Is lying about the reason for a war an impeachable offense?

Page 1 of 13
It sure is.
Is lying about the reason for a war an impeachable offense? By John W. Dean, *former counsel to President Nixon*
http://www.cnn.com/2003/LAW/06/06/findlaw.analysis.dean.wmd /
On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 15:25:34 -0700, ModerateLeft wrote:

Remember, W frequently said Saddam was a "clear danger" to the US. I watched carefully, and never saw him use the phrase "clear and present danger." If he had, he'd be impeachable. The administration knew they were selling a bill of goods, so they knew better than to use the second phrase.
--
"Keep your ass behind you"

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 18:20:25 -0500, Australopithecus scobis

Not half as much offensive as posting this useless crap in a woodworking newsgroup.
Bill.
On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 19:38:13 -0400, Bill Rogers wrote:

Just turn on a filter. Searching for '^OT' works well. OTOH, think of it as BSing around the cracker barrel. If your newsreader supports scores, you can hide the OT posts without zapping them; then when you're in the mood for some persiflage, the OTs are still there for your enjoyment.
Anyway, it's Usenet.
--
"Keep your ass behind you"

"Australopithecus scobis" wrote in message ...

Not with this post - it didn't have OT in the subject.

Perhaps. But this is *our* cracker barrel, and who the heck is this one-time-wonder poster who introduces himself with a political thread in a WW group? Why is his nick "ModerateLeft" instead of "Splinter"?

This is political crap and is anything but persiflage (Light good-natured talk; banter.).

You say that like it's an excuse to be intrusive and rude.
Having said all that, I wouldn't have minded so much if the person was a regular, and was in fact just BS'ing. Fact is, someone wandered in, pissed his politics, and waddled out again. Probably a 1.5 on the troll scale.
cheers,
Greg

Unfortunately, this thread is not marked as "OT" and doesn't include many of the most common words that those not wanting politics with their woodworking would normally filter on. I guess if your filter was left over from the Clinton years you might still have "impeac*" in your filter and I guess some might have "war" in the filter, but otherwise this thread wouldn't get caught by most filters. By the same token, the delete key still works.
Dave Hall
I guess a little common sense would do wonders for your out look. But I guess your brain is set in Democrat mode.

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (ModerateLeft) wrote:

If it is, then we had *another* reason to impeach Clinton, and also John Kerry, Teddy Kennedy, Tom Daschle, Madeleine Albright, Joe Lieberman, Dianne Feinstein, Barbara Mikulski, Bob Graham, Tom Lantos, Sandy Berger, Barbara Boxer, Robert Byrd, and many others, all of whom said _exactly_ the same things about Saddam and Iraq that GWB did. http://www.rightwingnews.com/quotes/demsonwmds.php

Good post, and I agree with much of it. However, Kerry has no chance. This will not be a close election, certainly nothing like the last one. BTW Kerry's campaign has been in a constant state of change and it isn't working.
dwhite
snipped-for-privacy@hotpotato.com says... [...]

[...]
And it doesn't bother you that Bush was in the national guard for the same reasons? And that daddy used his influence to allow him to leapfrog NG waiting lists to pull it off?
It's true that he does deserve some measure of credit for making it through flight school, but for anyone that's ever been through the process, there's flight school and there's VIP flight school. The latter is all about the VIP saving face, keeping him alive, being available for photo ops, and passing him on to the next level of training responsibility at the earliest opportunity. I don't know enough about Bush's record to say whether or not this is true in his case (although he would be a prototypical candidate for such treatment) - heck, he might have been a great pilot - but then again, so might have Kerry had he decided on that particular flavor of evasion.
Kerry's emphasis on "serving" is pretty gross - bordering on being as ludicrous as Bush's visit to the aircraft carrier wearing a flight suit. I think it was an unfortunate question of percieved political expediency in reaction to the public's perception that he wouldn't be "tough on terror."
But I agree with the majority of your post. It's definitely "pick your poison" time. I'd have been inclined to go with McCain too had he decided to run, but more as a reward for what he suffered in Viet Nam than anything else. That seems as valid a reason as any in today's political climate.
- Al
"Al Spohn" wrote in message

Apples and oranges (or donkeys and elephants?). Last I heard it was required by regulation to wear a flight suit in that type of aircraft ... at least it was the only time I had the pleasure.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

Yeah, I guess that's probably still the case now that you mention it. I think that he did jump into his Washington suit later on, too. All the VIPs we flew with in the AF had to wear flight suits too, and they all seemed to relish the swagger opportunity.
- Al
"Al Spohn" wrote in message

I can personally attest to the fact that the "swagger" is already built into the flight suit.
AAMOF, it's sorta the same feeling when you put your hat back on in front of the crowd after riding your first bull, or throwing your first successful heel rope. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

I agree, only I was only afforded a semi-swagger since I was a navigator :-)
- Al

required
it
By God, if I ever got to fly in a AF jet, I'd want a flight suit, too. But you know, I never thought about it before...what else should he have been wearing? Maybe Air Force One should have been fitted with a hook so that it could just land on the carrier. I suppose the President should have just worn a business suit.
todd
I believe that a helicopter rather than a fighter jet is the "normal" means of transportation in this sort of case.
Renata

Not only is is "normal", apparently no other sitting president has ever done a tailhook landing on a carrier. But what fun is there in riding in a helicopter? What kind of pansy, given the choice to fly in a helicopter of a jet fighter, opts for helo? FWIW, the Navy said it was more comfortable with a jet landing as it afforded the opportunity to eject in case of a problem. Personally, it wouldn't matter either way to me. I'll even stipulate that it was partly political. Even so, so what? Any president is a politician, so it's not surprising that some of what they do is political.
todd

says...

Considering the tax payer dollars that go into keeping a president alive (this was reinforced for me after witnessing Bush's urban assault caravan scream through Rochester, MN yesterday,) it's ludicrous that any standing president would travel to an aircraft carrier during time of war regardless of the means of transport. I don't hold this against Bush, though - political creatures that they are, I think any president would have taken advantage of the opportunity. However, I would stipulate that it was blatantly political - again, a motivation easily within the comfort zone of any politician.
- Al

Ahhhhhh. The answer nears you, grasshoppa.

Remember the Thanksgiving (or was it Christmas?) fly in to Bagdad with the plastic turkey? Remember the mountain bike "incident" of this past summer?
What you folks fail to see is that there's one person who'll gain by these acts of wanton disregard for presidential safety. Who do you think put w. up to such stunts? Fer God sake... flying onto an aircraft carrier in a fighter... or dropping into a hostile country during a war... or skiddering over jagged rocks and cliffs on a bicycle...
It's CHENEY I tell ya. It's Cheney. He's trying to bump w. off so's he can swivel in the oval office for a change without worrying that dweeb for a boss'll catch 'im. Dick knows that he should rightly be president, not that apron-string mammas boy who likes to play cowboy. And, afterall, the ticker's not what it used to be - God only knows how much time dick has left. He's gotta take matters into his own hands.
(Speaking of taking matters into his own hands, do you think w., dick, condi, donny, et.al. take a look under the desk in there and get all "stimulated" by the goings on that took place right under there? It's enough to scare you into wanting to make a law against such acts of depravity. Amend the Constitution! Enact the Defense of Missionary Position Amendment.)