Is it worth a career change?

Page 4 of 4
Excellent responses folks. Thank you very much. On a related note, I was in Plano, Texas on a business trip last week (in fact I'll be in Plano till Dec 22), so I went up to Curly Woods in McKinney (http://www.curlywoods.com /) and man-oh-man was I impressed. That's the kind of business I now want .... but I hung around on for about 45 minutes chatting with the owner on Saturday morning (a time I'd expect to be busy) and there was only 2 customers that actually purchased anything. One paid $47, the other I'm not sure but I'd guess $150. At that rate I don't see how he pays the rent!
BTW, this place really has much better wood and more species than the places I shop in Colorado: Diverse Hardwoods in Longmont, Paxton's in Denver, and Sears Trostel in Fort Collins. I think Curly Woods really specializes in extremely high end quality woods - of course the prices reflect that.
Never Enough Money wrote:

I too have been to Curley Woods once, on a Saturday morning. Again 2 customers and I was one of them in 45 minutes. I don't see how he keeps the doors open either. He does have a web site so I suspect internet sales help.

If ever in Houston, look at Clarks/Hardwood Lumber. Probably 5 times more variety and 50 times more quantity than Curley Woods. Really a cool place that you could spend most of a day looking through the 3 large buildings.