Is It Me Or My Dado Blade?

Page 2 of 3
On Saturday, January 31, 2015 at 8:24:48 AM UTC-8, Leon wrote:

My dadoes are usually rough straight from the saw, and sandpaper and a knife or chisel always come out for step #2. I don't mind doing some cleanup by hand.
The original poster was making tongues (tenons); a fixed setting would work for him.
My stacked dado set is steel, the wobbler is carbide; maybe I'll use the wobbler again someday.
But, I have stacked dado blades, and would usually use those instead.
On 1/31/2015 10:24 AM, Leon wrote:

'Bout damned time! LOL
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 1/31/2015 10:24 AM, Leon wrote:

That is why I got a stack up blade set - in metric. Plywood is mostly if not all metric. The stack up does imperial as well. My very old wobble is in the case - for the job just made for it.
Martin
On Saturday, January 31, 2015 at 7:49:31 AM UTC-8, Leon wrote:

[about wobble-blade adjustable dados]

Precisely: I've read the instruction sheet that came with my own blade; I find no copy online, but this article has the basic info, too (see Figure 1d especially)
<http://www.woodworkingseminars.com/wp-content/DadoBlades.pdf
On 1/28/2015 6:59 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote: Snip

That looks great.
On Wednesday, January 28, 2015 at 2:15:42 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

Thanks...just don't look too close at the tenons. They have the offending shoulder caused by the wobble blade.
I'm pretty sure I'm going to order the DeWalt dado set from Amazon for $117. Much better then what I have now but it won't break the bank based on the about of work it will see.
On 1/27/2015 9:04 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Too bad. Tkat's much more cove than you would normally get with a well made, properly set up and mounted, two bladed wobble dado in good shape.
If you took the time to set it up properly and it makes that much cove in 1/2", it is indeed a POS, so toss it.
Sorry it didn't work out for you, but I got the impression, since you had a new router table, that you didn't want to spring for a stacked dado set, so it was worth a try, eh?
Lots of ways to clean that up, low angle block plane, pattern makers rasp, router table/straight bit, table saw with regular kerf blade, for starters.
The only question is/was - do you want to take the time to clean them up, or spend the money on a quality tool?
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On Wednesday, January 28, 2015 at 8:31:25 AM UTC-5, Swingman wrote:

hink may need to buy a stacked dado set.

The only "set-up" option I think I have is to reduce the width of the dado to the bare minimum required to cut the tenon and still use the fence as th e length guide. That should reduce the wobble, but I don't know if it will be enough. It was getting late by the time I tested the Excalibur and I did n't want to spend any more time on it. The dog wanted to go out before bed and didn't seem to care that I was busy. I'll try again tonight.

Yes, it was definitely worth a try, but now that I've actually cut a stub t enon on the table saw, I can see that the method has it's merits. In additi on, owning a decent dado blade has it's advantages too. However, I don't kn ow that I can justify $200 for a Freud SD508. What are your thoughts on a S D208 for $85?
(Amazon.com product link shortened) f=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid22453431&sr=8-2&keywords=freud+sd508+dado

I believe the "quality tool" route is the way to go. The question now is: h ow much quality do I need? SD508 quality, SD208 quality, or something in be tween?
On 1/28/2015 8:05 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Depends upon how much you use a dado stack.
My guess, judging from your previous conversations, is that the less expensive 208 will likely be all you need and will obviously do the job MUCH better than that POS wobble you have.
Again, sorry the wobble blade didn't work out. My first dado blade was a double wobble, as it was pretty much all that was available back then, and you eventually learned to get relatively usable results out of it as a matter of necessity, fussy, and some cleanup was needed, but that was expected in those days.
While they are far from ideal compared to today's tools, don't believe all the naysayers ... when there IS nothing else, some mighty fine work can be done using one.
Just ask Norm ... ;)
Needless to say, a couple of methods used I hesitate to mention because of what would be considered safety issues these days.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On Wednesday, January 28, 2015 at 9:42:51 AM UTC-5, Swingman wrote:

...snip...
Maybe I'll split the difference. The DeWalt DW7670 has 24 teeth and 4 chippers, just like the SD508 but is $90 cheaper all-in with 20% off at Amazon:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
Thoughts?
On 1/28/2015 10:16 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Can't say for sure unless I used it, but it is far better than what you have. Considering the price difference and how much you will be using it, probably a good buy. DeWalt is not the best, but is usually decent and is certainly better than the really cheap stuff.
On 1/28/2015 9:16 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Keep in mind that some of the stacked dado sets have chippers that sometimes cut deeper and or shallower. This can happen if the arbor holes are close to a perfect on the arbor. The result is about as bad as using a wobble blade.
AND should you have the dado set sharpened you want all to be ground to the same diameter. Blades get a little bit shorter each time you sharpen them and this will really show up on a stacked set. I don't think you will every be sorry buying a quality dado set.
On 1/28/15 8:05 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Now, to throw more wrenches in the works.... I have the 208 and it does not cut perfectly flat. It leaves steps. I talked to Freud about it and all they would say is that maybe my arbor was worn, which was nonsense. My saw was fairly new at the time and every blade I put on it fits tight as a drum. It also leaves "bat ears*" on the edges of the cuts. *Google it.
Having said that, it cuts fine for everything I've needed, so far. If I'm cutting on an area that "will show" I need to do some minor clean-up. BUT, it's still way, way, way, way better than those wobble sets. Way better.
I only say all that so you can be an informed buyer. The 208s are hard to beat for under a hundred bucks. But they are far from perfect. If you do want perfectly flat and squared cuts, you will have to spend more money.
BTW, the guy at Freuds told me the Diablo and Freud sets are the same exact blades with different paint jobs, just in case you see a Diablo set for sale.
--

-MIKE-

On Wednesday, January 28, 2015 at 11:32:01 AM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:

Thanks for "informing this buyer". ;-)
I found this as a middle of the road option. There's a 20% discount available at Amazon, total price with tax is $117.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
On 1/28/15 10:42 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

The reviews look really good. Hmmm.... Now I'm tempted. :-)
--

-MIKE-

On Wednesday, January 28, 2015 at 11:50:21 AM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:

Of course, as soon as I click the "Payment" button at Amazon, someone in this group will post a link to a better dado set at a lower price. ;-)
"DerbyDad03" wrote:

----------------------------------------------------- The old adage applies.
There is no such thing as a cheap tool.
There is the quality tool you buy once and move on to other tasks.
There is the low inital cost tool that doesn't quite do the job and you replace it with another low inital cost tool in hopes of solving the quality issue. Sooner or later you buy the quality tool.
I bought the SD508 and yes it HURT at the time; however, knowing that everytime I reach for the SD-508, it's going to do the job makes the HURT go away a little faster.
Good luck.
Lew
My dad's advice - either buy the least expensive tool you can, or the best quality tool you can.
On 1/29/2015 12:53 PM, DJ Delorie wrote:

Great advice! The problem from there would be knowing which you needed. ;~)
"Leon" wrote in message
On 1/29/2015 12:53 PM, DJ Delorie wrote:

My dad's philosophy, common I've always thought among many who grew up in during the depression. Always suspected that had my folks won a $100 million lottery, Dad would have gone to his grave with $99,990,000 unspent. And, he would have begrudged my mother for foolishly spending the other $10k. I'll always buy the best tool/toy I can afford but, alas, it's more often than not like pulling teeth.
Dave in SoTex