Is it safe to burn...

MDF...
I have lots of small pieces of oak veneered MDF left over from my latest project. I usually take all my scrap wood to the local dump.
My other half has recently purchased a brazier on eBay and wants to try it out. So, my question is, is it safe to burn MDF. Not knowing what it's made from, I wasn't sure it it would give of any nasty fumes....
Thanks in advance...
Graham
On Sun, 2 Apr 2006 23:19:55 +0100, "Graham Walters"

NO!
Especially with food over it!
No, no, no, no, no... <G>
Not plywood, either.

Brazier is a metal working term, not a food term... :~) I was thinking Bra before looking it up. LOL
Not strictly true. While Wikipedia is not the ultimate authority, please see here; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazier

On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 22:49:34 GMT, "Leon"

I'm thinking DQ! <G>
I still wouldn't burn MDF in it.

Charcoal in a pan, same-o.
Nothing more unsafe about _burning_ mdf than allowing slow oxidation in the dump. Problem comes with incomplete burning, where the gases generated are not hot enough or confined long enough to burn. In a "roaring" fire, sure. In a controlled charcoal situation, stay upwind as Leon says.
George wrote:

I disagree.
There is a big difference in the concentrations in the air OP will be breathing as it oxidizes.
--

FF

Not a "big picture " guy, are you, Fred?
George wrote:

Oh, I am. But I don't believe in ignoring the little picture either.
--

FF

Decomposition at the dump is anerobic. At the end of the day they bury the stuff under clay.
I'm no chemist, but I don't think I'd even consider using mdf for cooking.

Maybe they are not in California Dave. :~)
With all the resins in it I would certainly want to be UP WIND when burning it.

In most places in CA, they banned charcoal starter years ago... now, if they'd just do something about those damn leaf blowers.. *g* Mac

If you're burning garbage, sure. I wouldn't use it for roasting marshmallows.
Not in my neighborhood! The Urea glue used to bind the sawdust gives off an alphabet of toxic gases. Formaldehyde, CO, Furol, etc. Bugs

[...]
Blimey. listen to these americans! The biggest polluters in the world worrying about a few scraps of MDF.
Get back in your SUVs guys and turn the aircon up full.
Tim w
Tim W wrote:

Not all of use fit that stereotype.
I dont' think I'd want that stuff burning under anything I'd want to eat. It kinda gives a new twist on stick to your ribs...
As for the US being the biggest polluters in the world...Nice trolling there chief....err...bloke.

Actually we're not........Our air, water and soil are far cleaner than many or most other parts of the world......check out Mexico city etc. etc......Oddly we get a "bad" rap for our world energy use percentage but it simply coincides with our overall production or GNP. If you provide 25% of the worlds production you pretty much use 25% of the energy......Rod
Rod & Betty Jo wrote:

But are you taking into account the pollution resulting from the manufacture of products for importation into the US from places like Mexico and China?
--

FF

only if you like your food poisoned. Chas