Is it worth a career change?

Page 2 of 4
Never Enough Money wrote:

We need a strong 3rd Political party in the US.
Imagine... Republicans, Democrats, and Woodcrats!
Sorry... <G>
> Does anyone have any idea how much I

If you're really serious about this, request the franchisee information information via Woodcraft's web page. After you get and digest the information, if you're still interested, you may be able to contact some distant franchisees.
There should be CPA's and lawyers local to you who specialize in small business matters, some with great experience working with franchises, who can be money in the bank when researching the business. They can help you formulate questions and possibly clarify data provided by Woodcraft HQ. Good franchises can give you a great boost and take some of the risk out of starting up, but you'll pay (possibly a lot) for the service.
The most successful Woodcraft store in my area, Manchester, CT, is attached to a well run woodworking school. Both the school and the store have shown good signs of growth and development over the last 4-5 years they've been open, which is an excellent sign. The store occupies an excellent, easy to find and travel to location.
One important point to remember is that in the end, Woodcraft is a retail store. You'll be hiring, managing, and selling, not woodworking. Retail is retail, regardless of what you're selling, and some background in supervision, store management, customer service, and merchandising will help a great deal toward your success.
Any retail store involves lots of menial labor like cleaning, dusting, arranging items. Finding the right staff and keeping them excited and engaged is very important, as store order and cleanliness and staff attentiveness counts for so much in a walk-in retail operation. Nothing eats profits like a dusty, messy store and rude, inattentive employees.
If you're not in retail now, remember that many of the important times you should be in the store might be the same time that you now spend with family. Some people LOVE running retail stores, others can't stand it.
I know some very successful retailers well, so if you honestly think it's for you, go for it!
Good luck!
B A R R Y wrote:

[snip]
Yep, the Woodcrat party would be nice. Their platform could include: Tools in every garage. Encouraging splinter groups. Board, not boring. Go with the grain. Use domestic hardwoods first, use foreign exotics only if they enter legally. Oil for tools. Make the playing field level with a planer. No Child left behind a table saw. Tool stamps, instead of food stamps.
Never Enough Money wrote:

If you came up with those on short notice, I'd forget the woody store and concentrate on the writing. You have a flair.
Or, run for office. If that's your platform, I'll vote for you - you couldn't do much worse!
Career changes are based on three factors - money, quality of life and satisfaction. Please note that they are as close to being mutually exclusive as you want them to be.

What would the Woodcrat party's platform planks be?
-- Mark

The "Build Your Own" platform, of course.
"Sawdust in every pot"
Vote for Old Hickory
All problems are nails since everyone owns a hammer.
The official Party drink is the screwdriver.
That should get the thread started.......
Roy

B A R R Y wrote:

I'd ask myself this question: If I take woodworking out of the equation, would I still be enthuastic about the idea of opening a retail business?
If you answer yes to that, then you'd really have to ask: What kinds of retail businesses are likely to be sucessful?
I imagine that there are _many_ types of businesses that would come before a woodworking store on that list.
I know that I'd love to spend my 8hrs. a day in a woodworking store. I'd really like working with the people that I'd be likely to meet. And it would be great to be a part of one of those really cool stores. In other words, there are many 'emotional' reasons to want to do it, but how many 'good business decision' reasons are there?
Sorry to be a kill-joy - I've spent my fair share of time daydreaming about similar things.
Mike

Hee,hee...
You said "8 hours" and "store", in the context of running a business, same sentence. <G>
The co-owner of my airplane is the co-owner of a bicycle shop that's in the top 10 of the industry's "Top 100" bicycle shop list... 8 hour day... I'll tell him that! And he's got a partner and 16 full-time employees!

I thought the same thing. More likely you might get to spend 8 hours a day NOT working at the store after a couple of years getting everything in order and working smoothly ;-)
Dave Hall

Especially since nowadays, most retail operations are 7 day a week, only closed on 5 or so holiday operations.
My buddy and his partner bought a 40 year old, 3-employee bicycle shop in early 1997. They now have 16 year-round, and about another 10 seasonal employees, including (8) front door key-holders and two dept. managers. Only now, have they gotten _down_ to 55 hours each, during the ~ 8 month season, and maybe 45 for the other months.
In 2000, they bought the four story Main Street building that houses the shop. They've now grown it into a business that sells the cheapest kid's tricycle, alongside $10,000 custom Serrotas and Calfees with the same emphasis on customer service.
They do very well, but they certainly earn it! <G>
I know someone else, complete with a "40-hour" mentality who owns a retail radio control model shop (1 part-time employee, zero yearly growth, closed Sundays) who simply owns a "job", not a "business". We always kid him that the existence of the shop is simply to stop his well-employed wife from making him actually work!

My goodness, Barry.. that hit a little too close to home here..<G>.. at least I that started out that way back in Sept 2003. But business has not let up...and I am at a cross-roads whether to grow again or not...
(Of course it helps to have a mafia-like mentality with the market sewn-up with the suppliers and rigid enforcers milking all the poor old ladies in the area. Bwhahahahahaha)

His business is retail hobby store that is open from 1p-4p and 6p-8p weekdays, and is closed Saturday mornings and Sunday.
Note that the shop is closed during lunch, PM drive time, and weekend times, where a hobbyist might actually drop by to buy something. <G>------

If the store wasn't open in the evening, I'd think it was located in Fort Wayne, IN. Most of the places I want to go aren't open during the time of day when I'm able to go anywhere, that is the evening.
Puckdropper

B A R R Y wrote:

That would be 8 hours before lunch. And 8 hours afterward.
I used to manage a Dominos Pizza store. The only day I actually spent 8 hours there was Christmas day ... when we were closed.
Bill
--
We should all be obliged to appear before a board every five years and
justify our existence...on pain of liquidation.

Interesting. My wife thinks I should do the same. But I keep hoping to write the next PKZIP instead. ;-) Then I could buy a store & not have to share it with anyone...
IIRC the Small Business Administration (SBA) has a program where retired business execs talk to and perhaps mentor those wanting to start a small business. I talked with a couple of them about 8 years ago when I attempted a small business. I suggest you look them up as a source of possible good advice.
Good Luck!
-- Mark
On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 20:40:06 GMT, "Mark Jerde"

Do you mean SCORE (Service Corps of Retired Executives)?
If not, add them to the resource list.

Yup. SCORE one for B A R R Y !
-- Mark
Mark Jerde wrote:

Mark ... move Quicken to Linux. I'll buy the first copy.
Bill
--

Never again clutter your days or nights with so many menial and
unimportant things that you have no time to accept a real challenge when

Very interesting! I've been making notes about desireable features of a "Financial Package" for 15 years or so. My wife and I have different ways of looking at finances and a program that satisfied us both would be useable by practically anyone. ;-) Maybe I should actually write some code...
-- Mark
On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 01:24:43 GMT, Mark Jerde wrote:

http://www.gnuash.org
--
Art Greenberg
artg at eclipse dot net