Is there a better OSS for $598 than the Grizzly?

I'm guessing no, but I figured I'd ask. The Star or the MAX sanders would be nice, but I don't think I can budget the $2500 quite yet. When you step down into the $500 to $1000 range it looks like you get pretty much the same functionality, but the Grizzly is $300 cheaper than either.
JP **************** Still researching...
I'm guessing no, but I figured I'd ask. The Star or the MAX sanders would be nice, but I don't think I can budget the $2500 quite yet. When you step down into the $500 to $1000 range it looks like you get pretty much the same functionality, but the Grizzly is $300 cheaper than either Jet or Delta.
JP **************** Still researching...

The ShopFox is about the same price and you won't have the embarrassment of having grizzly green in your shop.
Yes, I am aware they're both from the same company.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net

Doesn't embarrass me at all! Better Griz green than no tools at all.
--
Nahmie
On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 23:21:19 -0400, "Norman D. Crow"

There may be something to that.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
I'd be happy with a Grizzly green 8" jointer. :-)

Huh? I PAINTED everything in my shop Griz Green, even my Jet, Delta, and PC stuff. Figured I would improve them :-)

You talking about an Oscillating Spindle Sander(OSS), or a wide Drum Sander? From the price range, must be drum, because the OSS can be had a lot cheaper than that, or am I missing something here?
--
Nahmie
On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 23:25:42 -0400, "Norman D. Crow"

I think the floor mount OSS is on sale right now at $510 (from $598 regular).
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net

Yep, you're right. I got confused when he threw out the $2500 price tag, figured he had to be getting up into the drum or wide belt sanders.
--
Nahmie
Jay Pique wrote:

Well of course there is. Why I gave less than three hunnert for my Boice-Crane and it also came with a story that it once belonged to a local pattermaker. On the down side I don't have the full complement of spindles but on the up side the spindles are all MT1 so I could have some made.

See now, this here is where the wheels come offa the choo-choo. *If* I were to become reeeeeeeeeeeal lucky (and I mean lucky enough to have to change my nick name to something like, well, Lucky) and I were to come across and find an old Master or an Oliver (yes Lisa) and I were able to get either for less than five hunnert dollars then that would be one thing.
Now. Let us examine the situation here. How much is a Delta ossificating splendiferous sandor or even a (gasp) Ryobi? I mean, aren't we talking way cheap? Why once there was a time when a wooddorker couldn't afford a ossificating splendiferous sandor or a planer in his/her shop onna 'count of there wasn't anything out there for less than a months pay, but I digress with my old timey talk here...
The real crux of the biscuit is, how often would/could/will you use this machine? Keep in mind that I know the answer. You really have to start there. In the end, most wooddorkers don't need a Top Of The Line (Insert Machine Name Here) for many machines other than a table saw, a band saw, a jointer and maybe a planer. You Mileage May Vary and you are invited to debate additional additions to the list but a ossificating splendiferous sandor isn't a daily use machine for 99% of the average wooddorker.
Now, having said all of that, you can trump the argument by countering with, "But I like nice things", in which case it all reverts back to your original question.

Not ever having owned a Grizzily (there is one at work I could look at/I haven't yet had to) I can't give first hand experience but from everything I have heard from real life owners I can't recount a single contrary remark about them. In fact I think it was viewed by all to be a Good Buy. The big top (25" X 25") is a definite plus.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?ItemNumber=G1071
UA100

Where would one look to find one of these? I've done a bunch of web searching, but no luck so far. I know I could get a benchtop model for a couple three hundred bucks new, but for $600 I can get cast iron floor model that (from what I've heard) is an excellent value.
If anyone knows of a Star, MAX, Oliver etc.. for sale under $1000, by all means let me know~!!!
JP ************ Pattern sanding.
Jay Pique wrote:

Local 'chinery dealers, eBay, going around asking and auctions.

As I was/tried to allude to, getting a Master or an Oliver (yes Lisa) for six hunnert would be cause to change your nick name.

That's the first step.
UA100, who did stop looking and everything pretty well dried up but is casually hunting a stroke sander...
Have you considered the Porter cable portable. I got one and mounted it onto a router table insert and swap it with my router in and out of the router table position. My router drops into the extension on my table saw. This gives me a lot of table and the only draw back I can see is it only goes up to 2" spindle. But I do gain the ability to take it to very large project that can not be put onto any table.
Eric Olsen