Is there a database of wood prices anywhere?

I have been using this horribly outdated software from Broderbound to design buildings because I can get a quantity report from it. For most of the stuff it even has general prices (although most of those are outdated too, but they can be changed).

Well, I was hoping I could find a price list of all types of wood, even just a rough estimate so that I can finish writing a plug-in for

3D and CAD software that will spit out quantities and the approximate price for those quantities. The software from Broderbound just ain't cutting it anymore.

I only need lumber sizes/prices for now by the way. 2×4s, 2×6s, 2×

8s, 2×10s, and 2×12s et cetera. No trim, pediment, concrete, brick, flooring, laminate, wallpaper and so forth for now. For those things I am going to create modules.

So does anyone know of anything along those lines? Lowe's, 84 Lumber, and Don's Lumber are getting REALLY tired of me sitting on the phone with them asking about all of their plank sizes and wood types.

Thanks!

Reply to
-Lost

A few months ago, I shopped for wood on line at Home Depot and Lowe's: you should be able to get prices there that will be good enough for your purpose.

Reply to
William Andersen

Response from "William Andersen" :

Interesting. I never thought to look online thinking that they would not have it online. And none of the places I called (including Lowe's) mentioned me being able to do it online.

Where exactly did you look?

At Home Depot the best I can find is decking materials and composites (risers, nosing, treads et cetera), not actual lumber sizes, prices, or descriptions even.

Lowe's is currently down for maintenance, but I will definitely check them out tomorrow.

Thanks for your help!

Reply to
-Lost

Home depot does have prices but you will have to go to the store finder first and select a local store. The online section does not carry lumber like you are looking for until you select a store. Then you can find the sizes and prices.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

You might want to take a look at

Not sure it's what you're looking for but it sounds like it may already do what you're trying to do.

Note that the electronic version includes software, not just a copy of the book.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Here's a link to a builder's supply place in Buffalo, NY with on-line prices:

Nova

Response from Dave :

Ah jeez, I am so dense sometimes. THANK YOU.

Reply to
-Lost

Response from "J. Clarke" :

Well, that was not EXACTLY what I was looking for, but it sure beats what I have found so far. I am getting it. Not the book though, just the download.

THANKS!

Reply to
-Lost

Response from Nova :

Nothing but great information from all of you. Awesome.

Reply to
-Lost

Call your local lumber yard and ask them to email or fax a price sheet. They won't bite you.

**
**

B A R R Y

Response from B A R R Y :

Shoot, I never thought of that either. Honestly I did not know you could do that.

THANK YOU!

Reply to
-Lost