Is it in market?

A bolt that has long head fashioned to be a nut at the top. Something like

__________________________ \ \________

________ / __________________________/

Where the narrow end has threads outside and broader end has a hole in the middle with threads inside.

Reply to
Romanise

I've never seen anything like that, but it seems to me that you could make one up by using a length of threaded rod for the narrow part, and a coupling nut (the type that's used for joining sections of threaded rod) for the wider part. Any decent hardware store should have what you need.

Doug Miller

You'll never find that at a hardware store, as you've probably guessed. Do you know anyone with a metal lathe? Start with a piece of hex stock of the appropriate size (the size of your large "nut"), Drill & tap the hole inside that end, and then turn a shoulder on the end you want the large thread on, and cut or turn a thread on that.

If there's a machine shop in your area, this shouldn't be more than a

10 minute job for them. Make sure you have the dimensions & threads (or an example piece to say "Make me 5 more just like this" or whatever).

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Looks like a standard threaded standoff used in electronics. What are the dimensions? Digi-Key sells them

(midway down) in the smaller sizes.

-Bruce

Reply to
BruceR

It just sounds like a standoff to me. You should be able to find them at any local hardware store, depending on what sizes and lengths you want.

Reply to
heyscott

Yes. It's call a hex threaded standoff. You may even see a few on the back of your computer. I've only see fairly small ones used in electronics. How large do you need one?

Reply to
Saudade

Try this link for EZ Lok threaded inserts:

are other brands on the market as well, do a Google search on threaded inserts and you'll get over

2,000 hits/links.
Reply to
Philip E. Davis

McMaster-Carr calls it a male-female threaded hex standoff. It can be found here:

Todd Fatheree

BruceR wrote

I need spacer/standoff that will give me 3.2cm space.

Having read advices on another thread rushed to a hardware store which claims to be hi-tech one, but could not find even a sample or a picture.

But now I am clear and should not have trouble to find or fashion what I need though it will take some time which is not much of a problem.

Thanks everyone for responding.

Reply to
Romanise

You'll probably need to take a 3.5cm and grind it to size.

Reply to
U-CDK_CHARLES\Charles

On 22 Jul 2004 00:48:50 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@lycos.co.uk (Romanise) calmly ranted:

As numerous guys told you on rec.crafts.metalworking, they are called "STANDOFFs".

How to Google Eastpondlike:

Click the radio button for "pages from the UK" Type "threaded+standoff" in the search field and hit Enter.

Bingo, caught one on the very first hit:

Refreshing Graphic Design

Reply to
Larry Jaques

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (heyscott) wrote

Went to two reasonably large hardware stores here in London. Not to any of DIY superstores yet. There are 2/3 big names. But as now I know what they are called I will find them.