Is it safe

Hai there,
I have plans to order some furniture from Indonesia and i would like to pack the furniture in plastic which will be on top of the single face carbon paper and store the furniture in my ware house and keep it in the plastic for a while.
I wonder if packing in plasti9c and transporting it in a hot container for 4 weeks to Europe if it could harm the furniture such as the finishing?
I would appriciate if anybody could advice me.
THanks,
Albert
My take would be that unless you are shrink wrapping the furniture the plastic would be the least of probable problems. Other then the fact furniture gets shipped from Asia to all over the world all the time with little problem that I know of there are too many variables, wood, glue, climate changes, fasteners, joinery, etc. to say yours would fair well or not..
--
Mike G.
Heirloom Woods
Albert wrote:
Group: rec.woodworking Date: Sun, Oct 5, 2003, 10:44pm (EDT+6) From: snipped-for-privacy@muurkrant.com (Albert) Hai there, I have plans to order some furniture from Indonesia and i would like to pack the furniture in plastic which will be on top of the single face carbon paper and store the furniture in my ware house and keep it in the plastic for a while. I wonder if packing in plasti9c and transporting it in a hot container for 4 weeks to Europe if it could harm the furniture such as the finishing? I would appriciate if anybody could advice me. THanks, Albert **************************************************** Sorry I can't advise you on your question but I would like to suggest that you consider the possiblitiy of the wood containing boring insects or their eggs. Perhaps you would want to have them fumigated which can be done by a local exterminating company. I speak from experience since I encountered a problem from wood I ordered from Mexico. Peace ~ Sir Edgar
DEar Sir,
Fumugation will be used standard, it is not allowed anymore to export without fumigation.
Thanks,
Mr. Albert
Sir Edgar schreef:

Yes (a recent post). You may find that the plastic wrapping and the finish have become permanently attached. Use a paper layer beneath, especially on corners (but not old newspapers !)
Between the carbon paer and the furniture they put foam on it. Which is nice soft material which will not scratch the furniture. Putting paper on the finishing, I don't tink that is a good idea. Because of all the print inkt on the paper. Especially with new newspapers. Sorry but I think you are fooling around with me.
The carbon paper and the
Andy Dingley schreef:

It should be OK, but you don't say what type of plastic. There are thousands of varieties. Styrene based plastics are stable to about 190 degrees and use for all sorts of protective packaging, including furniture. Some vinyl materials can outgas and discolor things. Ed
Evening Albert:
Please excuse a really STUPID QUESTION. "Why would you want to use CARBON paper instead of a brown packing paper that is plastic coated on one side, or some other clean paper that has NO ink on it?"
"Just an OLD man's inquiring mind wanting to understand."
The Other Bruce
wrote in message

Because it also need to absorb when you bumb into something and with stuffing. You have no protection any more with just paper.
Bruce schreef:

Plastic with air bubbles in it maybe? I do not know yet what they have.