Is it in market?

A bolt that has long head fashioned to be a nut at the top. Something like
__________________________ \ \________
________ / __________________________/
Where the narrow end has threads outside and broader end has a hole in the middle with threads inside.
(Romanise) wrote:

I've never seen anything like that, but it seems to me that you could make one up by using a length of threaded rod for the narrow part, and a coupling nut (the type that's used for joining sections of threaded rod) for the wider part. Any decent hardware store should have what you need.

You'll never find that at a hardware store, as you've probably guessed. Do you know anyone with a metal lathe? Start with a piece of hex stock of the appropriate size (the size of your large "nut"), Drill & tap the hole inside that end, and then turn a shoulder on the end you want the large thread on, and cut or turn a thread on that.
If there's a machine shop in your area, this shouldn't be more than a 10 minute job for them. Make sure you have the dimensions & threads (or an example piece to say "Make me 5 more just like this" or whatever).
Dave Hinz
Romanise wrote:

Looks like a standard threaded standoff used in electronics. What are the dimensions? Digi-Key sells them http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/T042/1143-1146.pdf (midway down) in the smaller sizes.
-Bruce

I need spacer/standoff that will give me 3.2cm space.
Having read advices on another thread rushed to a hardware store which claims to be hi-tech one, but could not find even a sample or a picture.
But now I am clear and should not have trouble to find or fashion what I need though it will take some time which is not much of a problem.
Thanks everyone for responding.

You'll probably need to take a 3.5cm and grind it to size.
snipped-for-privacy@lycos.co.uk (Romanise) wrote in message

It just sounds like a standoff to me. You should be able to find them at any local hardware store, depending on what sizes and lengths you want.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (heyscott) wrote

Went to two reasonably large hardware stores here in London. Not to any of DIY superstores yet. There are 2/3 big names. But as now I know what they are called I will find them.
Thanks everyone for responding.
Romanise wrote:

Yes. It's call a hex threaded standoff. You may even see a few on the back of your computer. I've only see fairly small ones used in electronics. How large do you need one?

Try this link for EZ Lok threaded inserts:
http://www.ezlok.com/index2.htm
There are other brands on the market as well, do a Google search on threaded inserts and you'll get over 2,000 hits/links.
--
Phil Davis
247PalmBeachRE.com

McMaster-Carr calls it a male-female threaded hex standoff. It can be found here: http://www.mcmaster.com/asp/enter.asp?pagenum047
todd
On 22 Jul 2004 00:48:50 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@lycos.co.uk (Romanise) calmly ranted:

As numerous guys told you on rec.crafts.metalworking, they are called "STANDOFFs".
How to Google Eastpondlike:
www.google.co.uk/ Click the radio button for "pages from the UK" Type "threaded+standoff" in the search field and hit Enter.
Bingo, caught one on the very first hit: http://www.keyelco.com/kec/standpro/prodcopy/prod30a.htm
--------------------------------------------------- I drive way too fast to worry about my cholesterol. --------------------------------------------------- http://www.diversify.com Refreshing Graphic Design