Is my bandsaw blade screwed up?

To the best of my knowledge, bandsaws cut with a downward motion and the points of the blade should point that way too. I have a blade that looks like the points are upside down with a relatively flat (very small angle) at the top of each tooth and a sharp angle from the bottom to the point. Is this ever correct or do I have a blade that was manufactured wrong? TIA Norm
Norm Dresner wrote:

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

| To the best of my knowledge, bandsaws cut with a downward motion and the | points of the blade should point that way too. I have a blade that looks | like the points are upside down with a relatively flat (very small angle) at | the top of each tooth and a sharp angle from the bottom to the point. Is | this ever correct or do I have a blade that was manufactured wrong? | TIA | Norm
Many thanks to the people who wrote in to tell me that the blade was inside-out. Once I flipped it, it was perfect!
Once again, proving the power of the web.
Norm
On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 16:19:22 +0000, Norm Dresner wrote:

I've been working part time at the local Woodcraft. Don't feel alone - you'd be surprised how many times we get that question :-).
--
It's turtles, all the way down

And they don't cut very well if the teeth are pointing up.. DAMHIKT
Also, gloves ARE recommended for handling the blades, especially when uncoiling them or turning them right-side-out..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 10:32:33 -0800, mac davis wrote:

Nicely polished kerf though.

You hold them while uncoiling? I thought throwing them on the lawn was the approved technique?

Strange enough the shorter blades can eat you if you are not careful, and tossing them in the yard is a safe method. Longer blades, mine is 150" long, are very easily opened and closed while holding them with 2 hands.

basically a sharp chain would carry a log through a right and left bandmill, cutting a slab from either side, leaving a two sided cant to pass through a gang saw.
The bandsaws were sharpened in house and the sawfilers would occasionally have to turn one of these bands inside out to use on the other side of the mill. These bands were 6 inches wide, 20 feet or so long and the filers made it look easy and as far as I know no one was ever hurt in the process. Scary stuff with that much spring steel moving all at once.
basilisk

m>
You like big blades? Try this
http://www.garymkatz.com/OnTheRoad/hull_oaks.html
Nahmie
"Nahmie" wrote

Finally ... a band saw blade bigger'n Leon's!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Man. Had I been a few hours earlier I could have answered this for you from experience. The shop next door has a band saw and the guy comes over to us two days ago and says, "Hey... This blade was manufactured backwards!"
It took us a few seconds to "fix" his blade and we didn't let him see how we did it. He walked away 10 minutes later all confused at our magic trick. :)
Apparently, when they coil them up for shipment, it is either easy to flip them or someone does it as a prank...
Glad you got yours fixed.
Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022 01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills: http://www.AutoDrill.com Multiple Spindle Drills: http://www.Multi-Drill.com Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com
V8013-R

Trick for upside down and backwards (not as radical as the radial arm saw guy) bandsaw blades or just backwards.
To get the look of rough cut cedar mill your lumber as you wood for any project and dry fit all of the parts. Guide the faces of the cedar that you want to look rough cut at an angle past the upside down and backwards bandsaw blade. I guess you could liken it to a big rasp that you use whatever pressure you need against it to get the desired look.
Robb