Is there a 1/2 collet trim router?

Wanting a smaller trim type router for hand held use around the shop with a

1/2" collet. The TR12 mainly stays in the router table, it being a 5 minute pain to remove, remove the plate, reinstall the old plate, change the bit, use it, remove the bit, put the old bit back, remove the plate, install the plate, reinsert into the table.

Alan

Reply to
A Womack

I'm not aware of a trim router with a 1/2" collet. You're probably looking at having to settle for a smaller, but full-sized router, like the DeWalt DW621, or the Porter-Cable 690 series. You may not have to remove the plate from your existing router to use it hand-held. Consider just leaving it on, and taking advantage of the larger base, with straight sides.

Reply to
Kevin Singleton

A Womack wrote in news:Xns958E24540A64arwomack01attnet@127.0.0.1:

If you want a trim router, because it's light and handy, then there are some good ones.

If you want a 1/2" collet, because you don't want to buy more router bits, that's OK, too.

I have the Porter Cable 310P, as well as the 7310. Both were improved substantially, from a safety and usability perspective, by purchasing Pat Warner's clear router bases, both round and offset.

So was the 690 that I have. Used with Pat's clear offset base, I used it to cut door hinge mortises last weekend, something that I normally would have used a trimmer for. The larger router base bridged the mortise more easily, and spun the larger bit I was using more easily as well. (large hinges, maple ply edge work.)

Lots of good router advice. No affiliation, etc. Just a happy, repeat customer of a bright fellow, who stops by here occaisionally.

Pat offers his experienced opinions of a wide range of routers there. Trust him.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

Have you considered the Milwaukee "Body Grip" router?

(Amazon - $169.99) It's fairly light and compact for a 2 1/4 hp 1/2" router and features comfortable one handed use. I've tried one and liked it but I don't own one so I can't offer much of an opinion on it.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

Lightest, not smallest, 1/2" router probably Bosch 1617 @ 7.7 pounds. Then DW 618 fixed base.