Is It Me Or My Dado Blade?

Of course, as soon as I click the "Payment" button at Amazon, someone in this group will post a link to a better dado set at a lower price. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

There would be countless uses with a good dado set and having a good dado set would give you the confidence, knowing that you will get food grooves a dados, to perhaps tackle more complex projects.

Reply to
Leon

On 1/28/2015 6:59 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote: Snip

That looks great.

Reply to
Leon

Keep in mind that some of the stacked dado sets have chippers that sometimes cut deeper and or shallower. This can happen if the arbor holes are close to a perfect on the arbor. The result is about as bad as using a wobble blade.

AND should you have the dado set sharpened you want all to be ground to the same diameter. Blades get a little bit shorter each time you sharpen them and this will really show up on a stacked set. I don't think you will every be sorry buying a quality dado set.

Reply to
Leon

Thanks...just don't look too close at the tenons. They have the offending shoulder caused by the wobble blade.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to order the DeWalt dado set from Amazon for $117. Much better then what I have now but it won't break the bank based on the about of work it will see.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

The steps can be a result of the hole in the chipper not being close to an exact fit on the arbor or if the set was not sharpened as a set. Some chippers teeth could be longer or shorter.

My Forrest Dado King leaves ever so slight bat ears, I have not had any issue with that.

Reply to
Leon

If that 20% coupon works on any thing you could get top of the line for about $100 more for a 6" set and never look back.

Leon

ing

I quote from the Amazon page for the DeWalt Dado set:

"This Item is Included in Our DEWALT Accessories Promotion. From January 5, 2015, through March 31, 2015, you can get 10% off at checkout when you spe nd $25 or more on select DEWALT accessories shipped and sold by Amazon.com, or 20% off a purchase of $50 or more."

The promo is for DeWalt stuff only.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

They weren't sharpened after purchase. I tried to get across to the guy at Freud that there must be an imperfection in a blade but all he seemed interested in was blaming my saw.

Reply to
-MIKE-

----------------------------------------------------- The old adage applies.

There is no such thing as a cheap tool.

There is the quality tool you buy once and move on to other tasks.

There is the low inital cost tool that doesn't quite do the job and you replace it with another low inital cost tool in hopes of solving the quality issue. Sooner or later you buy the quality tool.

I bought the SD508 and yes it HURT at the time; however, knowing that everytime I reach for the SD-508, it's going to do the job makes the HURT go away a little faster.

Good luck.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

DerbyDad03 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Like everyone else said, that's your dado set.

You need a shoulder plane to clean it up (ignore what anyone else says, the only correct tool for cleaning up tenons is a shoulder plane). You need a shoulder plane anyway, because it's the only tool for fine-tuning tenons that are a tad thick, or the shoulders don't perfectly line up, and you get those problems every so often regardless of what you cut tenons with.

You don't want to force tenons into mortices in poplar. Sooner or later you'll split one of the morticed pieces. Poplar is not very strong in that regard.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

Sorry, I was not indicating that the blades had been resharpened so much as improperly sharpened to begin with.

I would say that you cannot expect Freud to be helpful if you are getting the results that "they" expect, for some people that is good enough.

Reply to
Leon

I'd do what Leon says (router table).

You have the bulk of the material already removed and once you dial in the router setup, 100 tenons will go faster than most any other method (plus you get a perfectly square part)

-BR

Brewster

True, very true.

Reply to
-MIKE-

By the way, if anyone reading this is using a dado set on their Ridgid table saw, you might want to check the model number of the saw before you continue.

I ran across a recall notice on the R4511 model. Apparently the arbor shaft fails when using stacked dado blades.

Reply to
-MIKE-

My dad's advice - either buy the least expensive tool you can, or the best quality tool you can.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Great advice! The problem from there would be knowing which you needed. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Precicely!

A tool that gives you repeated good results and calls for you to use it time and again is a great tool and you will seldom remember the sting of the price.

Reply to
Leon

Going a bit further with that...

Almost two years ago I bought an industrial SawStop and can probably only tell you withing $1000 how much I paid for it. This pretty much holds true with all of my Festool tools.

Way over 15 years ago I bought a PC Detail Sander. WHAT A POS. Off the top of my head I think I paid $129 for it. Looking that up for certain, I paid $128.22 on 9/20/1996.

If you focus too much on what you pay for a tool you loose sight on what you are trying to accomplish.

Reply to
Leon

(curved-bottom cut causes nonparallel tenons)

A wobble-type dado will cut a flat bottom of the width at which it was sharpened; you can set it to the flattest-bottom cut, then use a sacrificial fence to reveal the cutters to your tenon depth.

For a short stub, you could just use two or more cheapo blades (with washers to adjust for the tooth set) instead of a complete dado set. I've bought multiple on-sale blades for this purpose, but never got around to trying it. Hey, if they were all sharpened in the same batch, the diameters WILL match, just like a good dado set! This won't work well for wide cuts, though, it takes extra motor power.

Reply to
whit3rd