Is the Delta Hybrid really bad?

Page 1 of 2

I'm putting together my first workshop for doing crafts/furniture and I am in the process of researching table saws.
I saw a really good deal on the Delta Hybrid table saw with a biesemeyer fence (model 36-717) for about $600 (shipping is another $100). This seems like a really good deal. But I've seen a number of reviews in both directions on this saw (maybe the older reviews are more negative than the newer).
I'm looking for opinions about this from people that actually have experience with this saw one way or the other.
Also, are there any options in a similar price bracket that are as good or better?
Thans for your advice. Frank
Don't know about the Delta but I bought a Jet contractor saw with cast wings similar to this: http://tinyurl.com/pokbq with an extension table and the exacta fence at woodworker's warehouse a few years back for about $750. Very happy with this saw and only needed a 79 upgrade as described here: http://home.pacbell.net/jdismuk/jetfix.html
I know WW warehouse is closed now but I went in and showed them an ad from a website and they met the price. Whatever local place you have may do the same thing.
Amazon is offering 10 percent of until the 8th code="TOOLS10R"
Happy hunting!
That's a great price. I just got the 36-717 with the delta T2 fence for 719 including shipping from amazon.com. I've just used it a few times and am pretty satisfied. I still need to tweak the fence a bit, but the saw cuts like a hot knife thru butter.
Cap'n 321
Frank wrote:

Well it WAS a great price.
In the last few hours they raised the price by $300. :-/
I should have grabbed it while I could have instead of waffling.
You can get get deals on Amazon,but the can change the prices daily. Early Febuary is a good time to buy from them. Low prices and incentives (sometimes more than one discount on an item). I did OK this year buying from them.
I can second that. I also got the 36-715 (T2 version) and have had no significant problems. I have only had it a couple weeks, but the cuts have been flawless even with the stock blade.
Some on Amazon complain about problems, but keep in mind that people are more likely to report a review if they have had problems. I did not have the set up problems that others have mentioned. The arbor flange runout was .001" and the miter slot alignment was <.003" out of the box. The table was very flat, although I did have to shim one of the extension tables a little.
The only real negative part of the experience was the delivery. The driver wanted to set the saw crate at the end of my 250' driveway, stating he was only obligated to drop it off at the address. It took some coaxing to get him to let me use his palate dolly to pull the crate up to my garage. He smashed the crate getting it on the dolly and almost pushed the crate over the end of his lift before lowering it to the ground. If you don't have a way to get the crate to your workshop, consider paying extra for better delivery options.
-Steve

I lucked in to some good deals on machinery this year. Most of the good prices from Amazon. The best deal was a delta shaper, but the others weren't far behind. I have a lot of delta equipment and no problems so far that Delta parts didn't make good (cabinet saw guard suppled was for right tilt, mine is left tilt). My old cheap Delta 6' disk, 4" belt sander has had no problems ( after I cleaned all of the belt fibers out of the drive belt area) and was used mostly for metal work. If you're in a hurry to get a tool shipped Amazon might not be the place to shop ( I did buy a Bosch roto-cut tool that I needed for a job a week and a half away a by some miracle it was delivered by Fed-ex the day before I needed it.
I just look on Amazon, the 36-717 (Biesemeyer) saw is still going for 664.00. Pretty good considering I paid 719.00 for the 36-715 (T2). Better hurry.
-Steve

Nice catch Steve! They raised the price, then lowered it again... don't have any idea why. At any rate, I decided to push the button!
Oh well - its only money! :-)

I just looked and the 36-717 is back to 949.00. Hopefully you got the saw for the lower price.
Now the 36-715 is going for 559.00, also a great price. I have got to stop torturing myself checking saw prices.
=Steve
I did end up getting it for 649 - minus $64 for the TOOLS10R promotion (which ends today). ABF is supposed to deliver on Wednesday.
Hello to the group. From a frequent reader but infrequent poster.
Good catch. Is this normal for Amazon to do things like this? Meaning discount an item close to $350? I like good bargains, but when I see something like this (unless it's a closeout), my 'too good to be true' hinky feeling feelers start to go bonkers. I'm thinking of taking the saw I just bought back to buy one of these, but I keep asking myself what's the catch?
Cheers,
Dale
I bought the saw with the T2 fence in February from Amazon it was $649 to the door. The guys sat it in my garage with no problems. I am very pleased with the saw. There was one issue which was a cracked table insert, I called Delta and a nice lady asked a few questions mostly related to serial number and my address and they had one on my door step in 2 or 3 days no charge. In my opinion it is an excellent saw for a home owner / hobby wood worker, mine is very repeatable and makes a nice clean cut. It does everything I expected it to do. This is not a critical statement when I say the hybrid saw is not a cabinet saw .... many people that find fault with the saw seem to expect it to be a low cost cabinet saw. The hybrid is closer to a contractor saw than it is to a cabinet saw. Good luck and enjoy your new tool. Charlie

Charlie -- YES That's the impression I got. Everyone that seemed disappointed about this saw that I talked to personally gave me the impression that they felt gypped that it wasnt some kind of cheap unisaw. I didn't expect it to be so, just maybe half a notch above a contracter saw. At $1000, I probably wouldn't go for it, but for the $649 I just paid, I'm hoping that this is going to be the right purchase for me.
$649 is a good price.
My ending total after their current 10% discount on power tools and shipping was $697. I'm pretty happy about the price. Here's hoping that I'm going to be happy about the saw!
Hi Frank,
Very few people answered your question about the quality/opinions of the saw you want to buy.
I worked during WW shows on a few of those hybrid cabinet saws. All I can say is they performed as well as a contractor saw because... they are contractor table saw in the first place.
The only added benefit is the fact your get a cabinet and it's much better for dust collection (a bit quieter too). Aside from that, you won't get more benefits...
If you want a little bit more, you gotta upgrade to a "real" cabinet saw but that's another story...
Greg D.

Thats basically what I thought. I liked this saw for a couple of reasons tho. For the money ($600) I got an upgraded fence (biesemeyer) and the side table.
Also the motor seems *slightly* upgraded from Delta's typical contractor saws - this one is *supposedly* 1 3/4 horse as opposed to 1 or 1 1/2. I'm not sure whether the 1/4 horse difference would ever be noticeable tho.

Keep in mind that a Beis Fence costs about $300+, retail. Subtract that from the price you are paying and that may indicate the money you are spending for the saw. Its a $300 saw with a $300 fence.
Thats the retail price for the fence. The retail price for the saw is *much* higher (over 1K).
Fact is delta owns beismeiyer and their cost to offer it as a fence are probably no higher (or not too much higher) than their other fences.