Is it ok to do this?

x-no-archive:yes

I have a plan for a 4 foot tall 3 foot wide or so bookshelf. I have alot of rough cut oak. ALot of it is 2.5 inches wide but I also have boards from 6 inches to 9 inches wide.

The plan calls for plywood. WOuld it be acceptable and look right to use my solid wood instead, making boards out of glued up strips as I talked about earlier or will this not look right?

Reply to
stryped

As long as there aren't any wood movement traps involve (and there shouldn't be on a bookcase) real wood is always nicer than ply. Why do you ask, what issues do you see?

Reply to
Toller

x-no-archive:yes

As you said worried about wood movement and the thing breaking apart.

Also, be> As long as there aren't any wood movement traps involve (and there shouldn't

Reply to
stryped

Typically bookcases all have the grain running parallel, so wood movement is not an issue. But if you are going to do any woodworking at all, wood movement is something you have to master, so you might was well do it now. BTW if your house is humidified in the winter and airconditioned in the summer, there isn't that much of an issue. I deliberately built some drawers the wrong way 2 years ago because the grain looked so much better; I figured that if they bound I could sand them down, but they didn't change at all.

Getting the wood to match so it looks good is always an issue; but the worst job will probably look better than ply.

Reply to
Toller