Is horse chestnut wood good for anything?

Page 3 of 6  


"Climate change" has been happening for billions of years.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I find it consistently amusing that the left, when challenged to present facts supporting their point of view, inevitably resorts to name calling instead.
Where, exactly, is the peer-reviewed science that supports your thesis that human beings are causing global warming?
Citations, please.
Secondary question: Do you support the US Democratic Party throwing hundreds of billions of invented dollars at their friends in the financial industries? If the answer is "yes", then please outline how you are going to explain the created debt to your children and grandchildren.
And "We had to do it" does't count. Pleae explain why the sophisticated and effective bankruptcy procedures are inadequate to deal with the current situation, and don't ignore the hundreds of thousand of dollars flowing directly back into political donations from the bailout money.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 19:09:22 -0600, Dave Balderstone

Hilarious. Here's living proof that there are two things that everyone has: an opinion and an asshole. And they both stink. Your opinion certainly qualifies.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Hint: personally abusing your opponent in a debate makes it obvious to all observers that you are unable to win the debate on the merits of your arguments.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Well, considering that respected scientists are demolishing the arguments for AGW weekly, abuse is all they have to fall back on.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 16:53:34 -0600, Dave Balderstone wrote:

I'm always curious when people quote "respected scientists" as to whom they're referring. Would you please give some names and lists of peer- reviewed articles on the subject that they've published in the appropriate scientific journals?
And if that information is available to you, an approximation of the numbers of those articles compared to the number supporting man caused/ enhanced global warming would be helpful.
--
Intelligence is an experiment that failed - G. B. Shaw

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I can certainly provide some links to relevant reporting on those articles.
But if you're interested in the subject, why not do your own research?
Anyway, here are some starting points (be sure to read the comments... actual scientists are posting):
<http://wattsupwiththat.com/2009/03/19/despite-popular-opinion-and-calls - to-action-the-maldives-is-not-being-overrun-by-sea-level-rise/>
<http://wattsupwiththat.com/2009/03/23/how-not-to-measure-temperature-pa rt-85-what-katrina-did-for-temperature-measurement/>
<http://wattsupwiththat.com/2009/03/22/weather-station-data-raw-or-adjus ted/>
<http://wattsupwiththat.com/2008/04/21/this-is-why-you-dont-put-an-offic ial-noaa-temperature-sensor-over-concrete/>
And, in case you are wondering about that pesky IPCC report, there are now 700 scientists disputing its conclusions, as compared to the 50 or so who wrote it:
<http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Minority.Blogs&Conten tRecord_id&74e64f-802a-23ad-490b-bd9faf4dcdb7>
<http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25182520-2703,00.htm l>
<http://www.warwickhughes.com/blog/?p 9>

That information is not available to me. But I'm curious, why is the number of articles relevant? There are a lot more people who own $300 direct drive table saws than $3000 cabinet saws. Does that mean they know more about woodworking and are better able to offer advice?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Depends. An ability to throw money at a something doesn't mean one is more qualified to comment. I'd argue that many woodworkers building things are more skilled at the craft because they have the ability to compensate for deficiencies in their equipment.
This is despite the argument that some who are willing to spend the money for better equipment might be considered to be more dedicated to woodworking and be more knowledgably skilled. It doesn't however, belie the fact that after a point, the preponderance of evidence usually points to the correct conclusion.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Until somebody exposes the interpretation of the evidence as false. The earth is not flat. Bumblebees can fly. The human body can survive speeds in excess of 30 mph. The sun does not orbit the earth. There are more than four elements, and they are not earth, air, fire and water.
Anthromorphic Global Warming has become an orthodoxy. That orthodoxy is being successfully challenged, and the orthodox can do nothing but scream "BLASPHEMER!" in response.
52 scientistist wrote the political document for the IPCC that has become the Koran of the AGW proponents. Today, more than 700 scientists are saying they disagree with its conclusions.
The data the AGW proponents have used is being shown to be either severely suspect or deliberately misrepresented or falsified, and they are howling as a result.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Dave Balderstone wrote:

As I said before, this is undoubtedly a waste of time since your beliefs are strong. However, look at http://www.nerc.ac.uk/about/consult/debate/climatechange/summary.asp for a decent summary of some of the topics that deniers embrace.
I think you DO know who Rush is.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

"Denier". Your use of the term is revealing. You are welcome to your orthodoxy. I do not embrace it.
"Topics". Not "evidence". Your use of the one term and not the other is revealing. You are welcome to your orthodoxy. I do not embrace it.
I'm a skeptic, in the tried, true and honest definition of the word.
I'm looking at the arguments and evidence for and against the existence of AGW, and the evidence supporting AGW is, in my analysis, severely lacking and the evidence against AGW is, in my analysis, growing stronger and stronger.

