Is horse chestnut wood good for anything?

It looks like we are going to have to a large horse chestnut tree taken out. Is the wood good for anything?

If so, who might want it?

The trunk is about 2-3 feet across near the bottom. It looks like there might be some interesting burl-like pieces in several places.

Reply to
onemug

None of the tree books I have that describe Horsechestnut say anything about the properties of the lumber, but they do say that it's an "introduced" member of the Buckeye family, native to Asia and southeastern Europe. However, "The Encyclopedia of Wood" by the U.S. Department of Agriculture has this to say about Buckeye:

======== Buckeye consists of two species, yellow buckeye (Aesculus octandra) and Ohio buckeye (a. glabra). These species range from the Appalachians of Pennsylvania, Virginia, and North Carolina westward to Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas. Buckeye is not customarily separated from other species when manufactured into lumber and can be used for the same purposes as aspen (Populus), basswood (Tilia), and sapwood of yellow-poplar (Liriodendron tulipifera).

The white sapwood of buckeye merges gradually into the creamy or yellowish white heartwood. The wood is uniform in texture, generally straight grained, light in weight, weak when used as a beam, soft, and low in shock resistance. It is rated low on machinability such as shaping, mortising, boring, and turning.

Buckeye is suitable for pulping for paper; in lumber form, it has been used principally for furniture, boxes and crates, food containers, wooden ware, novelties, and planing mill products. ========

Based on all that, I don't think I would bother having it milled...

Reply to
Steve Turner

Sounds like it might be good for carving though, depending on how soft it is. You mention Aspen along with Poplar. Poplar is reasonably hard while aspen is much like basswood.

Reply to
sam

Don't know about the DofA definition, but in Ohio a Buckeye is defined as a worthless nut.

OSU fans not included.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I don't want it myself. I used to do a little woodworking, but not anymore. I just thought I'd see if is worth offering it to anyone.

It sounds like it is too soft for most uses.

Reply to
onemug

"Steve Turner" wrote in message news:RkEvl.21404$ snipped-for-privacy@nlpi065.nbdc.sbc.com... : snipped-for-privacy@e.mcc wrote: : > It looks like we are going to have to a large horse chestnut tree : > taken out. Is the wood good for anything? : >

: > If so, who might want it? : >

: > The trunk is about 2-3 feet across near the bottom. It looks like : > there might be some interesting burl-like pieces in several places. : : None of the tree books I have that describe Horsechestnut say anything : about the properties of the lumber, but they do say that it's an : "introduced" member of the Buckeye family, native to Asia and : southeastern Europe. However, "The Encyclopedia of Wood" by the U.S. : Department of Agriculture has this to say about Buckeye: : : ======== : Buckeye consists of two species, yellow buckeye (Aesculus octandra) and : Ohio buckeye (a. glabra). These species range from the Appalachians of : Pennsylvania, Virginia, and North Carolina westward to Kansas, Oklahoma, : and Texas. Buckeye is not customarily separated from other species when : manufactured into lumber and can be used for the same purposes as aspen : (Populus), basswood (Tilia), and sapwood of yellow-poplar (Liriodendron : tulipifera). : : The white sapwood of buckeye merges gradually into the creamy or : yellowish white heartwood. The wood is uniform in texture, generally : straight grained, light in weight, weak when used as a beam, soft, and : low in shock resistance. It is rated low on machinability such as : shaping, mortising, boring, and turning. : : Buckeye is suitable for pulping for paper; in lumber form, it has been : used principally for furniture, boxes and crates, food containers, : wooden ware, novelties, and planing mill products. : ======== : : Based on all that, I don't think I would bother having it milled... : : --

If it's that similar to basswood, someone who does a lot of carving or whittling might be interested in it.

Len

Reply to
Len

I've never done any woodworking with it -- but it makes *damn* good firewood. If you're anywhere near Indianapolis, I'd be happy to take it for that purpose.

Reply to
Doug Miller

About 2,000 miles away ;-) We're not allowed to burn anything in fireplaces around here. :-(

Reply to
onemug

Maybe you can buy some carbon credits from some third world country that has a good allocation from the new world government but has no infrastructure yet to generate much carbon on their own. Zimbabwai or Nambia come to mind, they could use the cash.

Oh wait, Obama hasn't had his cap-and-trade and world government budget passed yet. Maybe next year.

ote:

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Too far for me to bother bringing a trailer, I guess.

People's Republic of California?

Reply to
Doug Miller

And your plan is what? I suppose you would have voted for Bush again.

Reply to
Nucular Reaction

I'm an OSU graduate and I witnessed plenty of nuts along High Street, especially after beating Michigan in football. Woody Hayes was a nut of another kind, all by himself. The buckeyes are very good for dropping down crawdad holes.

Reply to
Phisherman

Fires and fireplaces are legal in California. Some municipalities no longer allow fireplaces in new construction (but that's not state-wide) and some areas forbid burning on nights when there is an inversion layer (10 or so nights per winter) (also not state-wide).

soctt

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

My plan is to agree with everything Obama says or does because thank God he isn't Bush. Yep, that's my plan....

Reply to
Steve Turner

Have two sons that are both OSU graduates.

Love that bumper sticker you see in Columbus:

Directions to Ann Arbor, North till you smell it, West till you step in it.

If you travelled north west Ohio during football season as I did, you best not go into a restaurant or bar before you found out if it was a Buckeye or Wolverine establishment.

They take their college football very seriously.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

An even larger threat is posed by the possibility of an errant spark during fire season.

You can have a 10,000 acre brush fire in a heart beat, especially if the winds are blowing.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Common Uses Baskets Boxes and crates Broom handles Brush backs & handles Brush backs & handles Building materials Cabinetmaking Carvings Decorative plywood Flooring Food containers Furniture Handles: general Interior construction Interior trim Moldings Plywood Pulp/Paper products Sporting Goods Tables Textile equipment Toys Turnery Veneer Veneer: decorative

Easy to saw, very easy to glue. Good results in Moulding. Very Stable.

Easy to work with hand tools. Fair to good results with turning or some report easy.

That is a good idea.

snipped-for-privacy@e.mcc wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

A LOT like poplar. Watch the bugs.

Reply to
Robatoy

Sweet chestnut yes, horse chestnut not so good.

It's OK. It's not terrible, but it's not good either. It's usable for most things, but there's always something that's better suited, better looking, or better lasting. You'd use it if you have it, but you wouldn't seek it out. It's also a bit variable and much depends on your individual tree.

(I'm in the UK, your local climate and species might change this)

As to carving it, I'd expect it to be workable but quite hard going. It's certainly not basswood.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I am not a Bush defender, I am a tax hater and a liberty lover.

I think it really sucks that governments just pick a thing and tax it. This cap-and-trade crap will tax our industries into the ground while China and others not only keep freely trashing our planet but also sell credits from the regions of wasteland where they haven't developed any industry yet.

Maybe our government will start tax> On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 10:01:36 -0700 (PDT), "SonomaProducts.com"

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com