cheap tools like that wanting, check this out http://www.holteyplanes.com/a1.htm http://www.holteyplanes.com/prices.htm Currency converter at the bottom for your convenience.
A fool and his money . . .
Glen
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Fifteen thousand dollars for a single plane. I know that every hobby has its high-end, but this is a bit over the top, no?
On 19/03/2006 12:35 PM, Robatoy wrote:

People pay a whole lot more than that for "art". At least with this, you could always amuse yourself by planing some wood if you got bored with looking at it.

Not bad if they offer free shipping ;)

Probably not, but it looks like it comes with a free plane sack. I guess that's so it feels a bit softer when SWMBO beats your skull in with it, and should keep most of the blood off it.
-Leuf

This reminds me of a chat I had with a guy that built high-end wood canoes. These were gorgeous works of art. I asked who would spend $10,000+ on a canoe and then paddle it in real conditions (Arrgh! a scratch!!!). He said most of his sales were to people who would never use a canoe. They were millionaire types who wanted the perfect art work for the cottage boat house.
I once visited a home like that and the woodworking shop was, well, different. You could eat off the floor! He had special cabinets to display all the ($$$) hand tools. His house was filled with high-end, purchased furniture. I couldn't see anything that I could identify as having been made by the owner. He'd probably buy one of these planes.
Mike

Hmmm -
How about... how much for a piece of Jewlery?? How much for a sunroof in the car? Aluminum rims? A big screen TV??? Sports tickets? A painting? 400 packs of cigarettes? A big V8 Hemi for city driving???
Check out what a high end tool will be worth after 5 years, or 10, or 30 .... not that it's meant to be an investment...
$2000 for a custom made plane isn't much if it's a tool you'll use for the rest of your life. My computer cost that much - and I don't expect it to last more than 5 years....and keep in mind you're paying for a skilled craftsmans time... $2000 would only buy 5 or 10 hours or so from a lawyer....
Not that the value's there for everyone....but I sure don't find the prices of high end tools to be bad value. Expensive - yes, but not bad value...
Cheers -
Rob

Like the friend I have with the expensive sports car who can't understand why I buy cheaper cars and expensive kayaks? You get what you want and what you're willing to pay for.

I'll agree fully. I'm not disparaging the quality. But on my budget, value is spelt Veritas :-)
Mike

... and for that, I'm sure Robin thanks you profoundly. His children don't have to go to school barefoot.

And he can buy high end tools! :o)

Yeah - but I don't own 'em.... the company does....
They'll be going on tour to the stores (as will our entire tool collection)... so really, they're "advertising" ....
We intend to rotate displays every 6-8 weeks.... and have a circulating museum....
Konrad's jointer will join a couple of Holteys, a Jamestown tool, some Bob Bakers, Wayne Andersons, Jim Leamy, a Bridge City .... and so on as part of a modern makers display...
Cheers -
Rob

Dang! But surely you'll use them now and then?

Speaking of Bridge City, when are you opening a store in Portland or Seattle? Oh, Please!

Hi -
That's a good suggestion - I'll pass it through to our Seminar co-ordinator!
Generally, the seminars vary from store-to-store, as we rely on local talent for the instructors... That way we can keep the seminar fees reasonable....not that we keep 'em of course.... it all goes to Charity anyway.
Cheers -
Rob