I've heard of him, and seen and read some news reports and commentary about him and the people who hate him. I have never listened to him, as I don't live in the US, and don't really care for the American style of blow-hard pundit talk radio regardless of the politics of the blow-hard pundit. Which is why I rarely listen to the radio when I do travel to the US. It's pretty much crap.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Dave Balderstone wrote:

.. snip

You see, in the mind of those on the left, if one holds conservative values it cannot be because the conservative has looked at history and observed what has worked, looked at how this nation has prospered because of economic freedom and the ability to keep much of the fruits of one's labors, or observed how, in every place it has been tried, the socialist agenda being promoted has always produced more poverty, more misery, and left its people lacking for even basic necessities. No, in the mind of the left, if one holds conservative values, it is because you are a mindless drone who has been brainwashed by someone such as Rush.
The funny thing is, this is simple projection -- for the most part, the left doesn't *think*, it *feels*. Decisions are made with emotions. You see people who are poor? Of course it just *feels* right that money should be taken from those considered rich and given to the poor. The fact that trillions of dollars have been spent this way since the 60's and those in poor areas are worse off now than before doesn't matter. It *felt* like the right thing to do and the people who did so should be judged by their intentions, not the results and unintended consequences. The ones being led are those on the left who are pushed by the media and their leaders to *feel* the problems pointed out and to use those *feelings* to support those in power who want to continue the failed policies of the past, or to implement policies that have been shown not to work all over the world -- only this time, their chosen, caring leaders are going to do it better, and it's going to work *this* time.
--
If you're going to be dumb, you better be tough

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload


I think I feel the need to point out that by saying that, aren't you projecting?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 16:21:50 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

Of course, typical conservative double standard. It's OK, though, because god told him so.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Hey, be glad he's not like my first wife. Everything she did was OK because SHE did it. And she's a liberal.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sun, 29 Mar 2009 12:02:31 -0700 (PDT), Charlie Self

That's a completely different matter -- and a higher power than god.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 14:40:25 -0700, Mark & Juanita wrote:

freedom ...
You really have the nerve to claim that given the current economic crisis? And you say liberals are illogical?
Unregulated free markets work great when everybody involved has the common good as a goal. That's about as likely as the communist dogma that man could be perfected :-).
--
Intelligence is an experiment that failed - G. B. Shaw

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Larry Blanchard wrote:

You really have the nerve to say that the crisis we are currently in is the result of a free, unregulated market? Yeah, liberals are definitely illogical (and don't have any sense of history either).
--
If you're going to be dumb, you better be tough

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

When lending money was unregulated, the insurance of same was also unregulated, the fox ate the chicken. (Eskimo fable) You cannot trust greedy people who use money to keep score of their 'success'.

I tend to see and subscribe to the ideological side of what used to be called conservatism. That, however, is miles removed from having one's head in the clouds and insisting that "if left alone, they will regulate themselves." Well, Mark, they WERE left alone and the just couldn't help them selves from helping themselves. The fox ate the chicken. YOUR version of conservatism refuses to overlook the fact that you cannot trust greedy foxes. Just because YOU are a trustworthy, upright man with a solid Christian ethic does NOT mean that those crazies at AIG et al, are like you. To think there is an honesty component in that crowd....is naive.

Let the record show that you refuse to admit that history makes it really clear that banks, insurance companies, and gamblers cannot stop themselves from screwing whoever they can....even after their so- called demise, they still manage to screw the serfs.
I am not defending the Left, as they are clearly on the same path as the previous bunch, but I can't stand it when the Right is being defended as 'self-regulators'.. because that is just plain incorrect...please DO check history, Mark. Your version is revisionist. You'd do well as a Legacy Adjuster for your hero, W.
SOMEbody Made-off with a lot of money.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Robatoy wrote:

<Time For A Reality Injection>
Sorry, but you are dead wrong about several things in this paragraph:
1) Money lending is not unregulated. Banking is a fairly regulated industry throughout most of the West anyway.
2) Ditto insurance - also a regulated industry, in the US it is done primarily by the States.
What went wrong here was multiple course of *government* intervention of the worst kind:
1) The U.S. government - in the form of its political rectal warts like Carter, Clinton, Frank, and Dodd - *distorted* market behavior by insisting that banks lend to borrowers who absolutely could not qualify under normal rules. They did this by promising the bankers they could keep the upside of such lending, but that "the government" would protect them from the downside when such borrowers defaulted. This created a perverse incentive for the banks (and AIG as their mortgage default insurance company) to take lots of risk knowing they'd never have to eat the downside. IOW, the very *regulation* that required banks to set lending standards when qualifying borrowers was *thwarted by the repulsive leftwing social justice idiots in government.* It was not a *lack* of regulation that caused it. It was the banks being *forced to ignore the regulation* by their own government that caused the problem.
2) When the silliness of the banks became evident, the *government* stepped in to try and save them from their bad decisions on the grounds that they were "too big too fail." Evidently, neither Bush nor the Obamessiah actually believe in market economies and could/can not comprehend that letting the banks/AIG fail is *exactly* what is needed here to clear all those toxic assets off their books in a bankruptcy proceeding.
The banks/AIG acted foolishly and should have been left to their own recovery.
W acted stupidly and prematurely and is properly condemned for his ridiculous bailout spending.
Obamessiah is acting *purposely* and with great malice toward market economies so as to install his socialist idiocy. He has managed to sell this as the bank's fault to the sheeple (as have his communist-lite fellow travelers around the world) while managing to keep most of the spotlight off the evil little trolls like Carter and Frank who actually precipitated the root causes of this whole mess.
The good news is that money and economies are neither neocon nor drooling-idiot liberal institutions. Economies happily ignore the ideological stupidities of either group. The Obamessiah's spending binge is a self-limiting problem that - while it is likely to result in vast destruction of Western wealth and American prestige - may have the salutary effect of reminding a new generation - the same silly children that voted for the Hopechangey Administration - just why their elders fought the cold war in opposition to the socialist/collectivist/communist regimes of the 20th century. Perhaps a few hundred million starving in the Western world will serve to teach them never to entrust their freedom and future to political offal like the current POTUS.
P.S. Don't forget to turn ON every light in your house at 8:30pm local time tonight.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tim Daneliuk snipped-for-privacy@tundraware.com PGP Key: http://www.tundraware.com/PGP /
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.