is red oak firewood always extra smoky

Page 1 of 3
i recall from a boat builder that red oak is actually white wood and white oak is redder wood
i also thought red oak smoked a lot more when burned i was considering getting some red oak firewaood but may pass on it
some places just say oak firewood for sale and no more
fyi boat builders i think like white oak more due to lower porosity

In my experience red oak has a reddish tinge to the wood colour, while white oak lacks the red and is more brown. You can see photos of the woods if you Google.
I am certain that boat builders do not like red oak because it will turn black when it gets soaked especially around fasteners, as they react with the tannin in the wood.
Regarding smoke, I have no idea. Firewood sellers probably don't know nor care about the differences. For firewood, the heavier the wood, more heat is released by the wood. This is why high density woods are prized for burning and are often more expensive.
On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 15:14:27 -0500

i saw a boat builder video comparing the two oaks porosity
to my eye the white oak looked reddish but maybe it was brown
the red oak looked lighter colored

according the video it was all about porosity the red oak soaked water like a sponge

i find that some seem to know and some do not
On 01/13/2016 3:32 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

Why don't you just do as you suggest I do and go look (altho on that discussion I _have_ looked and can't find what you claim is so :( )...
<http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/distinguishing-red-oak-from-white-oak/

If they're only cutting firewood, they really don't care and there's a good chance there are other hardwoods in the mix as well (and who know, they may try to slip in a little SYP if the customer doesn't know better). All in all, you don't really care as it makes hardly a whit of difference for virtually all excepting for a very few such as poplar and avoiding a _lot_ of pine owing to the pitch (altho if you burn it with some dry hardwood, it'll burn hot enough that creosoting isn't much of a real problem In VA and TN we burned quite a lot of all with simply some care to spread the pine out some).
If they're older woods kinda' guys they'll know from the bark and the wood 'cuz they'll just know one from another; if they're just a bunch of kids or hacks cutting wood for a few bucks they may have no klew what _any_ tree actually is, only if it's lost its leaves or not in the winter time.

I have some fire wood that I'm picking out bolts to re-saw into small boards. I've never seen it before.
Curly oak. I've seen maple but in oak - can't wait till I get a board...
Some of the wood is very active in the waves of wood bulge out the side...
Wow!
Any oak users see any ?
Martin
On 1/13/2016 4:07 PM, dpb wrote:

On Thu, 14 Jan 2016 23:32:58 -0600, Martin Eastburn

cut at an angle a lot of the pattern dissapears, so I'd suspect that piece of lumber came from a tree with, among other things, a bit of a twist in the trunk in the area the log was cut from.
On 01/14/2016 11:32 PM, Martin Eastburn wrote:

See enough wood and you'll eventually see most everything... :)
Are you perhaps talking of burls here, though with the "wood bulge out the side" description?
I've seen some "curly" grain in oak, yes, altho in white oak rather than red; otomh I can't recall any in red as it's so ring-porous not sure it'd ever be altho faint possibility I suppose if it were quartersawn. In rift of flatsawn don't think it'd ever be other than perhaps in some knotwood. That, of course, is where it shows up mostly in the white oak is around included branches and the like...

I have bold after bolt of this strong figure. The waves have maybe 1" or 1.5" wave lengths. Running up/down the tree.
All I can figure is either there is far more than what I have found or it is a section of the tree that took the rotation of the head of the branches - the rotational twisting might cause it to sink or shorten as it pops grain and it regrows to cover over most and strengthen better. That is what I think.
Martin
On 1/15/2016 8:27 AM, dpb wrote:

On 01/15/2016 9:16 PM, Martin Eastburn wrote:

Interesting. Would be neat to see some pichurs if you're so inclined to post some somewhere.

I'll try to come up with a good open place for all to see. I'm hoping to re-saw some to make a small box or something neat. A clipboard or something.
Martin
On 1/15/2016 9:52 PM, dpb wrote:

On 1/13/2016 3:32 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

This is tree and why wine and whisky barrels are made from white oak. Old sailing ships were made from white oak.

On 01/13/2016 01:47 PM, Leon wrote:

New sailing ships too: http://sdmaritime.org/visit/the-ships/san-salvador/
I have some offcuts from this ship that I'm using to make a segmented salad bowl...
...Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska
On 1/13/2016 4:32 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

You sir, typically fall into the latter category.
--
-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net

White oak will do the same and boatbuilders love it for some purposes.

On 01/13/2016 4:33 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

Equivalently dry, white oak will have only about 10% more heating value than red oak, mostly owing to the white oak is roughly 5-7% more dense.
As for smoke, again, if they're dry there will be no discernible difference to worry about.
As for color, the reason red oak is called "red" is....
There's variability owing to particular subspecies and growth location (minerals content in soil can make significant difference, for example) so there are individual trees that will be lighter and basically mimic a white oak in color but as a general rule they are definitely pinkish to occasionally quite dark.
The prime difference between the two is the porosity and resistance to decay; red oak will rot quite rapidly in comparison to white and is so ring porous as to be useless for coopering or boatbuilding from that standpoint. White oak, otoh, is the cat's meow for wine casks and many other similar uses...

On 1/13/2016 5:33 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

I don't know how boat building and burning wood for heat are connected, but it makes no difference.
Red oak burns just fine. It is abundant around here and I've burned many cords of it. If I had a boat built with it I'd probably burn that too as the wood it too porous for water use. Red oak is good for cooking too, either in a fire pit or smoker.
On 1/13/2016 5:33 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

saw some workers outside a wood flooring shop barbecuing steaks over some oak flooring cutoffs.
On 1/13/2016 4:27 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:

Got'a love that prefinished stained wood flavor. ;~) Hopefully they were working with unfinished wood. LOL
On 1/13/2016 5:51 PM, Leon wrote:

It certainly looked like regular 3/4" t&g oak, unstained. Smelled tasty too.
On 1/13/2016 4:33 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

Nope! Red Oak has a pinkish cast when sanded. White Oak has a light brown cast and when sanded.

It will if wet.