Is spruce worth anything?

Yeah, I know, but I just had to point out that whitefish is a specific, and if you hear someone say it, you really don't know what they mean.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

The American Softwood Lumber Association has a "hem-fir" species group, typically Western hemlock and true fir. That group is a step up in strength from "SPF", but below Southern yellow pine (SYP) and Doug Fir (DF) Most of the Home Despot lumber in Suburban Wasington DC appears to be hem-fir.

Reply to
fredfighter

I got to thinking I don't recall that I've seen the generic labeling recently--maybe that disappeared w/ some of the fair marketing laws, I don't know...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

ARGGGGGGGGGGGG... you're making me crazy, George!!!! *lol* (well, crazier, anyway..)

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

damn.. this thread is an education!

Being named the "spruce goose", I naturally assumed (make an ass out of u & me) it was made of spruce...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

That's what I usually do... and Will believes me, too.. *eg*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Apparently Hughes thought about calling it the "Birch Bitch" but changed his mind...

;-)

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Spruce is decent stuff. The old growth spruce is real nice. Looks good, machines well. Doug Fir will last forever as exterior trim. Rabbit

Reply to
Joe Mama

It was never _named_ the spruce goose. Hughes always insisted on the "Hercules" or the HK-4 / H-4. The "spruce goose" was just a label cooked up by a newspaper and Hughes famously hated it.

In the recent film I think it's the corrupt Sen. Brewster who coins the term, but in reailty he didn't have the wit for this and just called it a "a flying lumberyard"

Reply to
Andy Dingley

i LIKE it!!!