Is spruce worth anything?

Page 3 of 3

I made a picnic table (painted), drill press stand, utility workbench, sawhorses, and a few other oddments. Not fine woodworking, but it's strong and does the job just fine!
- Owen -
toller wrote:

Luthiers use spruce, though they want straight-grained with closely spaced growth rings. The face of many stringed instruments, including most violins, are made from spruce. Most of the rest of a violin is made from hardwood, curly maple being a favorite, though some fir may be used in the interior.
--

FF

Howard Hughes build the "Spruce Goose" (largest plane in the world at the time) out of it because he said that it was very light and stronger than most light woods...
I've never heard of it having problems like sap leaking like pine or splintering like oak... never had any to play with, though...
I would guess that there are several types of spruce??
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

The Goose was primarily made of birch...
djb
On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 10:51:53 -0600, Dave Balderstone

damn.. this thread is an education!
Being named the "spruce goose", I naturally assumed (make an ass out of u & me) it was made of spruce...
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Apparently Hughes thought about calling it the "Birch Bitch" but changed his mind...
;-)
On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 13:40:11 -0600, Dave Balderstone

i LIKE it!!!
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 11:02:26 -0700, mac davis
It was never _named_ the spruce goose. Hughes always insisted on the "Hercules" or the HK-4 / H-4. The "spruce goose" was just a label cooked up by a newspaper and Hughes famously hated it.
In the recent film I think it's the corrupt Sen. Brewster who coins the term, but in reailty he didn't have the wit for this and just called it a "a flying lumberyard"

I have worked with both pine and spruce and they are very similar. I have use both on the same project, a Tack box, and it turned out really well. Same experience with a Saddle Rack.
I did find the spruce could split easily when nailing or screwing close to the ends, however a bit of care and the use of a pilot hole readily resolved that situation.
I'm sure you or another ww could find a good use for the spruce.
Dan
Spruce is decent stuff. The old growth spruce is real nice. Looks good, machines well. Doug Fir will last forever as exterior trim. Rabbit
Lon Marshall < snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net>